What's new

Bt phobos update 1.1.4

He already said no loading samples earlier in the thread ("for now"). I would assume IR's are the same. Truth is very few synths allow this besides Omni 2 (which also doesn't load IRs), falcon and Kontakt (which aren't synths but sampling engines)

Thanks - missed that.

And I would say most synths that use audio allow custom samples - the same way most convolution processors allow custom IR.

Well i just spent the last 3 hours working on this... Managed to break-in to the login form and figured out the user name... now i just need the passcode...
Well, I've spent hours on this now, feel like I'm getting somewhere, but feel like I'm getting nowhere. All those years of living next to Bletchley Park clearly haven't rubbed off on the grey noodle. Got a week off coming here but something tells me I might not be spending it with the kids (unless I bribe them to help crack this).

On a vaguely serious note though, I would be grateful if no one offers any spoilers here (just in case I do mysteriously sprout a smart gene over the coming days). Anyone happen to know how long this mystery will remain accessible for?

Again, it's not coming up on the Uk Amazon site. Looks like that album is only available in the US.

Edit: Correction, you can get it second hand for about £80. I do like it, but not that much.

Apologies Puzzle, didn't realize you were in UK. With the baseball cap you look so American, I just assumed. You look like every composer, picture and sound editor out here in Los Angeles. ;) Sorry for the sterotyping.

Thanks - missed that.

And I would say most synths that use audio allow custom samples - the same way most convolution processors allow custom IR.

Don't want to go OT, but a separate thread of those synths would be great to have, I really don't know of many synths besides Omni 2 that allow sample import. These older threads list some I've never heard of:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=358153
So perhaps I'm out of the loop. ;)
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392232

Good to hear this plug from Spitfire has a decent amount of presets, would be great to get a review or walkthrough that dives deeper into the presets and what diversity is there.

And yes, would be a big improvement to allow sample import (as it was with O2). Thanks for all your hard work Spitfire!

Hi all, thanks for the lively debate.

I'll clarify a few things, whilst there are four source sounds and three convolvers you browse from the same pool of sounds. So loops can be loaded in as convolutions as can tones and atmos's. Then vice a versa, atmos's can be loaded as source sounds as well as loops. Coupled with a realtime ability to convolve the source sound differently between the different convolvers makes for a unique set of possibilities that have particular appeal to film,tv,games composers as you can energise your cues with molecular loops that don't feel loopy and can shift transform and bend in a near infinite number of ways, not just with an HPF (although the engine has those too). BT said that Richard Devine said he was making sounds he's never heard before which is a massive compliment to BT's innovation.

However the key feature that is easy to brush over is the simply biblical amount of content made by BT. It is wise to remember that these aren't multi-mic'd-multi-sampled-round-robiny sounds, these are single hits, 8 bar loops, really really lite on memory, so when you factor that out to 20GB you're talking an ark worth's of amazing original BT material. The equivalent of over 70 beats from the nu skool by our back of the cigarette packet calculations.

One thing we found is that is an absolute rabbit hole of a piece of kit, so many possibilities. So something BT and I insisted upon as media composers ourselves (albeit in different leagues!) was that it was quick to use and versatile out of the box for people who don't have time initially to tweak. So that is why it ships with over 700 presets made by BT, Richard Devine, Paul Thomson, myself and the Spitfire team.

Finally, yes this our own dedicated plugin. It has taken 4 years to develop and uses our own ground up convolution engines and streaming technology. It automatically optimises for your system and it looks..... the bomb!

Best.

CH

This has just sold it to me. I can't wait till I get paid next.
Are you eventually going to go down the road of having your libraries in your own player instead of using Kontakt (sorry to digress slightly).

Phobos sounds and looks insane. A must buy for me!

I do hope this doesn't mean that their sample libraries will soon be moving away from Kontakt in to some kind of custom 'play' engine!

Same... Unless
Finally, yes this our own dedicated plugin. It has taken 4 years to develop and uses our own ground up convolution engines and streaming technology. It automatically optimises for your system and it looks..... the bomb!

Best.

CH

That sounds really cool! Curious to know how it optimizes itself. Does it adjust the sample buffer? Choose more efficient filters? That sort of thing?

The randomize functions can be quite useful to get you started as well.

I found using Logic gain plug-in you can add some more db volume when needed on softer quieter sounds.

For a $300 virtual instrument I would suggest you come up with a limited demo version of some kind if possible it will help the fence-sitters give it a try and see if it's for them.

It is going to be a useful sound design tool in my arsenal going forward and may make me even forget my old Kyma system.

Hi all, thanks for the lively debate.

I'll clarify a few things, whilst there are four source sounds and three convolvers you browse from the same pool of sounds. So loops can be loaded in as convolutions as can tones and atmos's. Then vice a versa, atmos's can be loaded as source sounds as well as loops. Coupled with a realtime ability to convolve the source sound differently between the different convolvers makes for a unique set of possibilities that have particular appeal to film,tv,games composers as you can energise your cues with molecular loops that don't feel loopy and can shift transform and bend in a near infinite number of ways, not just with an HPF (although the engine has those too). BT said that Richard Devine said he was making sounds he's never heard before which is a massive compliment to BT's innovation.

However the key feature that is easy to brush over is the simply biblical amount of content made by BT. It is wise to remember that these aren't multi-mic'd-multi-sampled-round-robiny sounds, these are single hits, 8 bar loops, really really lite on memory, so when you factor that out to 20GB you're talking an ark worth's of amazing original BT material. The equivalent of over 70 beats from the nu skool by our back of the cigarette packet calculations.

