What's new

Bunker Strings Vol. 2 - what would you like to see?

OP
thesteelydane

thesteelydane

Also, this might take some advance practice, and you're probably not gonna have a bass with a high C string, but here's an "arco that almost sounds like pizz" technique.
I actually did sample something like this already, because I use it in my own live looping viola stuff all the time. The thing is, it only really works as double stops on violin, viola, and cello, whereas on bass it sounds awesome on a single string. I might release the bass samples of that as an update to Vol. 1 soon.

OP
thesteelydane

thesteelydane

I was watching this recently and found her "Eurostar" sounds pretty interesting:

EDIT: Cool/weird part starts around 3:00.
That is very cool, but it was already done by Spitfire in LCO strings - it's what they call spectral scrubs, minus the glissando of course. Garth Knox calls it circular bowing, and I'm not sure I can improve upon what Spitfire has already done. Worth thinking about though, thanks!

DSmolken

I actually did sample something like this already, because I use it in my own live looping viola stuff all the time. The thing is, it only really works as double stops on violin, viola, and cello, whereas on bass it sounds awesome on a single string. I might release the bass samples of that as an update to Vol. 1 soon.
Do you know if that bowing has an "official" name, btw?

I think you could do spectral scrubs, maybe slower and faster ones to do something Spitfire didn't. And the other thing I've been trying lately is jete bowing, but with the strings muted like they would be for a pizz ghost note (on bass or cello, anyway). That just makes a noise with no defined pitch, but if you have the note fingered at the start and drop the pressure so it mutes while the bow's bouncing, or start muted and then press the note down towards the end, it'll be pretty cool for making noisy, somewhat chaotic textures that still have a defined pitch.

Or did you already do that too? I'll admit I watched the walkthrough when these were first released, but don't remember all the sounds in it that clearly, haha.

mikeh-375

old school
Check out some George Crumb for ideas...the score for Black Angels might be worth a look. If you don't know this book, then it's worth checking out for ideas, it is full of modern techniques, virtually none of which have been sampled....

How about the common maj and min. chords in quadruple stops, strummed alla guitar ( a few rr's with up and down strokes). Never seen that before in samples and it would be very handy as it is a great resource. Perhaps a bar or two that we can time machine in crotchets, quavers and semis.
Likewise, maj and min6th double stops are used so much in vln writing, how about a comprehensive set with some port too. (no not the drink...;))...octaves too for that matter. Then there's some seriously fast bouncing bow arpeggios with multiple stops (with a time machine that only allows adjustment to speeds that are actually 'bounceable' to preserve realism).....
Trills larger than a semitone and tone played flautando, ord and pont. Double stop harmonics etc etc
Oh and at least 5 dynamic layers for everything....:2thumbs:...

Last edited:
Top Bottom