What's new

BWW and SCS broken after updating to Kontakt 6.6.0

OP
borisb2

borisb2

trying to get to the bottom of this .. was 6.6.0 the first VST3 version on Windows? should I have known that?

from NI-forum:
6.6.0 - 2021-07-06
VST3 Target, User content base path, flexible EVENT_PAR routing.
  • ADDED Kontakt now also provides a VST3 target
  • REMOVED 32bit VST2 target is no longer provided
sounds like yes - first vst3-version. correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:

alanmcp

This is why I think it's not very wise for library developers to make libraries based only on the latest Kontakt version. They should make libraries that are still compatible for older versions.
I've been asking that for years! They say it's too much work on their part to have multiple versions, but at least the older versions work...

OP
borisb2

borisb2

yep .. kind of a shame I'm experiencing all that just because of 1 library I wanted to play.

Last edited:

mscp

I updated to latest Kontakt 6.6.x (Win10) - so far so good. Suddenly ALL legato patches from BWW (both legacy and revive) in my Cubase-template sound very funky and broken. Re-loading the same patch fixes it.
But I have 900 tracks in my template. Do I have to check now every patch?? What the FUCK? Who is QC-ing that shit before release?
Same here, but with the Strings' Whole Ensemble patch. The patch doesn't even load when I load up the VEP template. It's really odd. I have to switch it to another patch and back to it every single time. It's a bit frustrating.

Last edited:

jcrosby

well .. I bought Landforms .. that required 6.6.0 unfortunately .. had a happy life before
So Omnisphere????????

(Sorry mate! Bad form. I couldn't' resist :P ) Honestly this is sounds thoroughly painful. If I were on windows I'd PM you an installer but also on mac. I really don't understand why NI refuses to make the last one or two point versions available.)

OP
borisb2

borisb2

Wait, huh? I’m not using v6.6.0 with Landforms….working fine with 6.5.3 and that’s what’s listed on the S+A website:

View attachment 53491
I guess I was on an older version than 6.5.3 .. so in Native Access I only could update to the latest.

Thanks for checking - that makes me hopeful again and I will definitly push to get a downgrade from NI

So Omnisphere????????

(Sorry mate! Bad form. I couldn't' resist :P ) Honestly this is sounds thoroughly painful. If I were on windows I'd PM you an installer but also on mac. I really don't understand why NI refuses to make the last one or two point versions available.)
Haha.. I knew this would come up from the other thread.. yes, I plead guilty

Last edited:

Toecutter

Let's end this peacefully
trying to get to the bottom of this .. was 6.6.0 the first VST3 version on Windows?
Yep it's the first vst3 version ever, Mac or Windows, it's the big thing about 6.6. Thanks for taking one for the team, I won't update until you get 100% sorted :thumbsup:

VSriHarsha

Apologies for not posting BWW related.

My experience of kontakt 6.6.0 is reverse, my Berlin strings legato sounds awkward, it sounds like portamento everywhere (previous kontakt via VEP 7). And now everything sounds back to normal after upgrading to kontakt 6.6.0.
That is confusing. You said legato sounds awkward in 6.6.0 but then you also mention it’s back to normal after upgrading to 6.6.0.
Wait: Ok Kontakt is weird with VEP 7 & not with your DAW, right?

OP
borisb2

borisb2

Yep it's the first vst3 version ever, Mac or Windows, it's the big thing about 6.6. Thanks for taking one for the team, I won't update until you get 100% sorted :thumbsup:
so just to confirm: before 6.6.0 there was no C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 - folder? Meaning by disabling the Kontakt.vst3 file I am back to where I was before .. pretty much?

If thats the case I could look if I have a version of my main template that I didnt open and save with VST3 .. and could scramble something together to get my full template back

holywilly

That is confusing. You said legato sounds awkward in 6.6.0 but then you also mention it’s back to normal after upgrading to 6.6.0.
Wait: Ok Kontakt is weird with VEP 7 & not with your DAW, right?
Awkward in 6.5.3, fine in 6.6.0 via VEP. Everything is fine when loading directly from DAW.

Al Maurice

Awkward in 6.5.3, fine in 6.6.0 via VEP. Everything is fine when loading directly from DAW.
What we're up against is compliance to the VST3 spec.

VST2 is fairly ubiquitious now and it's nuances are well supported by most plugin and DAW producers.

On the other hand, VST3 being a proprietory spec not so much.

This is why I think it's not very wise for library developers to make libraries based only on the latest Kontakt version. They should make libraries that are still compatible for older versions.
As far as I know libraries are always encoded with the latest Kontakt version by NI. I don't think you can tell NI to encode the library with a specific earlier Kontakt version...

Toecutter

Let's end this peacefully
so just to confirm: before 6.6.0 there was no C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 - folder? Meaning by disabling the Kontakt.vst3 file I am back to where I was before .. pretty much?

If thats the case I could look if I have a version of my main template that I didnt open and save with VST3 .. and could scramble something together to get my full template back
The C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 folder is the place where your VST3 instruments and plugins reside (not Kontakt exclusive), just like C:\Program Files\vstplugins is the place for the VST2 stuff (.dll extension). The reason I suggested renaming the .vst3 extension was to force Cubase to load the VST2 variant. When you have both the .vst3 and .dll files in your system, Cubase will prioritize the VST3.

thesteelydane

Bunker Samples
We try, but they keep introducing tasty new possibilities for developers with each new version. Personally I still develop for Kontakt 5, but I can understand why someone who could be able to make a better product for Kontakt 6 would be tempted. If nothing else Kontakt 6 has Developer Tools, which makes life a lot easier for us - that alone makes it tempting.

Top Bottom