One thing we found is that is an absolute rabbit hole of a piece of kit, so many possibilities. So something BT and I insisted upon as media composers ourselves (albeit in different leagues!) was that it was quick to use and versatile out of the box for people who don't have time initially to tweak. So that is why it ships with over 700 presets made by BT, Richard Devine, Paul Thomson, myself and the Spitfire team.

Best.

CH

Last edited:
Well, I've spent hours on this now, feel like I'm getting somewhere, but feel like I'm getting nowhere. All those years of living next to Bletchley Park clearly haven't rubbed off on the grey noodle. Got a week off coming here but something tells me I might not be spending it with the kids (unless I bribe them to help crack this).

On a vaguely serious note though, I would be grateful if no one offers any spoilers here (just in case I do mysteriously sprout a smart gene over the coming days). Anyone happen to know how long this mystery will remain accessible for?
just got to work this evening, gave it another shot, and the answer jumped out at me... Can't wait to see what the reward is. :dancer:

I have a laptop with an Intel M540 i5 processor that runs @ 2.53 GHz (about 3 GHz with turbo boost). I know that this is below the minimum specs (i5 @ 2.8 Ghz).

Does this mean that I couldn't run Phobos at all?

I would also love to see a time-limited demo. I've bought nearly every U-he synth after getting to use a working demo for a few days first. I really wish more devs would do this.

I would also love to see a time-limited demo. I've bought nearly every U-he synth after getting to use a working demo for a few days first. I really wish more devs would do this.
Agree... if you really believe it's the bomb, allow demos.

lots more specific walkthru's would be nice... difficult to asses, as others seem to be able to, given what I've heard. Very sad about apparent eDNA abandonment and would be careful on this one... but then, i've shot way beyond my means lately!

Yep, all his best tunes + orchestra....well strings anyway.
It just suffers from being mastered too loud, which ruins the experience a bit.

Well, I was part of the Kickstarter Campaign for "Electronic Opus" and while I really love it a lot, I have to say that the bits which BT posted in order to show how it "could" sound, were absolutely brilliant. It seems to me that some instruments have been brought down in the mastering which does not make it a bad record at all, but if the final sound were a little bit closer to the demos, that would have been the icing on the cake for me ;)

Agree... if you really believe it's the bomb, allow demos.

lots more specific walkthru's would be nice... difficult to asses, as others seem to be able to, given what I've heard. Very sad about apparent eDNA abandonment and would be careful on this one... but then, i've shot way beyond my means lately!

Hi there, we haven't abandoned eDNA. Our major release of last year thoroughly embraced her (Tundra) and there will be releases this year that use her interface also.

But this isn't what this thread is about.

There is absolutely TONS of material coming out prior to the end of this promo. Including the product itself!

Phobos is a v1.0 plugin available for Mac & PC on AU,VST and AAX, which requires a totally new downloader and authorisation system. For this reason and this alone, introducing time limited demos was a feature too far for us. But is not beyond our consideration in the future alongside all sorts of enhancements to the Spitfire experience (different forms of payment options etc etc), but these are impossible to implement in a v1.0 piece of software and downloader / installer. So we have to play on the strength of our brand along with BT's and trust we have with many customers alongside the aforementioned TONS of BTS materials, demos, features coming during this promo period, to convince you that this 4 year long enterprise is a worthwhile one.

Best.

CH

Hi there, we haven't abandoned eDNA. Our major release of last year thoroughly embraced her (Tundra) and there will be releases this year that use her interface also.

But this isn't what this thread is about.

There is absolutely TONS of material coming out prior to the end of this promo. Including the product itself!

Phobos is a v1.0 plugin available for Mac & PC on AU,VST and AAX, which requires a totally new downloader and authorisation system. For this reason and this alone, introducing time limited demos was a feature too far for us. But is not beyond our consideration in the future alongside all sorts of enhancements to the Spitfire experience (different forms of payment options etc etc), but these are impossible to implement in a v1.0 piece of software and downloader / installer. So we have to play on the strength of our brand along with BT's and trust we have with many customers alongside the aforementioned TONS of BTS materials, demos, features coming during this promo period, to convince you that this 4 year long enterprise is a worthwhile one.

Best.

CH
Have been considering Earth for a while but it doesn't sound quite what I need for evolving rhythmic soundscapes which is what I've been hunting for. Phobos however sounds like this may be just the thing (which I wasn't expecting) but the walk through was just way too short to tell. The pad like sounds (forgive me) sound similar to a lot of synths out there, but the rhythmic stuff sounds really unique. How many presets are organized in each group (Atonal, harmonic, melodic, rhythmic etc)?

Paul's walk through definitely shows the depth of customization available, but I'd love to know how much raw material there is to leverage in the first place.

Also - is the rhythmic stuff tempo synced to your DAW?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, Christian. I DO appreciate it. However, the current lack of specific info is frustrating. Hell, hire DJ and pay him 5k to live stream 3 hours with it... We'll learn more from that than a bunch of audio with too much going on to decern wtf IS going on.

Mind you, I'm just saying this because we DON'T HAVE ANY REAL info yet beyond "BT's a really cool dude " and a Daniel live stream would immediately answer ALL my questions...

Just sayin... As a heavy investor in recent Spitfire (for someone not making an income from music) I'd respect a lengthy independent livestream from some one like Don or DJ since a demo isn't in the cards...

Intro clock is a ticken... I'd luv to hear /see video footage of what you all are so excited about. Really! I mean this! And naked demos would be a big help. please... And some info with each, I. E... 12 tracks of...

But really, a 2 hour live stream would help many of us a LOT more..it could happen NOW! I made an instant purchase just the other night!

Last edited:
Top Bottom