What's new

Bug in Olafur Arnalds Chamber Evolutions

Wow, if we should start to 'inform the community' about every bug we find we might need a special place for bugs on this forum. It's not something uncommon or special to find a bug in a library.
Hi Mason, are you a user of the OACE library? If yes, then this information will be pertinent to you. It’s a significant bug. If not, skip the thread... I feel like there’s something I’m not understanding with all the pushback on this. From where I stand it’s a simple post with a simple (and relevant) purpose.

I sort of disagree. I don't have every library, but I sure have my share...

Aren't there actually surprisingly few bugs is some of these unbelievably complex and large collections of samples...?

It makes the complainers look to me as though they are trying to call undue attention to themselves. As though they are more perceptive than the rest of us to discover one problem (which the company is aware of and working to fix).

Congrats to the discoverers of the bug... We'll all remember your incredible work!

Hi Mason, are you a user of the OACE library? If yes, then this information will be pertinent to you. It’s a significant bug. If not, skip the thread... I feel like there’s something I’m not understanding with all the pushback on this. From where I stand it’s a simple post with a simple (and relevant) purpose.

I am indeed, but I guess I haven't used the patch called b - -Basses - Waves Ord Longest.nki. And I don't think potential buyers won't buy it because of a (reported) bug about the b - -Basses - Waves Ord Longest.nki.

I am indeed, but I guess I haven't used the patch called b - -Basses - Waves Ord Longest.nki. And I don't think potential buyers won't buy it because of a (reported) bug about the b - -Basses - Waves Ord Longest.nki.
Hi Mason, the bug is in the main basses waves patch, on the close mics. This is a patch I use quite frequently, but had not used the close mics on until last week. Again, it caused me a bunch of headache figuring out where the strange glitching sounds in my mix were coming from (I actually went through a whole CPU diagnostic test assuming it was my machine). I reported the bug to the developers, and I offer my experience to other users of the library so they might avoid going through the same headache. As @jtnyc has written above, community discussion of such bugs can be valuable on lots of levels.

It makes the complainers look to me as though they are trying to call undue attention to themselves. As though they are more perceptive than the rest of us to discover one problem (which the company is aware of and working to fix).

Hi Studiostuff, I assume the 'complainer' you are referring to here is me? My original post was not a complaint or a bid for attention. It was a relating of an experience so that others could learn from it and avoid the situation that I fell into. I, like many on this forum, work professionally in this field, using these tools on a daily basis to do our work. In doing that work, time is sensitive, quality is sensitive, and a tip from someone working with the same tools as you are about how to avoid sacrificing both of them will potentially be valuable.

Congrats to the discoverers of the bug... We'll all remember your incredible work!

This part went pretty Twilight Zone for me. But I'm new to the forum.

Wow, if we should start to 'inform the community' about every bug we find we might need a special place for bugs on this forum. It's not something uncommon or special to find a bug in a library.

Isn't informing each other part of the purpose of this forum? He didn't post it because he thought it was uncommon or special. He posted it so people can take note of the issue. How that can be met with any kind of "wow" or any other criticism is beyond me. I just don't get it. There are 100's of other things discussed on this forum that I find way less interesting or helpful... I just skip over those threads.

I sort of disagree. I don't have every library, but I sure have my share...

Aren't there actually surprisingly few bugs is some of these unbelievably complex and large collections of samples...?

Really now? So you just assume you know the motives of the OP? Now that's incredible work!!! Are you a psychic? What a totally insulting and belittling remark.

It's amazing what people will willfully assume about others with little to no real knowledge of that persons motives just so they can make the point that they want to make.

Calm down people. Yes, it was probably the word “beware” that I found a tad extreme for the situation it described. The OP clearly had good intentions so I apologize for my part in turning this thread into a drama. I also apologize for the apparent “nerve” I had yesterday. I had 3 large cups of coffee, and I normally only have 1, at the most 2, so I was on fire. I think that explains it.

The issue here is that the OP does two things:

1. reports a legitimate bug

2. Expresses in its tone a frustration with a touch (it seems to me) of anger.

(And we all know the frustration and anger that comes with bugs in expensive sample libraries, so its of course perfectly legitimate to feel and to express this, and I'm sure we can all empathize. )

The problem is when you mix these two things, in just the right proportions, in just the right corner of the internet, you risk the internet fermenting them into the seed of a molotov cocktail of internet toxic death spiral. Or so recent experience on vi-c suggests. Which, I'd suggest, is why some people (including myself) are sensitive to posts with this kind of tone. (Even if such sensitivities are probably not really warranted on this particular thread).

