What's new

SAURON - The DAW All Media Composers Must Learn???

I already commented on the video, and so risk repeating myself, but I wanted to say here how great a thing this was for you to organize, and to share with the rest of us. Maybe it's just what the kids call FOMO, or maybe something deeper, but it's had a real effect on me.

I've been too isolated and too static for way too long. This has lit a fire under my ass to finally kick things into gear, to really get involved in "the community," to get myself out there any way I can. I've been coasting along trying to make the music thing happen for years. Time to actually make it happen.

Christian, each time I watch your videos, I am thinking how great it would be to have you as a neighbour. We would definitely share a couple of beers (or tea!).

"Every day we record or sample is a month of post production! And we recorded for 80 days". That's truly amazing. That's 6 and a half years working on the BBCSO!

How much material gets recorded in a 6-hr day? Let's say two hours. So, you edit and process and do all of the other stuff required to release a product.... it takes 160 hours to process 2 hours or recorded material? Sorry, that does not sound right.

How much material gets recorded in a 6-hr day? Let's say two hours. So, you edit and process and do all of the other stuff required to release a product.... it takes 160 hours to process 2 hours or recorded material? Sorry, that does not sound right.

Incorrect I’m afraid. We usually get about 35-40 minutes of final material per hour of session time. Our session day is either 3 x 3h or 4 x 2h so either 8 or 9 hours of recording time per day.

Last edited:
So, instead of two hours per day, you are getting about 5 1/2 hours per day? Ok, thanks for that.

So 5 1/2 hours (give and take) of material takes 160 hours to process? Which means to process, it takes literally around 30 hours for every one hour? that still doesn't sound right.

So, instead of two hours per day, you are getting about 5 1/2 hours per day? Ok, thanks for that.

So 5 1/2 hours (give and take) of material takes 160 hours to process? Which means to process, it takes literally around 30 hours for every one hour? that still doesn't sound right.

so, back of the envelope, take 1h at, say, 10s per sample = 360 samples x 80 mics = 28800 audio files.

Then if you have legato sample there's probably a huge amount of delicate alignments and whatever else ... say 24 legato samples per note, which each need to be aligned and faded smoothly into other notes ....

Anyway, 30 hour then gives you about a budget of about 5 minutes per sample - and I really doubt its even possible to cut and align samples that quickly, so I'm probably way off in the average length of samples.

I used to make extremely low budged radio documentaries. When I started I though it would maybe take three or four hours of work to produce an hour of audio. Turned out 30:1 was far closer to the ration of effort to output that it actually required. So not sure that I'd expect sample libraries would be any easier.

So not saying I know what it takes to make a top flight sample library. But just saying that 1:30 sounds entirely reasonable. Hyperproductive even.

So much fun, everyone was so open and eager to chat. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Thx Christian

Yep, tons of fun, thanks again for organizing it Christian. Best of success with your LA office and with Spitfire's wider educational initiative.

so, back of the envelope, take 1h at, say, 10s per sample = 360 samples x 80 mics = 28800 audio files.

Then if you have legato sample there's probably a huge amount of delicate alignments and whatever else ... say 24 legato samples per note, which each need to be aligned and faded smoothly into other notes ....

Anyway, 30 hour then gives you about a budget of about 5 minutes per sample - and I really doubt its even possible to cut and align samples that quickly, so I'm probably way off in the average length of samples.

I used to make extremely low budged radio documentaries. When I started I though it would maybe take three or four hours of work to produce an hour of audio. Turned out 30:1 was far closer to the ration of effort to output that it actually required. So not sure that I'd expect sample libraries would be any easier.

So not saying I know what it takes to make a top flight sample library. But just saying that 1:30 sounds entirely reasonable. Hyperproductive even.

Thanks. Sorry, but that doesn't add up. Look, I know these things take time, and have alot of energy and effort put into them. And i appreciate what the developers do for the rest of us - have you ever edited and built a library of shorts? You have the original recording in your DAW, you chop the samples (making sure you choose the proper start and end point), you don't process them (remember, SFA said some time back the don't process their samples) you export each individual sample, and you build your Kontakt patch. A few hours of recorded material can be done in one day, if you know what you are doing. Don't believe me? Try it some time. Then there is some scripting (the bulk of which is already done), and some other stuff to do, but that's it - it's not as involved as many seem to think it is. Legatos will take considerably longer, of course, and that will add to the overall average. But it really takes 160 hours to process 51/2 hours of material? Can't be.

Well, not THAT long!

I think they mean editing samples, not orchestral PROGRAMMING. I'm not sure you've ever attempted to make a sample library(most of us haven't) but you could create an exercise for yourself to understand the time it takes pretty quickly by just trying to re-create a simple spiccato patch.

find something with say 6x RR per note. Play in (not step sequence) 6 notes in a row per dynamic range, on every white key from the bottom of the instrument's range all the way to the top. Make a track per microphone available - then individually cut each sample at the appropriate start point and fade out, organize your tracks, render them out into a folder - then create a kontakt instrument - and create your groups and zones for each note using your samples.

if you can reacreate a 6 round robin per dynamic layer(with atleast 3 dynamic layers) celli instrument with 3 mics all appropriately crossfaded and grouped so mics can be disabled and routed - in under 30 hours, I'll be impressed. And it'd had better be perfectly edited or it'll end up like that thread complaining about ark 1 shorts lol

for some perspective - a library like SCS is 72697 samples.If each sample only took a total of 1 minute worth of editing/exporting/adding to the instrument in it's entire lifespan - thats 1,211 hours, or 151 work days. (30 weeks of 40 hr work weeks)

Thanks. Sorry, but that doesn't add up. Look, I know these things take time, and have alot of energy and effort put into them. And i appreciate what the developers do for the rest of us - have you ever edited and built a library of shorts? You have the original recording in your DAW, you chop the samples (making sure you choose the proper start and end point), you don't process them (remember, SFA said some time back the don't process their samples) you export each individual sample, and you build your Kontakt patch. A few hours of recorded material can be done in one day, if you know what you are doing. Don't believe me? Try it some time. Then there is some scripting (the bulk of which is already done), and some other stuff to do, but that's it - it's not as involved as many seem to think it is. Legatos will take considerably longer, of course, and that will add to the overall average. But it really takes 160 hours to process 51/2 hours of material? Can't be.

do you have a staccato patch you've programmed?

Top Bottom