What's new

Buying new studio monitors! Confused with choices!

clisma

And the idea that you shouldn't have a subwoofer because it's producing frequencies you don't want to deal with makes no sense to me. Why would you not want to know whether you're sending out unwanted thuds and pops below the cutoff of your other drivers?

Now, subs *can* have different problems when they're not integrated well as part of a monitoring system. But that's a totally different issue from rejecting them because they produce low frequencies.
Because you might live in an apartment as opposed to a house. Because if all you can hear is bass floating around your room your decision-making process will be compromised. Because it may not be mandatory for the style of music you write. It really depends on the room.

Either way, I’d argue that adding a subwoofer at a later time is pretty easy, and since I’m trying to stay within the practical realm of addressing what the OP requires, I would indeed add it at a later point. But hey, it’s a subjective decision for everyone and that’s totally fine; your point is quite valid.

Nick Batzdorf

Because you might live in an apartment as opposed to a house. Because if all you can hear is bass floating around your room your decision-making process will be compromised. Because it may not be mandatory for the style of music you write. It really depends on the room.
Nein.

Well, if you live in an apartment and can't bother neighbors, all bets are off no matter what.

But most small speakers - meaning the 6" - 8" range (give or take) - cut off at about 60Hz. That doesn't mean useful response, it means they cut off so you hear nothing below 60Hz.

Things like hammer thuds and vocal pops are around 55Hz or lower. I recently caught one of those in an Omnisphere patch before sending some music off - which isn't to dis Omnisphere; on the contrary, it's to say even carefully programmed instruments like Omnisphere can have the stray thing like that. And synths in general are going to produce very low freqs.

Next hypothesis: having a sub or just having bass below small speakers' cutoff = overpowering bass or only bass. Well, that's only true if you turn the bass up too loud! Besides, subs that cross over at 80Hz are in the rumble range.

Accurate bass isn't overpowering, it's accurate.

As to the style of music, well, I personally want the main speakers I work on to tell me what's on the recording, not what their opinion is. That's independent of the style, although it's great having more than one reference.

Nick Batzdorf

Oh, and adding a sub later is okay as long as you know it's going to integrate well with your speakers. That's a moderately-sized if.

By the way, in the NS-10 days (NS-10s didn't go down very low) some engineers would put their hands on the cones to feel for stray rumble.

Kaufmanmoon

Matthew Kilford
You are right of course. But this has been mentioned above, and the OP has said he has a separate budget for acoustic treatment available.
I missed this as I only read the original post. I've now wasted a minute or so trying to find the post you've mentioned and that's good to hear. I wish him well with his purchase of new speakers and stuff.

Top Bottom