What's new

Cajun accordian/melodeon VST??

jerrydf

Jerry Foss
Hi all, does anyone know of a virtual instrument, kontakt, whatever .. for a Cajun accordian? Preferably a Marc Savoy real honking genuine Cajun box?

Thanks
Jerry

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
I use Sonokinetic for Buckwheat Zydeco style playing.
Watchu gonna do, when da Zydeco.....tones it up on you...
It has a few different reedy concertina and accordions that have the buttons too.

I grew up playing the real deal. So it’s pretty nice but for true realism you need to sit and use dual expression pedals or sequence the movements on a DAW then play your notes over the automations.

I’d record the buttons with the expression as it’s the more difficult parts, then loop the phrases and just jam out over the recording.

OP
jerrydf

jerrydf

Jerry Foss
Thanks, good suggestion. It doesn't quite sound like a Marc Savoy, but it is interesting and good quality. I'll likely end up buying this (I always do).

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
I love the quality and variation of PolkaSounds Kit.
You could use 2 instances, slightly define one and stick a BandPass Filter on the other and get a little Creole tone going.
For more authentic Guitar solos I use PBend across 2 instances.
1 instance gets a value of 1 for PBend, the other a value of 2 for PBend.
When the wheel is engaged the detuning is greatly exaggerated so just wiggling it slightly gives you that authentic sound.

I do this with dual instances of Chris Hein’s Harmonica and it’s tons of fun.
Cajun Fiddle is fun like this too.

Polkasound

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Jerry, I don't know that I've come across an authentic sampled Cajun box yet. Until one is sampled, Chimuelo's workaround should get you in the ballpark. I don't sell any Cajun-tuned boxes, but the Old German Concertina combined with a piano accordion or bayan, and processed accordingly, might work.

OP
jerrydf

jerrydf

Jerry Foss
Thanks for the suggestions. I have quite a few Polkasound instruments and they're all great quality and just right for their sound, but don't quite fit the cajun box sound. I'll try those combinations, it's quite fun experimenting, with eq and chorus effects too, duplicating rows, etc.
The Marc Savoy box is really interesting to me - a really beautiful honking sound. The melodeon player in our ceilidh band had one some years ago (I live in Warwickshire UK, not Cajun country!), and it is a unique sound.
I'll try those suggestions, much appreciated.

Top Bottom