What's new

Brass library for vintage bluesy tone (budget)

AudioLoco

Heya all!
I am about to start working on 50s blues track that has to sound legit.
I will have all the other instruments recorded by real people except the brass section if I can avoid it.
All vintage instruments, equipment, ribbon mics and old guitars are ready to go. :)

The tracks I'm emulating/sound-aliking feature a small brass section that sounds pretty sax heavy.
I have nothing in my arsenal that is not symphonic sounding, and I'm not even sure if I have any sax samples at all (!)...
The lines are pretty generic long portamento legato notes harmonized. (no crazy solos or anything like that)

I looked around and Mojo 2 sounds really fantastic, but for one track the investment is a bit too steep....
Any recommendations for a budget (even free?!) option?

Thanks!

Samplemodeling Brass and Audiomodeling Saxes.
Agree with Saxer, who knows whereof he speaks. Important to get them into the space you want because they are dry as a popcorn fart. Nothing else is close for playability or realism.

The downside is that you have to learn to play them, and you have to play each part in yourself, etc. It can be tedious. But honestly with a breath controller I got great results from the trombone from the first hour I used it. Depends on the parts too. For 50s stuff the AM saxes, including the baritone, should work very well if you can play the parts in with finesse (brass too of course). That’s really the key to getting good results from the modeling stuff: playing in the parts as a performance. So, pay a section to record the parts, or play them in yourself.

How about Insanity Samples' New Orleans brass? No saxophones, but it could be good for the rest of the brass. The same company's Cool Jazz Collection has one sax, but it may not be enough even if the moody tone is any good to you.

Orchestral Tools Duplex Saxophones sounds good, but not a budget option.

If you have Komplete you should have Session Horns Pro. I'm not a huge fan, but should be fine for relatively straight forward material.
Session Horns Pro (not the light version) is pretty good IM(amateur)O, and it happens to have a fantastic muted trumpet if you're ever looking for that Miles sort of vibe.

Another relatively budget option could be Impact Soundworks' Straight Ahead Jazz Horns, maybe worth a look-see at least.

Session Horns Pro (not the light version) is pretty good IM(amateur)O, and it happens to have a fantastic muted trumpet if you're ever looking for that Miles sort of vibe.

Another relatively budget option could be Impact Soundworks' Straight Ahead Jazz Horns, maybe worth a look-see at least.
I absolutely concur with this. Session Horns Pro is not cheap, a little unintuitive, but the results are worth it.

...so I'm happy to declare "mission complete" :)
The Fire Sax perfectly did what I needed. The tone is nice and, super importantly, the transitions are super smooth and natural.
I don't think I will use lots of saxes generally in the future hahah, but this one really cut it for the job, and avoided me having to hire a session person just for a few simple lines. (sorry session person!)

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!

Top Bottom