What's new

Bt phobos update 1.1.4

Listening to demos and walkthroughs now. Sounds really interesting!

Any chance of a demo/trial?

And they did mention the possibility of adding custom sounds? I'm using Zynaptiq to "mess up" cello, guitar and guitarviol tracks. The polyconvolution idea sounds really appealing for that kind of thing.

Congrats, Spitfire! Jumping into synthesis head first...

Any more info on when this will be available for Win7??

Can someone explain to me this new downloader thing? I am on Win 7. Just to be clear, you have to use this new downloader? If so, going forward do we have to use this new downloader on all the libraries? I thought the one we've been using worked just fine, insofar as downloaders go. Gotta say this sure is a buzzkill for Windows 7 users.

And yes I have heard about the .NET bug relating to this downloader not working. Oh another question, is this the same issue that the new iLok software has with Windows 7? There is a crazy update that can be applied to fix the iLok problem. It is being discussed on VI-Control at the moment for those concerned.

Phobos not working on Win7 with VEP. Can't even load the plugin without it bringing my machine to its knees. Anyone else seeing the (rather fast) memory leak?

Hoping one day I get to see the UI in person. Looks really cool on the website.

Last edited:
Anyone else seeing the (rather fast) memory leak?

Yup. Discovered it a short while ago when playing with a patch I was creating. I haven't worked out under what circumstances it's happening - some of the presets I tried seemed to have no effect on memory usage i.e. it went up and then down again, but the patch I've been creating eats up memory incredibly quickly and doesn't release it until the VST is unloaded (or the DAW is closed). Playing some complex chords resulted in it chomping its way through 32GB of memory in a matter of minutes. Using Resource Monitor in Win 10 I could watch the memory go up each time I played a chord. I'm trying different sources to see which are worse offenders. Will report back and raise ticket with Spitfire when I have a clearer picture of what's going on.

Yup. Discovered it a short while ago when playing with a patch I was creating. I haven't worked out under what circumstances it's happening - some of the presets I tried seemed to have no effect on memory usage i.e. it went up and then down again, but the patch I've been creating eats up memory incredibly quickly and doesn't release it until the VST is unloaded (or the DAW is closed). Playing some complex chords resulted in it chomping its way through 32GB of memory in a matter of minutes. Using Resource Monitor in Win 10 I could watch the memory go up each time I played a chord. I'm trying different sources to see which are worse offenders. Will report back and raise ticket with Spitfire when I have a clearer picture of what's going on.
At least you're getting it even open at least! My hopes for this are starting to wilt...

All working great here on windows 7 with Cubase. Currently working on a Cue, have 7 instances of Phobos running and it all seems stable!!
Many thanks Spitfire!:2thumbs:

Hi guys, as stated in our mailout, and because of the teething issues we had, we've extended the promo to next Thursday:

Check back here for even more educational materials before then including a demonstration using plasticine from your's truly.

CH​

This is really great Christian, great job on this video !

Also the full interview with BT pretty much explains the what and why about my question regarding other time signatures. The need for "everything to line up isorythmically" is kind of important given what this plugin does.

Hi there,

I would say comparing the two libraries is like comparing cheese and cake. Both delicious but very different foodstuffs. eDNA is a sample library that uses an epic amount of morphed orchestral material to form a super sampler / synth with a front end that is designed to morph sounds further through traditional modular synth techniques.

BT Phobos is a very different beast, from its content to use. Made up of 15 years worth of BT's private sonic design and sound hacking it is 20GB of the finest loops, pads, leads, analogue gear and atmos. These are then combined in the world's first poly-convolution engine so that any of these sounds can be used as IRs and placed inside another. This makes for very unique sonic sculpting possibilities which are investigated in a huge number of presets designed by BT himself, Richard Devine and the Spitfire team.

I would say the headline difference is eDNA is an epic hybrid orchestra library, BT Phobos an epic sized library of sounds suitable for hybrid compositions. The loops component cannot be understated for Phobos, it is a huge part and will save you many hours of finely crafting rhythms. eDNA has no loops and is much more concerned with very big sounding hyper synth orchestral.

Hope this helps.

CH

CH __ as others have stated interest in external samples capability in BT Phobos __ AND ___ having noted two points you made (cheese and cake / loops cannot be underestimated for Phobos) ..... does it come across as 'ignorant' to ask about future capability to import eDNA01 library content to BT Phobos ??

BTW __ eDNA01 Earth + Kinematik were added recently, thus this inquiry.

