What's new

Bug in Olafur Arnalds Chamber Evolutions

So there's valid and constructive criticism of spitfire or any other sample company to be made in good faith. And there criticism which can at best seem puzzling and unconstructive, and at worst seem to not be made in good faith. And we could (if life weren't as short as it actually is) debate the nuances of the difference between these two type of criticisms.

But in the general service of understanding how we might all collectively work to avoid the kinds of toxic death spiral dynamics we've see here in the last year, may I suggest that the surest way to nudge the discussion into a tribal matter of personal honour instead of actually substantive discussion of sample libraries is to ascribed overly simple (and kind of insulting) motivations like 'just jealous' to people who we disagree with?

Just a very general thought.

Can we just be kind to each other, people? Nobody knows what anyone else is going through, and why they react the way they do. I reacted to the original wording of the post, because now that I'm a developer myself, albeit a very small one, I felt sympathy for Spitfire. The fact they are a huge operation with many employees doesn't change my feelings in that regard. When I released my first, and so far only product, a bug slipped through the net, and within a few hours I got the first email. I fixed it as quickly as I could, staying up til 4 in the morning to push the update out, all the while panicking at the thought of someone going on here and posting an angry "Beware, Nicolaj released a buggy product" post. The impact on my sales, and thus my livelihood could have been substantial, but luckily my customers where very understanding and kind, and I've had no bug reports since. Not looking for sympathy, I chose to enter this business and having been on VIC for years, I knew what to expect. I only say this to hopefully illustrate why the wording of the original post rubbed me the wrong way.

With that out of the way, it is also now abundantly clear that the OP had no malicious intend at all, and even removed the offending word, so all is well as far as I'm concerned.

Let's just put this to rest, and get back to writing music and being kind to each other, yes?

*Lurk mode off*
Wow... This is a surprising thread.
Thanks for the heads up on the bug.
I really don't feel the accusations / criticism you've received were warranted.
*Lurk mode on.*

A more than two-year-old thread. . . I did a search for "Spitfire Evo" because I am investigating a potential purchase (one of three semi-similar libraries under consideration); therefore, here is a perfectly innocuous question (no malice aforethought): Was the library updated/bug fixed?

The problem arose for me as soon as i tried to bring the basses out of the background. I agree that it would hardly be noticeable in a dense mix, but for the cues that I was working on I wanted the waves to have a central (and close-up) presence and realize that it wasn’t going to be possible with the distortion.

Spitfire has been responsibe and have promised a fix.

/d
It's curious that since they have had several updates to this library and more recently, that it did not get addressed then.

almost all of the close-mic samples for the Basses Waves are badly distorted
Dear VI-C community (and OP)

I found this thread through search (interested in the library), and I was wondering if the described distortion in the basses has been fixed in the meantime?

Does anybody own OACE and has a version history of updates (if any)? I haven't found any info on updates on the official website.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and all the best

No - over 3 years later it's still there. :thumbsdown:

I just recorded this with the current version of OACE (1.0b17)
Hi @Virtuoso

Thanks for taking the time to record an example of the distortion in "Basses Waves".

Could you describe in more detail how to reproduce it?

The patch ("Basses Waves") and mic ("Close") seems clear (from the OP's original post), but in which of the "articulations"? Which MIDI note, potentially even velocity/expression/dynamics setting?

According to Spitfire support, OACE is at version 1.1, do you have that same version? (you indicated 1.0b17).

That might help to reproduce and ultimately address it!

Thanks and all the best

Could you describe in more detail how to reproduce it?

The patch ("Basses Waves") and mic ("Close") seems clear (from the OP's original post), but in which of the "articulations"? Which MIDI note, potentially even velocity/expression/dynamics setting?
I just read the first post in the thread, fired up the 'Basses Waves' patch, left everything at default, turned off the Tree mic and turned on the Close mic. The distortion is on most notes, but you could start with a low A. The crackling happens after the 'wave' peaks.

The current version number shown in the Spitfire App is 1.0b17...

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 12.10.51 PM.png

...but in the Documentation folder, there is a file called 'What's new in 1.1 (August 2019).txt' which says...

v1.1 (August 2019)

Fixed the following bugs:

PB-501 - Background room noises in Chamber Waves Normale (Shortest)
PB-456 - Basses Grid top E doesn't trigger sample
PB-384 - Release issue with all but 1st evolutions of Chamber and Basses Grids

Hi @Virtuoso

Thanks again for clarifying and making the effort to provide all these details.

I do hope this will eventually help Spitfire address the issue, in case OACE is still being updated/fixed. Who knows! Fingers crossed ;)

All the best

Top Bottom