Building a home rig (Suggestions?)

Discussion in 'PC/Mac Builders, Mods, Peripherals - New' started by merlinhimself, Apr 15, 2019.

1. merlinhimself

merlinhimself Active Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Hey Everyone,

I'm starting to plan out a home rig that I want to put together in 4-5 months. I just wanted to get some feedback and suggestions for how to build an efficient (not totally top of the line) setup that isnt ridiculous in price.

VEP Slave - already have a 6core 32GB PC (going to upgrade to 12core & 96/or 128GB RAM)

Sequencer - Thinking of a refurbished Mac Pro 12core upgraded with 64GB RAM (I really prefer the Mac OS to windows)

ProTools Machine - Basic Mac Mini just to sync & play back video

Audio Interface - Considering one of the UAD Apollo MKII

MIDI - iConnecivity Mio10

Faders - no idea, would love a kenton but cant find them, and the fadermasters are too expensive

Monitors - Still undecided

I also want to buy a good standard mic for recording various things, but dont want to drop a lot of money as most of what I record ends up textural or heavily effected.

Also, any suggestions on what you use to treat your room acoustically would be great!

I definitely want to invest in this but also dont want to go broke doing so! haha

Thanks for your suggestions!

2. Pictus

Pictus Member

Aug 14, 2018
  3. Are you sure you'll realistically use a slave to its full potential? If not, I would try that upgrade and see if you can use a single machine set-up. Are you having resource issues currently?

merlinhimself likes this.
  4. Damarus

Damarus Member

Nov 15, 2017
    This.

What do you need? Is it nice to have potentially 3 machines or can you not work without them? New hardware comes out almost every 6 months so there's no need to rush imo.

Scour the Gearslutz forum for acoustic advice. They go into great detail there. Also look at Sonarworks if you are in a room that is less favorable.

merlinhimself likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    merlinhimself

Aug 19, 2015
    I definitely could use the single machine setup as I do this now for the composer I work for, but at home I have a PC, and I could get by working on Windows but I find my work flow much faster on Mac os. I could probably keep the slave at 64GB.

The one machine setup is fine, at work I have a Mac mini and an imac as my slaves totalling about 40 extra GB RAM, but I really dislike running cubase and pro tools on the same machine (12core Mac tower). It wouldn't be the end of the world to keep doing it that way instead of getting a Mac mini running PT, save some money and put it elsewhere.

6. OP
    OP
    merlinhimself

Aug 19, 2015
    Does anyone have any thoughts on using AMD processors for slaves vs intel?

7. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Senior Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Intel is better but still to pricey. AMD needs to up their game.