What's new

Budget Woodwind Library

jimjazzuk

Hi guys,

I have CSS and will soon have CSB and True Strike Percussion. I'm looking for a (stop gap) woodwind library to tide me over while I await Cinematic Studio Woodwinds. What would you suggest that would go well with my existing libraries and provides good value for money?

Thanks
J

I released this woodwind library a few weeks ago, might be something suitable for your purposes - https://librewave.com/sofia-woodwinds/

This was released literally one day after purchasing a Kontakt-based solo WW library on holiday sale, otherwise this is what I would have bought. I'm still going to buy it when I get some more money because:

1) It's tailored to keyboard players with the velocity based on the key strikes. Every other MIDI CC is customizable.
2) The UI is elegantly simple. This seems exceptionally well-designed for ease of use.
3) No dongles, e-licensers, Native Access malware or any other intrusive crapola involved. I very like the whole "free software" concept behind this. It's not "free" in the sense that it doesn't cost money to purchase, but free in the sense of "freedom", freedom to use the software where and how you see fit.

You can read the philosophical description here:

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

Power to the people! and all of that... Hopefully this sort of thing is the wave of the future.

1) It's tailored to keyboard players with the velocity based on the key strikes. Every other MIDI CC is customizable.
Thanks for your support, much appreciated. Just one correction though, the dynamics are controlled via CC (mod-wheel by default). The keyboard velocity is just for controlling the attack. Although I'm working on an update to allow the user to choose to control dynamics by velocity if they prefer.

• Sofia Woodwinds,
  • Amadeus orchestra and their woodwind libraries,
  • The Kontakt Library VSL set if you happen to have full Kontakt. ( I was using this option until I got the Spitfire woodwinds with their Educational discount in september.)
  • Educational discounts. If you have this as an option you could search developers for their offers as they can be quite generous.

Thanks for your support, much appreciated. Just one correction though, the dynamics are controlled via CC (mod-wheel by default). The keyboard velocity is just for controlling the attack. Although I'm working on an update to allow the user to choose to control dynamics by velocity if they prefer.
Thanks for the clarification... It's been a while since I looked at the info, and the velocity/attack distinction has always had an element of confusion for me, since for so many acoustic instruments you can't increase the velocity without also increasing the attack and vice versa.

Not as polished or "tweakable" as some of the other suggestions here - but a nicer price if you have the full version of Kontakt :)
(broken link removed)

You might want to also check out EW Symphonic Orchestra as well! Has some great woodwinds, plus a ton of other content and is relatively affordable when on sale.

Fluffy Audio's Solo Woodwinds Complete might be over your budget at $299. But at $179 Chris Hein Orchestral Winds - Compact might be worth looking at. It differs from most of the other suggestions in this thread in that it samples multiple bassoons, oboes, clarinets and flutes instead of one of each. That might be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your needs. The existence of an upgrade path would be a plus in your situation.

Top Bottom