Buy a New MacMini or Reformat It

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by leogardini, Nov 27, 2018.

1. leogardini

leogardini Senior Member

HI there,

I've got a MacMini (late 2014 quad core 3.0ghz) as my main computer where I only process Logic and reverb.

I am getting some CPU overload which seems to be getting worse over time.

I have never reformatted this machine since I bought it because i've heard that you don't need to do that with Macs. Recently I've heard that this is not totally true and we should reformat our machine once in a while.

While i am not sure what is the truth I am also considering buying a new machine.

Putting aside the financial cost and considering that I cannot afford stopping to work for more than one or two days what would you recommend me to do.

Reformat this machine or buy the new MacMini which has 6 cores?

2. Prockamanisc

Prockamanisc Senior Member

Jul 15, 2015
    New Orleans
    If you can afford the new Mac Mini without breaking a sweat, then I'd say do it. It might not be a bad idea to have a second machine there as a backup in case one fails. Or you could get the new one up and running while you reformat the old model, then return the new one...unless you vastly prefer the new one (in which case, you should tell us about it).

As for the CPU overload, I have no idea. In my experience, updating the operating system makes the speed incrementally worse.

3. OP
    OP
    leogardini

leogardini Senior Member

Giving a trial to the new MacMini sounds like a smart idea.

4. galactic orange

galactic orange Sensor Number

Jun 23, 2016
    The 2014 Mac Mini was only offered in dual-core. So while it might be an i7, a jump to a 2018 6-core i7 will be an immense boost in processing power. The jump from my 2012 quad-core i7 Mini to the 2018 i7 model is roughly double the processing power. And since it's technically possible to upgrade the RAM yourself up to 64GB (I'll install 32GB in mine tonight) I think the difference is worth it. But I'm still keeping my old Mini around just in case.

5. mauriziodececco

mauriziodececco Maurizio, composer and piano player in Paris

Dec 4, 2017
    Regarding the old Mini, i would check that there is nothing unexpected slowing it down, in the activity manager, and i would check if there is anything unwanted in LaunchDaemons/LaunchAgent, expecially if you don't stay at the latest Mac OS X version. You never know, i had a friend having a MacBook Pro she tough was getting old, but she had tons of malware and other stuff running.

6. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior Member

Aug 23, 2012
  7. OP
    OP
    leogardini

leogardini Senior Member

900gb

That is not the problem at all.

gdoubleyou likes this.
  8. Are you 100% sure it's a quad core? Also, how much Ram?

9. OP
    OP
    leogardini

leogardini Senior Member

The Logic cores meter shows me 4 cores but in the computer spec it says 3 ghz intel Core i7.
    I've got 16 gigas of ram but usually don't use anything more than what the system and Logic requires.

I guess this is a Logic problem because the peaks mostly happen when I hit play. If i don't get a overload warning from Logic the cores go down after the cursor starts running.

10. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 11:36 AM
  11. Damarus

Damarus Composer n stuff

Nov 15, 2017
    Correct, the 2014 mac mini i7 4578U is a dual-core hyperthreaded 'mobile' processor.

The 2018 Mac mini will be insanely faster. Especially if you are using a Fusion/HDD boot drive currently.

galactic orange likes this.