Anyway - most intrigued by the idea of using the bass waves up close in the mix. Its not something I've ever though of myself.

I hope you'll share the complete track when its done?

Dubline, If you say your OP was simply a Public Service Announcement, I have to take you at your word.

But as a professional, I'm sure you'd agree that how your work and your words are taken by others are much more important than what you think you created or what you wanted me to hear.

I'm just reporting that your OP sounded like whining to me. Not useful, not professional...

It's a warm, cloudy and overcast spring morning here in the mountains. Many of us are going through the strange emotional withdrawal that comes from wanting winter to continue so we can continue to ski all spring.

So perhaps I was a little critical in my response to your OP. I'll write back in a more reasonable mood when we get more snow.

Until then, have a great morning...! :)

BEWARE! there's a bug in a patch in a library! If you already own the library well...too late there's nothing you can do about it now. But if you DON'T own it...well, Spitfire are fixing it so don't worry about it.

but BEWARE!

BEWARE! there's a bug in a patch in a library! If you already own the library well...too late there's nothing you can do about it now. But if you DON'T own it...well, Spitfire are fixing it so don't worry about it.

but BEWARE!
With respect, @prodigalson, there is very much something that current owners CAN do, and that is to avoid the patches that contain the bug, so as to avoid the trouble I went through in writing a piece and diagnosing the source of the problem in my arrangement. That "beware" seems to have really irked a lot of people, and though I don't fully understand why it was such a trigger, I removed it from the post title.

Dubline, If you say your OP was simply a Public Service Announcement, I have to take you at your word.

But as a professional, I'm sure you'd agree that how your work and your words are taken by others are much more important than what you think you created or what you wanted me to hear.

I'm just reporting that your OP sounded like whining to me. Not useful, not professional...

It's a warm, cloudy and overcast spring morning here in the mountains. Many of us are going through the strange emotional withdrawal that comes from wanting winter to continue so we can continue to ski all spring.

So perhaps I was a little critical in my response to your OP. I'll write back in a more reasonable mood when we get more snow.

Until then, have a great morning...! :)
Thanks for the clarification, and yes, admittedly there was some frustration in my original post as a result of have spent several frustrating hours diagnosing and dealing with and documenting a problem in the library. Spring can be a real meteorological and emotional minefield. Around here we are impatient for the end of what's been a very long winter, and it was -7º again this morning. Wishing you a good morning, and another late snowfall.

The issue here is that the OP does two things:

1. reports a legitimate bug

2. Expresses in its tone a frustration with a touch (it seems to me) of anger.

(And we all know the frustration and anger that comes with bugs in expensive sample libraries, so its of course perfectly legitimate to feel and to express this, and I'm sure we can all empathize. )

The problem is when you mix these two things, in just the right proportions, in just the right corner of the internet, you risk the internet fermenting them into the seed of a molotov cocktail of internet toxic death spiral. Or so recent experience on vi-c suggests. Which, I'd suggest, is why some people (including myself) are sensitive to posts with this kind of tone. (Even if such sensitivities are probably not really warranted on this particular thread).

Anyway - most intrigued by the idea of using the bass waves up close in the mix. Its not something I've ever though of myself.

I hope you'll share the complete track when its done?
Thank you for the perspective. Much appreciated. Will certainly share the track when done.

Reactions: ism
With respect, @prodigalson, there is very much something that current owners CAN do, and that is to avoid the patches that contain the bug, so as to avoid the trouble I went through in writing a piece and diagnosing the source of the problem in my arrangement. That "beware" seems to have really irked a lot of people, and though I don't fully understand why it was such a trigger, I removed it from the post title.

I think one of the reasons is that there’s been quite a few people jealous of Spitfire and who want to criticize them for everything or even are looking to find something to criticize them for. If you had just written that you have discovered a bug but assured us that they are working on it, no one would react to it. But instead it made it look like a really bad library made by amateurs.

I’ve found bugs in so many libraries and I have submitted it to the developer, and never thought it would be of any interest to anyone else.

Top Bottom