Bye bye Kontakt?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by arcy, Mar 14, 2019.

1. steveo42

steveo42 Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    I'm at 400Mbps and really haven't noticed any difference between NI vs other companies like ToonTrack or XLN etc. Sure when something new gets released servers tend to slow down, even Microsoft and IBM have that problem.

Generally I kick off something like this at night and in the morning it's done.

How often are you downloading data?

Akarin likes this.
  2. Robert_G

Robert_G It really is just an expensive hobby for me

Feb 6, 2019
    How often someone downloads is irrelevant. The year is 2019 and 15Mbits per second is not acceptable customer service.

And just as a comparison, i dowloaded from soundiron a few days ago at 280Mbits per second. Took a couple minutes to download a product

3. KMA

KMA Member

Sep 25, 2017
    I hadn't thought about that.
    That's definitely some functionality that I would miss.

4. Lindon

Lindon KSP Developer

Jul 27, 2010
    Republic of Yorkshire
    ..no thats def. no longer true...the solution is out there --- just not at Spitfire or Orchestral Tools...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  5. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Can't say I've ever had slow download issues with NI. It might not even be an NI issue, especially if they're using Amazon servers or similar to distribute files.

6. dcoscina

dcoscina Senior Member

Nov 16, 2004
    I have never been too fond of Kontakt and its GUI to be honest and I'm super happy that OT and other developers are working on their own players much like VSL did years back.

That said, and as many others have noted, NI Kontakt isn't going away anytime soon. Way too many developers still write their libraries for that software.

arcy and muziksculp like this.
  7. James H

James H 01001000 01101001

Dec 20, 2018
    UK
    This should have been slide 1 in Spitfires PowerPoint presentation to the board :roflmao:

arcy likes this.
  8. lucianogiacomozzi

lucianogiacomozzi Active Member

May 26, 2013
    London
    Kontakt has a much bigger community than Spitfire or OT have - I can fix nearly all the issues I have with Kontakt myself - if not, I can find someone that has had, and fixed, the issue I'm having with a quick Google. That is what Kontakt is, it's the time it's been around, the problems and their fixes, the guides, the knowledge bases, the great people that just know it all inside out (EvilDragon and such). That to me makes it worth buying for.

EgM and Land of Missing Parts like this.
  9. steveo42

steveo42 Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Same here, with the exception of when NI begins their usual summer sale. Not sure why download speed would be such a major criteria for acceptance, but if it is for some people, then maybe it's time to move to another product. It's that simple.
    For me, I'd like to see a fully scalable interface.

10. Robert_G

Robert_G It really is just an expensive hobby for me

Feb 6, 2019
    There are several (posts) complaints at the NI forums about Native Acesss dowload speeds over several time periods. Its a constant problem and youll also see that NI doesnt respond to any of them. Again....shows they dont care

11. Diablo3

Diablo3 New Member

Feb 28, 2019
    Labs Spitfire free plugin performance wise is not good in Reaper Windows 10, it's a cpu hug (after a while) when you have to use several instances instead of having multi out as Kontakt. So nope... Kontakt ftw... even if they don't care...