What's new

Boz Digital's Gatey Watey is Really Helping My Video-Making

Reid Rosefelt

aka Tiger the Frog
I've been making videos through the pandemic. Because my wife worked at home I could only do them on weekends. So I had to set up all the equipment and tear it all down each time. Now that she's going to the office again, I can set up on the other side of our loft, where it's possible for me to leave it for a few days. This is great, but it's a LOT noisier there. We live in New York and there are cars and construction sounds. With the windows shut, there is an even hum.

I used gates and various things to try to get rid of the noise, but I wasn't satisfied. i have some spectral processors that should have been able to do it, but I guess I wasn't clever enough to use them properly. And I know that everybody considers RX7 to be the greatest, but I only have the Standard version and I have never been satisfied with the results I've gotten with it for simple noise reduction. It always changed the sound of my voice in ways I found unacceptable.

My point is that I had gear that could do the job, but it was too complicated for me to use right. I'm sure all of you could do it no problem.

Then I remembered Boz Digital's Gatey Watey. This seemed like a simple solution to my problem. It was only supposed to gate in a certain frequency zone. I had a copy I got a long time ago. I dialed in the frequency of the noise and that was it--the noise was gone and my voice was not affected. This is a freaking miracle. Child's play to use and solves my problem perfectly. I'm putting this out for other video makers who are not that sophisticated. This is not an expensive product and in my opinion it is well worth the money.

I've got it loaded directly in Premiere. If there ever is a need to automate it--there hasn't been yet-- I can automate it there. I find doing automation much easier in Premiere than in Cubase. When you automate in Cubase it automates every change and it creates all these lanes. With Premiere it's really easy to fine-tune one parameter change at a time, and make the slopes super smooth.

Last edited:

vitocorleone123

It's a great, simple plugin. I use it's bigger brother, Big Beautiful Door when I need a gate. But sometimes I think I might also grab GW, as well. They're pretty brilliant little tools.

OP
Reid Rosefelt

Reid Rosefelt

aka Tiger the Frog
It's a great, simple plugin. I use it's bigger brother, Big Beautiful Door when I need a gate. But sometimes I think I might also grab GW, as well. They're pretty brilliant little tools.
I just looked at BBD. Very interesting. I think what I like about Gatey Watey is how simple it is. And I can add EQ and other things separately. I can even add two instances of Gatey Watey. But Big Beautiful Door does look amazing.

Last edited:

Quasar

I've been making videos through the pandemic. Because my wife worked at home I could only do them on weekends. So I had to set up all the equipment and tear it all down each time. Now that she's going to the office again, I can set up on the other side of our loft, where it's possible for me to leave it for a few days. This is great, but it's a LOT noisier there. We live in New York and there are cars and construction sounds. With the windows shut, there is an even hum.

I used gates and various things to try to get rid of the noise, but I wasn't satisfied. i have some spectral processors that should have been able to do it, but I guess I wasn't clever enough to use them properly. And I know that everybody considers RX7 to be the greatest, but I only have the Standard version and I have never been satisfied with the results I've gotten with it for simple noise reduction. It always changed the sound of my voice in ways I found unacceptable.

My point is that I had gear that could do the job, but it was too complicated for me to use right. I'm sure all of you could do it no problem.

Then I remembered Boz Digital's Gatey Watey. This seemed like a simple solution to my problem. It was only supposed to gate in a certain frequency zone. I had a copy I got a long time ago. I dialed in the frequency of the noise and that was it--the noise was gone and my voice sounded like it was recorded in a booth. This is a freaking miracle. Child's play to use and solves my problem perfectly. I'm putting this out for other video makers who are not that sophisticated. This is not an expensive product and in my opinion it is well worth the money.

I've got it loaded directly in Premiere. If there ever is a need to automate it--there hasn't been yet-- I can automate it there. I find doing automation much easier in Premiere than in Cubase. When you automate in Cubase it automates every change and it creates all these lanes. With Premiere it's really easy to fine-tune one parameter change at a time, and make the slopes super smooth.

Boz is a cool company, and I have a few of their offerings: The Clap/Boot/Snappet stuff is great. Gatey Watey was recently on sale, and your post makes me wish I had gotten it then, because it's hard for me (using the stock gate in Reaper) to get rid of background noise for spoken word without creating that horrible effect where the entire room disappears in the silence between words, making the room sound like it's coming out of the speakers mouth... If Gatey Watey simplifies the frequency isolation issue then I think I want it. Easy is good when doing stuff like that.

Bee_Abney

Gateywatey is wonderful. I do want to get Big Beautiful Door at some point, but the fact that Gateywatey just works, instantly, after the quickest of dial changes makes life much easier.

Top Bottom