What's new

Can purchase Dorico 2 for $195 - worth it?

Symfoniq

Dorico 2 is currently 30% off, and I'm also eligible for crossgrade pricing (I own Sibelius, but stopped upgrading after Avid layed off the UK team), bringing the total to $195. Is it worth it? Is Dorico the future? My primary DAW is Cubase, FWIW.

I happily switched during the 1.x period of the program. It is quite good. The output is beautiful. There is a learning curve. Like Sibelius, it is designed to work on keyboard shortcuts. Learn them, and no, they are not identical to Sibelius. But the UI is so much better than Sibelius. It is clean and fast. Get NotePerformer3 working with it. It is a wonderful writing platform.

I Would like to use Dorico with note performer 3.
Is ti possible to record each instrument by live playing ?

Thanks.

Has Dorico added the ability to have multiple voices on the same staff? Crucial for choral and orchestral music.

Has Dorico added automatic reading and naming of chords? Very helpful for analysis.

Has Dorico added roman numeral analysis? A must for musicologists, and students of all ages.

Has Dorico added the ability to assign hairpins readable by NotePerformer to all staves at once?

Has Dorico added playable repeats with first and second endings, D.C. al fine, etc.?

Has Dorico added the ability to change instruments on a single staff? Useful for situations where Oboe 2 witches to English Horn, or Flute 2 switches to piccolo, etc.

I was very hopeful about Dorico when it was initially released. At the time it seemed like a product that was unfinished. The above list are some of the missing things that caused me to say no to Dorico. Perhaps the Dorico team has now added these and other features that a pro level notation program should have?

Has Dorico added the ability to have multiple voices on the same staff? Crucial for choral and orchestral music.

Has Dorico added automatic reading and naming of chords? Very helpful for analysis.

Has Dorico added roman numeral analysis? A must for musicologists, and students of all ages.

Has Dorico added the ability to assign hairpins readable by NotePerformer to all staves at once?

Has Dorico added playable repeats with first and second endings, D.C. al fine, etc.?

Has Dorico added the ability to change instruments on a single staff? Useful for situations where Oboe 2 witches to English Horn, or Flute 2 switches to piccolo, etc.

I was very hopeful about Dorico when it was initially released. At the time it seemed like a product that was unfinished. The above list are some of the missing things that caused me to say no to Dorico. Perhaps the Dorico team has now added these and other features that a pro level notation program should have?
I can't answer all of these but I know when I was using my demo of Dorico 2 I could do multiple voices on one staff and in the setup if you assign multiple instruments to one player Dorico automatically switches instruments (including a player direction to do so). Even better is that you can see all the individual ones for writing if you switch to galley view (I think that's what it was called?) for easier writing. It saves having to input the switches yourself.

Can anyone please post a screenshot of Dorico Pro price in ***USD*** with the Coupon applied?
Much obliged.
Thanks

Can anyone please post a screenshot of Dorico Pro price in ***USD*** with the Coupon applied?
Much obliged.
Thanks

y4mY4PEB1ww55K7I6AbHE0b6JW77QIqdeQYLOYM2-nJaNljGKn7P-5-REzRHdX2m6wMHxBMn79TK5hHLRhIAq0sBUXHB1IqQtw5gk-6EktmhmtMUaxngcczqBBAtx9tMCBkVxb97BhgZ-3eRpUuOM3Z4bNHtbf_S7EBIkDIaIeMyFQDoxl8C6YfHRnQxhqQR1MF-gdWYTzXop8Cjpk3GQMN6w

Dorico 2.2 is very powerful. Their YouTube channel has some great learning tools plus of course the manual. On top of that, their forum is great for getting answers to those questions you just can't figure out yourself.

Been having a play with it coming from sibelius - it's really nice to work with. Definitely need to spend a bit of time setting up your own hot keys for certain tasks.

One downside for me was that there's no way to listen to the score verbatim unless you reset all your huamnised midi data in the PLAY section. In sibelius one can simply click a button to alternate between the two modes of playback.

About to purchase Dorico Elements (can’t afford Pro), but i have one question:
The trial of Elements doesn’t seem to be able to record *note duration* in free midi record mode. Can anyone say if this the same in Pro mode?
Thanks.

Edit: Anyone?
Edit 2: Yes, Elements has same Midi live recording like Pro. but while testing I found that there is a very small amount of vst instruments supported.

Last edited:
Top Bottom