Budget Woodwinds Shootout!

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by jimjazzuk, May 19, 2019.

1. jimjazzuk

jimjazzuk Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I can't wait any longer for Cinematic Studio Woodwinds so I'm going to bite the bullet and buy some 'temporary' woodwinds this week! I know this has kind of been covered with various other threads, but always good to hear any more opinions on these....

Having gone around in circles in my search, it's come down to:

- Spitfire Studio Woodwinds

- VSL woodwinds vol 1 SE

- Cinesamples Woodwinds

As I have educational discount they all come in at around the same price (£100 + a bit)

Which would you go for for a classic John Williams sound?

Thanks,

J

2. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

Probably spitfire studio woodwinds.

3. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    This...the Core woodwind library is actually not bad at all, the only thing that can really suck is the missing instruments. But then you have the fun of hunting them up individually ;)

4. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Don't you have a full version of Kontakt for the Woodwinds from their factory library? That's probably pretty cheap as a crossgrade in the next sale if you have any qualifying products to crossgrade from.

Robo Rivard likes this.
  5. Hanu_H

Hanu_H Senior Member

Nov 7, 2011
    For John Williams sound, I would go with VSL definitely. If you want to write parts like that, you are gonna need fast legato and clean sound. I would also buy the expansion for it, so you get the trills, etc as well. Cinesamples are my second choice, because it's recorded in the same place where Williams has recorded some of his scores. But I don't know how it will keep up with the fast lines, someone who owns it can maybe chime in? Spitfire Studio Woodwinds would be my last choice, because I have heard that it's not good with fast short notes or emotional legato lines.

-Hannes

misterfincher23 likes this.
  6. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

Depends on which score you're referring to. The earlier days are recorded at Sony stage but his latest works for Star Wars aren't recorded there anymore right ? To get his latest works like recordings, spitfire symphonic series would be the best bet.

7. Scamper

Scamper Active Member

Dec 11, 2014
    I think the CineWinds legato is really good, especially since the last updates. It should handle fast passages very well and you can further control the speed and the transitions of the legato to fine tune the behavior.

Hanu_H likes this.
  8. Hanu_H

Hanu_H Senior Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I am pretty sure that anyone who talks about sounding like John Williams is not talking about his latest scores but the iconic scores he is famous for. But I could be wrong of course. Also thinking about the sound of the hall is not important in this kind of thing, because it doesn't work the same way with samples as with the real recordings. I am sensing that he is using Cinematic Studio Strings and Brass, and it would be hard to make Spitfire Symphonic series to play well with those. This kind of task is extremely difficult, probably the hardest one for woodwinds. This might be just me, but I would want maximum control over the space and with a big hall in the samples, it would be difficult to write lines like you hear in the JW scores.

constaneum likes this.
  9. re-peat

re-peat Senior Member

Dec 12, 2004
    For classic John Williams type stuff? Most certainly NOT the Spitfire Studio Woodwinds. Even if you like the library, the space these instruments live in, is just wrong for what you're after. (Search for a demo in which these winds pose successfully as orchestral woodwinds, and you won't find any.)

Of the three you listed, I would, without hesitation, opt for the Cinesamples set. Never thought I would ever suggest to someone to buy the Cinesamples woodwinds because there's lots of things I don't like about this library, but given the circumstances and what you're looking for, they are very much the wisest choice here. In my opinion.

There are good arguments for choosing the VSL winds, I suppose, but as most VSL libraries always give me the feeling that I'm working in the morgue rather than making music, I can't think of any.

_

10. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    I work at the morgue as my regular job and love the VSL woodwinds. You trying to insult me or what?

11. mikefrommontreal

mikefrommontreal Active Member

Jan 6, 2015
    As an owner of VSL SE and Spitfire Studio Woodwinds, I'd say go for VSL. I like spitfire studio woodwinds, but their longs and legatos are clumsy and uninspiring. VSL still holds up. Can't speak for Cinesamples but I'd definitely go VSL over Spitfire

devonmyles likes this.
  12. Robo Rivard

Robo Rivard Senior Member

May 11, 2016
    Québec
    I'm also waiting for the release of Cinematic Studio Woodwinds. In the meantime, I'm using Fluffy Audio Solo Woodwinds. I think they work well with the VSL woodwinds included in the Kontakt factory library.

RightOnTime likes this.
  13. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

Hollywood Winds.

Parsifal666 and constaneum like this.
  14. handz

handz Senior Member

Agree with all above

If someone like JWs sound - for brass Cinebrass is a way to go and for WW - Cinewinds are good option too.

VSL is dead sounding - but WW actually do not suffer from the dry samples as much as Strings and Brass...

marclawsonmusic likes this.
  15. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    It's crazy that they're still charging $200 for it though. And I understand that it evokes the spirit of Williams, but I'm not sure that having all unisons is really how Williams writes most of the time.

So...when will there be a shootout?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  16. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

Gold is on sale for $132. Unisons? It features 13 solo woodwinds.

Parsifal666 likes this.
  17. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Yes, I'd definitely scoop the HW now, especially the Diamond. It's a serious steal, and you can build ensembles yourself with that library all day money.

Wolfie2112 likes this.
  18. rocking.xmas.man

rocking.xmas.man Active Member

You guys are Mixing up hollywoodwinds from cinesamples and hollywood woodwinds from east west.

19. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    Gah! Sorry Wolfie2112, I was mistakenly thinking Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  20. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Do you mean EW Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds? Or Cinesamples' Hollywoodwinds?
    ---
    To be a contrarian regarding the last few recent posts about the East West library, I'm going to say do not buy Hollywood Orchestral Woodwinds. It's the weakest entry in East West's Hollywood series by far. It's not good. Don't do it.

If you want a John Williams-esque sound, there is no doubt in my mind that you'll like CineWinds. Problem is, you really have to get both Core and Pro in order to get all the instruments you'll likely need.

RightOnTime likes this.