What's new

Bunker Strings Vol.1 - out tomorrow

thesteelydane

Bunker Samples
Edit: Bunker Strings has been released. Here's the new thread where I will answer all your questions.

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/bunker-strings-vol-1-out-now.79438/
And here's the walkthrough:

Library available here:

https://bunkersamples.com

Edit: The special preorder sale is now over, but you can still preorder for only 35 USD until release.

Hi all

So I've been working on a little string fx sample library, and it's now so close to completion that I feel comfortable taking pre-orders. Since it was cider monday yesterday (I'm still recovering, and sorry @Mike Greene for stealing that), I've decided to run a special deal for the rest of the week. If you preorder, you get the entire library for only 29 USD! There will be an intro discount as well, but it won't be this low.

This is NOT a normal string library, so do make sure to watch the walkthrough, to see what it's all about. For now only the bas patches are sort of ready to show to the world, but they are glorious.

And here's a walkthrough of the demo track:

Here's the (for now only - working on that...) demo track:

And here's my brand new website where you can pre-order:

https://www.bunkersamples.com (www.bunkersamples.com)

Instruments:
  • Violin (9)
  • Viola (9)
  • Cello (9)
  • Bass (9)
  • Full ensemble patches
  • Sound design patches
Articulations:
  • Soft pizz trem
  • Loud pizz trem
  • Drum stick col legno trem
  • Ricochet trem (except for bass, coming in an update)
  • Drum stick col legno shorts (3 dynamic layers, 4 round robbins)

Samples mixed down from over 19 hours of recordings, finished size estimated at roughly between 10 and 15 GB.

It's all early days, and I've put this content together very quickly to be able to offer a special black-friday-late-to-the-party deal to my VIC friends, so excuse the rambling and things missing. It will all come together very soon. I'm super excited about this library, and to the best of my knowledge there's nothing quite like it out there. It's what happens when a string player falls in love with sampling, sprinkled with a touch of mad scientist....hope you'll like it!

Last edited:
I like how it looks easy to control ensemble size and dynamics. It's also kind of fun to intentionally disregard realism in favor of sound. Sorry if I missed it, but is there going to be just the one mic position?

@thesteelydane Would be nice if you could extend the intro/ pre-order pricing until you release a more detailed walkthrough (With other sections) and release pertinent details like:
1. Number of instruments
2. Sample pool size
3. Number of Dyn layers - I understand this is 3 for the Bass
4. Number of Round Robins - I understand this is 4 for the Bass
5. Articulation list
6. Mic selections available
7. Recording environment
8. 3, 6, 9 players etc. - are these stacked samples or actual recording with varying number of players?

etc. etc.

For that matter, why is a pre-order required? Why not just release the library with intro pricing?

OK, I pre-ordered, it sounds great to me. I have received an email says that I will receive the product by December 27, but there's no money charge on my credit cards or PayPal account, so I guess that still means I am all set?

Last edited:
@thesteelydane Would be nice if you could extend the intro/ pre-order pricing until you release a more detailed walkthrough (With other sections) and release pertinent details like:
1. Number of instruments
2. Sample pool size
3. Number of Dyn layers - I understand this is 3 for the Bass
4. Number of Round Robins - I understand this is 4 for the Bass
5. Articulation list
6. Mic selections available
7. Recording environment
8. 3, 6, 9 players etc. - are these stacked samples or actual recording with varying number of players?

etc. etc.

For that matter, why is a pre-order required? Why not just release the library with intro pricing?

1) 9 for every articulation, across bass, cello, viola and violin.
2) Don’t know yet, until everything is mixed down. Recorded material was over 19 hours, but this will be stacked. That’s the concept of the library.
3) There are no dynamic layers, except for the shorts, which have 3 and 4 round robbins across the entire library. Dynamics is created by fading in more players/layers. This is not intended to be a realistic library, this is intended to leverage what’s best about sampling by creating an instrument that sounds like something real, but can only exist in the virtual domain.
4) p pizz trem, f pizz trem, stick trem, ricochet trem (except for the bass, which will be recorded next summer), drumstick col legno shorts.
5) None
6) A well treated bunker
7) Stacked, but using as many different instruments as I could get my hands on. Again thats the entire concept, as it allows me to apply individual fx to each player down the road. Each layer is mixed down to 3 players to avoid getting a crazy amount of streaming voices.

Pre-order because I wanted to offer something for cyber week, but wasn’t ready to release (recording everything 9 times has turned out to be, well....9 times the work, and I’m just one person). I also wanted to get a feel for the interest. There will be an intro pricing.

Last edited:
OK, I pre-ordered, it sounds great to me. I have received an email says that I will receive the product by December 27, but there's no money charge on my credit cards or PayPal account, so I guess that still means I am all set?

Thanks for ordering! Yes, Gumroad doesn’t charge you anything until I release the product, so I don’t see a penny until I release.

I like how it looks easy to control ensemble size and dynamics. It's also kind of fun to intentionally disregard realism in favor of sound. Sorry if I missed it, but is there going to be just the one mic position?

Yes, only one. But then again, it’s not an expensive library ;)

Thank you for filling holes in my string articulations. Please keep up the good work, I hope there will be more following series to fill more holes. :geek:

Thank you for filling holes in my string articulations. Please keep up the good work, I hope there will be more following series to fill more holes. :geek:
I will be back in the bunker next summer to record not only the missing bass articulation, but also volume 2. Maybe even sooner if I can get a similar sounding studio set up here in Hanoi.

Could you clarify when the pre-order ends? By midnight CET on November 30, do you mean in about 8 hours, or in about 32 hours?

The concept sounds great, by the way! Love seeing people look for new ways to use sampling.

Could you clarify when the pre-order ends? By midnight CET on November 30, do you mean in about 8 hours, or in about 32 hours?

The concept sounds great, by the way! Love seeing people look for new ways to use sampling.

Actually I think I’ll let it run through the weekend to give more people a chance to get in on the deal! I'll bump the pre-order price up a little Monday morning (which since I'm in Hanoi now, will be after midnight on Sunday in Europe).

Last edited:
Curious about this -- how did you acquire a bunker for recording?

In Copenhagen the city has opened up old WWII bomb shelters for people to rent. A friend of mine did that and converted it into a proper studio - I rented it from him. It was a great place to work, no one disturbs you down there. On the other hand there was no daylight, toilet facilities, or running water, so you had to plan your work around leaving the house AFTER you had taken care of that business at home, and bring in water for the coffee machine. And it was cold in the winter, but nevertheless I miss it, and look forward to being back next summer to record Vol. 2 (I live in Hanoi now).

That's amazing and wonderful. Thank you!

In Copenhagen the city has opened up old WWII bomb shelters for people to rent. A friend of mine did that and converted it into a proper studio - I rented it from him. It was a great place to work, no one disturbs you down there. On the other hand there was no daylight, toilet facilities, or running water, so you had to plan your work around leaving the house AFTER you had taken care of that business at home, and bring in water for the coffee machine. And it was cold in the winter, but nevertheless I miss it, and look forward to being back next summer to record Vol. 2 (I live in Hanoi now).

I have created a less rambling walkthrough that much better explains the philosophy behind the library. You can now also watch the demo walkthrough in it's own little short video. Videos in the original announcement post above.

Top Bottom