Bt phobos update 1.1.4

Musicam

Amazing Product! Not for me in this moment. I would like special offers on the 10th Anniversary ... Bernard Library and the choir:)

kurtvanzo

Capt. Zorro
Should be interesting. One of my all time favourite albums is "This Binary Universe" (which for some reason is impossible to get anywhere except torrent sites).
There is a CD of it on Amazon for $12, just search the title on Amazon (they don't let you post a link :/)

WhiteNoiz

';...;'
What do you call an alligator in a vest? ... LOL:

Btw, what musical instrument can you find in the bathroom?
A toothpaste tuba. haHAa

Thanks for the laugh though.

kurtvanzo

Capt. Zorro
Great demo CH and Phobos looks like a great accomplishment.

So can you load your own IR and samples?
He already said no loading samples earlier in the thread ("for now"). I would assume IR's are the same. Truth is very few synths allow this besides Omni 2 (which also doesn't load IRs), falcon and Kontakt (which aren't synths but sampling engines)

The Darris

novo strings costing 500+ dollars but phobos for 300-

spitfire > heaviocity :)
Apples ≠ Oranges :)

Very cool sounds in this. I'm still just trying to wrap my head around what is going on in this plug-in based on Paul's walk-through. Could we, perhaps, get a video that clearly explains what the multi-convolution approach is and how it differs from the multitudes of multi-layered libraries that have been released in the last couple of years?

By multi-layers I am talking about the ability to pull in multiple sound sources and process them independently from each other all in the box. I've reviewed a ton a libraries like that and from what I can tell, this is very similar to that "concept" but just does a few things differently, like all of the other libraries out there. Am I missing something?

Best,

Chris

Vastman

we make the future
novo strings costing 500+ dollars but phobos for 300-

spitfire > heaviocity :)
Stupid comparison... totally irrelevant; totally different products. Also, I got Novo for 340 so you're wrong there too...

I won't blow your absurd statement away in this thread as it is Spitfires but really, idiotic and totally ill informed.

As to Phobos, I'll await further info... have loads of this kinda sounding stuff from numerous folks filling my hd's which, after mucking around a bit, I rarely ever go back to. Call it burn out of complex, multi source stuff which takes over the creative effort and space to let myself unfold...

Mind you, this is only my initial impression and I'm open to more insights that might change this. But I really don't feel the ga ga here... but it's early... and just a gut reaction from limited reveal...

Last edited:

jtnyc

Stupid comparison... totally irrelevant; totally different products. Also, I got Novo for 340 so you're wrong there too...

I won't blow your absurd statement away in this thread as it is Spitfires but really, idiotic and totally ill informed.
That is about the rudest reply I can imagine, and totally unprovoked. Complete and total disrespect for no reason whatsoever. Wow, that hits a new low around here. Congratulations!

Vastman

we make the future
That is about the rudest reply I can imagine, and totally unprovoked. Complete and total disrespect for no reason whatsoever. Wow, that hits a new low around here. Congratulations!
it's been a long day... but the comparison was what I was objecting to. Having already acquired Novo and been blown away by it I thought the post was absurd... BTW, Both vendors are amazing. Sorry if I went off a bit harsh...

jtnyc

it's been a long day... but the comparison was what I was objecting to. Both vendors are amazing. Sorry if I went off a bit harsh...
A bit? Let's see, "stupid" "idiotic" "absurd" "totally ill informed". That's not a bit harsh, that is ripping someone to shreds.

Vastman

we make the future
ok, I'll take back stupid and idiotic but it is not a valid comparison... so much not that "absurd" is legit and just another word for "apples and oranges"; My word was more directed at the one company is better than the other meme... "ill informed" I think is probably true, as Phobos isn't out, very little is known of it, no one has it and in contrast Novo is now in many of our hands and "the go to string sound design" product to quote one of our mentors who live streamed today. Now, one last time I'll apologize for my wtf reaction and I'm putting this to bed. You can obsess on it if you'd like but I'm out.

And, more to the point... this is diverting the "spitfire" thread... which I did not start... wish I'd just done something else. But what's done is done and I'M DONE

Puzzlefactory

There is a CD of it on Amazon for $12, just search the title on Amazon (they don't let you post a link :/)
Again, it's not coming up on the Uk Amazon site. Looks like that album is only available in the US.

Edit: Correction, you can get it second hand for about £80. I do like it, but not that much.

Last edited:
OP
Spitfire Team

Spitfire Team

Hi all, thanks for the lively debate.

I'll clarify a few things, whilst there are four source sounds and three convolvers you browse from the same pool of sounds. So loops can be loaded in as convolutions as can tones and atmos's. Then vice a versa, atmos's can be loaded as source sounds as well as loops. Coupled with a realtime ability to convolve the source sound differently between the different convolvers makes for a unique set of possibilities that have particular appeal to film,tv,games composers as you can energise your cues with molecular loops that don't feel loopy and can shift transform and bend in a near infinite number of ways, not just with an HPF (although the engine has those too). BT said that Richard Devine said he was making sounds he's never heard before which is a massive compliment to BT's innovation.

However the key feature that is easy to brush over is the simply biblical amount of content made by BT. It is wise to remember that these aren't multi-mic'd-multi-sampled-round-robiny sounds, these are single hits, 8 bar loops, really really lite on memory, so when you factor that out to 20GB you're talking an ark worth's of amazing original BT material. The equivalent of over 70 beats from the nu skool by our back of the cigarette packet calculations.

One thing we found is that is an absolute rabbit hole of a piece of kit, so many possibilities. So something BT and I insisted upon as media composers ourselves (albeit in different leagues!) was that it was quick to use and versatile out of the box for people who don't have time initially to tweak. So that is why it ships with over 700 presets made by BT, Richard Devine, Paul Thomson, myself and the Spitfire team.

Finally, yes this our own dedicated plugin. It has taken 4 years to develop and uses our own ground up convolution engines and streaming technology. It automatically optimises for your system and it looks..... the bomb!

Best.

CH

Coincidental

Well i just spent the last 3 hours working on this... Managed to break-in to the login form and figured out the user name... now i just need the passcode...
Hmm - when you do work out the passcode, I suggest you try it in Chrome, as it is throwing a javascript error in Firefox ("Use of getPreventDefault() is deprecated. Use defaultPrevented instead.") Haven't a clue what any of that means, but it does work in Chrome.

Glad to see this finally seeing the light of day. Convolution is a fascinating sound exploration tool (Fog Convolver is one of my favourite effects for this reason). The possibility to load our own sample material and impulses into the Phobos engine would be great - even if only into, say, 10 "user slots" - but I appreciate that there's a shedload of stuff in there already :)

Last edited:

wayne_rowley

Looks good, and sounds good, and nice to see Spitfire diversifying into plug-in development.

I've also noted the adverts for more software engineers (if I was London based... ). I do hope this doesn't mean that their sample libraries will soon be moving away from Kontakt in to some kind of custom 'play' engine!

Wayne