What's new

Building my Sound Design Library from the ground up...Advice?

Manfred

guitarist, actor, composer, & sound designer
Hello! I’m building my sound design library from the ground up and welcome any advice and recommendations per purchasing best libraries and related items to create a professional workflow (ie. Soundweaver from Boom?). I’m loving the Boom products. I have a moderate-high budget and wannt the top of the line stuff (don’t we al!!!). I work in Cubase 10.5 Pro and have a music production specific computer.
I’m grateful for any help!
Manfred

Sound Miner Pro with Radium is an essential app for me, for accessing and using sound library and for metadata editing and embedding... Radium sampler is brilliant too - good article on its use by Dave Farmer:

No idea about integration with Cubase though, SoundMiner can spot to the timeline of ProTools which is invaluable working to picture

Sound Miner Pro with Radium is an essential app for me, for accessing and using sound library and for metadata editing and embedding... Radium sampler is brilliant too - good article on its use by Dave Farmer:

No idea about integration with Cubase though, SoundMiner can spot to the timeline of ProTools which is invaluable working to picture
Thank you so much for this recommendation. I’ve explored it today and will be purchasing. Also thanks for the Dave Farmer article link, very helpful. I appreciate your kindness!
Loved exploring your sound library website (excellent content and products); will be purchasing some for sure.
Thank you,
Manfred Melcher

Just have to be careful with Omnisphere and licensing when it comes to sound design use

i'd advice you to upgrade on case-by-case basis. When a gig comes, and you feel like you don't have the tools for it, that's a good time to purchase something. Otherwise, you're just buying for the sake of consuming, and soon you'll have a PC full of unused libraries and instruments...
What's more, it's always a terrific idea to take the tools you have to their limits. I could do (and have done) the source materials for a short film with iDensity app on an ipad, for example, because I know how to bend it to my will. But of course it really depends what kind of sound design you're talking about!

Just have to be careful with Omnisphere and licensing when it comes to sound design use

I’m surprised to read this...and thank you for the heads up. I can just imagine the headaches this could cost down the road of a finished project/gig. Cheers!

i'd advice you to upgrade on case-by-case basis. When a gig comes, and you feel like you don't have the tools for it, that's a good time to purchase something. Otherwise, you're just buying for the sake of consuming, and soon you'll have a PC full of unused libraries and instruments...
What's more, it's always a terrific idea to take the tools you have to their limits. I could do (and have done) the source materials for a short film with iDensity app on an ipad, for example, because I know how to bend it to my will. But of course it really depends what kind of sound design you're talking about!
Thank you! Yes, this had been my process with music libraries. I’m practical like that, and strongly believe that getting everything out of a library instead of the magical thinking that ”that new, shiny product” will make me sound better, etc. Great reminder to use what we got! With SFX, however, are there any companies/producer that stand out as ones to explore (as needed)? Thank you again, very helpful.

I've used asoundeffect.com for FX libraries quite a bit whenever I needed something specific. I'm hooked to Reformer Pro plugin and I almost always use it when I'm doing moving image and sometimes just for fun.

I've used asoundeffect.com for FX libraries quite a bit whenever I needed something specific. I'm hooked to Reformer Pro plugin and I almost always use it when I'm doing moving image and sometimes just for fun.
Thank you!

Reformer Pro looks amazing. Never new it existed, thanks.

Reformer Pro is amazing and for a first collection of sounds check out Soundly as well if you havent done so.

Reformer Pro is amazing and for a first collection of sounds check out Soundly as well if you havent done so.
Yes, Soundly is one of my go-to’s. Thanks!

If you're looking for sound design Kotakt libraries, it may be worth checking out Heavyocity. That's kinda their thing.

Hello! I’m building my sound design library from the ground up and welcome any advice and recommendations per purchasing best libraries and related items to create a professional workflow (ie. Soundweaver from Boom?). I’m loving the Boom products. I have a moderate-high budget and wannt the top of the line stuff (don’t we al!!!). I work in Cubase 10.5 Pro and have a music production specific computer.
I’m grateful for any help!
Manfred

What exactly type of "sound design library" are you refering to? Like something someone would buy from BOOM, Sound ideas etc?
OR is it a musical sound design like heaviocity stuff/sample logic stuff?
Or is it your own personal sounds and using them for game sounds?

Thats good advice, and the first thing I do with every project, from the script onwards is identify unique sounds that I do not have which either need to be recorded, or sourced from somewhere.

But also I would say most important of all is having your own field recording setup. Whether its a handheld recorder or recorder & mics, your own personal sound library is the most valuable asset you will ever own and the sooner you start recording and collecting sounds the better.

Top Bottom