Bye bye Kontakt?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by arcy, Mar 14, 2019.

1. arcy

arcy Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Italy
    Hi guys, I recently saw the new Orchestral Tools Sampler. Spitfire recently released choirs, evolutions, HZ strings and LABS with their proprietary sampler too.
    What do you think about it?

2. Ben H

Ben H Senior Member

Mar 7, 2009
    I think your thread title is ridiculous

Tekkera, Abdulrahman, rhye and 13 others like this.
  3. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    UK
    Not anytime soon. The OT and SA players are proprietary, not designed for third party content. Also, both companies are still committed to releasing Kontakt products.

I think Kontakt's reign of terror will last a little longer. ;)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  4. OP
    OP
    arcy

arcy Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Italy
    I love you too...

Fredeke, Tekkera, Abdulrahman and 9 others like this.
  5. Ben H

Ben H Senior Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Oh, right. I didn't realise that you were only trolling for opinions that agree with your own.

6. So its all becoming very exciting. New GUIs abound from many established studios: Spitfire Audio, Orchestral Tools, Best Service, UVI. Who else?

But for me Kontakt is still king. Why? Because as far as I can tell no other GUI allows each instrument to output through separate channels, which for me is essential for my workflow.
    The Spitfire GUI is good, but for most professionals it isn't good enough. It lacks the ability to route its Mics through separate channels, and takes up too much screen space, although its window is scalable - I would prefer the ability to have all controls in a single window pane - just as the Kontakt GUI almost does.

TheSigillite, Akarin and arcy like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    arcy

arcy Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Italy
    Maybe proprietary samplers were build to fill the gap from what Kontakt can offer in terms of sampling technology and what those companies really need to improve.

8. Alex Fraser

Jun 21, 2017
    UK
    You're probably right, but I think the new players are primarily about wanting to monetise outside of the constraints of NI's tech and ecosystem. Or perceived ones anyway. Nothing wrong with that..we can't begrudge a business wanting to turn a profit.

JohnG likes this.
  9. thesteelydane

thesteelydane Senior Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Hanoi, Vietnam
    I think Kontakt will be the sampler of choice for most small developers for a long time. The efficiency and possibilities it offers is just second to none.

10. OP
    OP
    arcy

arcy Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Italy
    I think you are right, but if a developer wants to sell for Kontakt Player have to pay a generous fee to NI, otherwise buyers have to buy the full versions ok Kontakt.

11. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Doesn't the UVI player allow this? (Not at my DAW at the moment)

12. Lode_Runner

Lode_Runner Senior Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I trust Kontakt to still be around and working 3 or more operating system upgrades from now, therefore I trust my Kontakt sample libraries to still work for a long time into the future. I don't trust proprietry players to last as long - if a developer stops developing new libraries, they're likely to stop updating their players as well. It's half the reason I didn't buy into the Eric W Choir or the Hans Z Strings. I might be being too cautious about this though.

rudi, Inceptic and zimm83 like this.
  13. Daryl

Daryl Senior Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Kontakt is going nowhere. If anyone's propriety player was opened up and then knock Kontakt off its perch it would have been VSL.

rudi, Ben and marclawsonmusic like this.
  14. thesteelydane

thesteelydane Senior Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Hanoi, Vietnam
    Yes, but in my experience most people who are interested in what smaller developers make, all have the full version of Kontakt already. Sure, it's a smaller market, but it's big enough to make it worth it.

15. poetd

poetd Active Member

Sep 9, 2018
    For those with more history in the game - How big an impact did "Play" have on EastWest?

I know their products are a fraction of what they once cost (Hollywood was over $1000 at release?) and now seem to be on almost permanent sale.

How much of that was down to "Play" or was the decline before that?

rudi likes this.
  16. reutunes

reutunes Senior Member

May 1, 2012
    A flashy video can sell anything. I'm waiting to get my hands on it before I judge.

S R Krishnan, d.healey and arcy like this.
  17. ChristopherT

ChristopherT New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    None of these "players" have anywhere near the depth under the hood as Kontakt.
    A newer UI for Kontakt would be great, and probably being contemplated by NI as these new libraries come online (even though they are all crippled in comparison)
    Kontakt is the ONLY player that is able to run many different libraries.
    So - no goodbyes from me :)

rudi likes this.
  18. Alex Fraser

Jun 21, 2017
    UK
    Another thing to consider: Spitfire (and presumably) OT are growing quickly, taking on new staff and offices. Staff have mortgages to pay, shareholders need a return... and suddenly relying solely on Kontakt looks like an extreme risk. It's tech 100% controlled by another (rival!) company.

NI have been moving Kontakt away from it's traditional role as a sampler for some time. If you're working in Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt appears in a sort of "headless" mode without the library browser etc. It's less of a sampler, more of an "engine" for most people.

And yep - for the "power user" Kontakt is still where it's at.

JohnG likes this.
  19. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Not really. Well, Kontakt was always an "engine".

Same thing happens with all other NI plugins like Reaktor, Massive, etc. You can always reach the edit mode, though.

20. OP
    OP
    arcy

arcy Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Italy
    This.