(edit) .... waaaay 'ignorant' Q ?? :cautious:

Last edited:
Hello, one question about the licensing of Phobos:

I read in the manual that with the purchase you receive 2 licenses, so you can authorize it on two machines.
If I want to dismiss a machine, can I de-authorize Phobos from it and autorize on a new one? In other words I want to "move" the license from one machine to another one. From the FAQ chapter of the manual it seems apparently not possible, but ... I ask.

Thanks!

Thank you so much, Spitfire Audio, for this extraordinary work. Prior to even convolving with the impulse responses, these are brilliantly interesting and elegant sounds. Then they become so much more...and sounds have come out that I didn't think were possible, and it's clear that I'm still only scratching the surface.

Hello, one question about the licensing of Phobos:

I read in the manual that with the purchase you receive 2 licenses, so you can authorize it on two machines.
If I want to dismiss a machine, can I de-authorize Phobos from it and autorize on a new one? In other words I want to "move" the license from one machine to another one. From the FAQ chapter of the manual it seems apparently not possible, but ... I ask.

Thanks!

Hi there, Ben from Spitfire here. To de-authorise a machine, you need to delete the patches, presets and samples folders - the actual plug-in you can leave since it's useless without the content. You can then launch the library manager on another machine, reset the download (from the Library menu) and download to the new machine. It is NOT possible to move the content to the new machine, it does need to be downloaded again (unless you purchased the hard drive service from us)

Hi there, Ben from Spitfire here. To de-authorise a machine, you need to delete the patches, presets and samples folders - the actual plug-in you can leave since it's useless without the content. You can then launch the library manager on another machine, reset the download (from the Library menu) and download to the new machine. It is NOT possible to move the content to the new machine, it does need to be downloaded again (unless you purchased the hard drive service from us)

Thank you!
So, that said, in case of a broken machine, I can de-authorize it and authorize a new one since the license is not locked to an HW.
It is clear that I can only have a maximun of 2 authorized machines.

Thank you!
So, that said, in case of a broken machine, I can de-authorize it and authorize a new one since the license is not locked to an HW.
It is clear that I can only have a maximun of 2 authorized machines.
Not on win7 - you can only do one download with the downloader regardless of machine looks like. I still haven't gotten Phobos to even start and can't get it to another machine. All dead in the water.

Not on win7 - you can only do one download with the downloader regardless of machine looks like. I still haven't gotten Phobos to even start and can't get it to another machine. All dead in the water.

OK, I think that it is buggy at the moment. Apart from this issue, it is important to know that I will not lose a license when I will change a machine (for example to upgrade to a more powerful HW).
I don't want to speak about other developers in this thread, but I will use the following only as an example:
with Arturia I have a total of 5 concurrent licenses and I can deauthorize a machine and authorize a new one. It is like "moving" one of my licenses from a machine to a new one.

Folks, just a gentle reminder:

It's all over tomorrow!

CH
While I'm very excited by this creation, I'm going to wait till the "teething" issues, dinky GUI, and browser/saving deficiencies are corrected. All too often these days I find developers jumping to the next project /revenue stream, even some of my favorite companies, neglecting the carefully articulated concerns voiced by users

Not a criticism of this brilliant work per se. I do love it's innovative approach and the sample set is exciting to contemplate. However, I find if I can't see it, I don't use it! All aging eyes know this to be true.

Look foreward to V2... I have Phobos in my heart

Hi Vastman,

I just want to chime in as I feel that your post is a bit buzzkilly and want to just say that if you have your screen at a minute resolution then the GUI is small. But it is a similar size to the Kontakt GUI (which also, to my knowledge, doesn't re-size) window so is not dinky. I have poor eyesight but can demonstrably show that I can see it as I've used the plugin extensively and have created a large number of presets and demos posted here and on our site. There are no 'teething issues' for a hugely successful V1.0 release, I am one of many thousands of users who are slamming this plug without ANY crashes and with healthy CPU use etc etc. It is a HUGE success from a coding POV, so many congrats to Martin and the team. The 'teething' issues you mention are feature requests which we have already mentioned we're looking at. Where us 'moving on' are concerned I don't know of any company who abandons 4 years of R&D to go and play with a new train set, indeed I have seen working betas of Phobos with forward/back browsing buttons and an elegant re-sizing mechanism. These are issues that are being demanded by a lot of people who don't own Phobos, but not many who do! HOWEVER please let us remember that we offer launch promo prices that reward early adoption and feedback of v1.0 content and in this case, v1.0 software. For those who want all customer feedback and requests actioned, you'll have to pay full price which is absolutely fine, but yesterday's post was a polite reminder that if you want to jump onboard the very unbuggy and teething issue free new form of synthesis now's the time!

Best.

CH

Top Bottom