What's new

Botdog Samples - LALI DRUMS (v1.1 update)

chillbot

Sock Muppet
EDIT: Lali Drums has been updated and now works in Kontakt 5.6.8 and higher. See Jdog's post here:

https://vi-control.net/community/th...i-drums-v1-1-update.74251/page-2#post-4290448

- - -

IT’S STICKBREAKING!

In all seriousness, the lali drum has a really cool and unique sound that, to the best of my knowledge, has not yet been sampled. There are a lot of instruments very similar to it… almost every island nation in French Polynesia and Micronesia has their own log drum of some sort-- not to mention Africa-- but the lali drum is unique to Fiji.

Traditionally used in churches and ceremonies, especially as a call to gather at the center of a village, the sound is very piercing and would travel throughout villages and into the mountains. These days they are mostly used to entertain tourists, every hotel in Fiji has a few and puts on nightly entertainment with fire dancers and whatnot. Though if you travel off the beaten path where the tourists don’t go you will still see one in the center of almost every town or village. Here’s a pic I took in one such town:

Lali.jpg

Anyway over the past three years I’ve been fortunate enough to spend about 4 or 5 weeks in Fiji recording local singers and musicians, it’s an amazing place and an amazing culture, full of amazing talent as well. And we’ve managed to bring back four lalis of various sizes. We did a very rough sampling a ways back that I’ve been using in my personal library for the past couple years, but now that I (finally) figured out how to get the big lali into the country (wasn’t easy, weighs about 150lbs) we thought it was time to release a slightly more ‘polished’ version. All sampling and programming credit goes to @Jdiggity1 (aka jdog).

I like to layer the lali with taikos or other big drums as a top layer to cut through, almost like a snare or a bucket drum but the lalis have that wooden ethnic quality. A word of warning: a little lali goes a long ways! They seem to be at a frequency that really pierces through a mix, especially on television. I’ve been asked several times to turn down the lali in a mix.

The lali drums are yours, free of charge, compliments of Botdog Samples.

Though I would like to ask that if you can afford it, you could donate $5 (or more) via paypal to botdogsamples [at] gmail.com. 100% of all donations will go directly to Education Through Music: Los Angeles (etmla.org). You’re obviously welcome to donate direct to ETM:LA if you’d rather, though you have my word we will pass on all donations. (You can also save us the small fee if you donate direct from paypal and select friends & family instead of using the donate link on the site.)

And yes we did actually break a couple of sticks sampling these dang things.

Visit out new website for links and demos: botdogsamples.com

Or here is the direct download link if you can't be bothered.

(Requires full version of Kontakt 5.6.8 or higher)

And if you missed the trailer, catch it here:

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/new-from-botdog-samples-trailer-lalis.74137/

Botdog.png

Last edited:
Awesome, I watched the trailer earlier today and was wondering when it would be released.. And then even free/donation! I can't wait to try it out, the demoes sound great and the trailer is pretty epic.

Killer Job! 4RR, 4 Lali Drums with Rolls that have nice MW dynamics (the top clack layer is great). Even an ensemble section (all 4 Drums stacked) on the left hand. So cool! Clean, dry, will mix really well. :) I can't see ever replacing them.

What a great opening product for Botdog Samples! Highly recommended.

Thank you Botdog samples. Will grab as soon as I get back in studio. As I said on the trailer thread I’ve been looking for a sampled log drum like this (that’s right, I was serious). Marvellous and very generous too.

Does it have Logato?

LOGato?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOGato?

tumblr_mn35zevoAa1spf6jto1_400.gif

Hey @chillbot and @Jdiggity1, what sort of fee does PayPal charge you if I'm sending money from Australia? I went through the send as a gift process and they want to charge me three times the actual payment as a "transaction fee". Obviously this is ridiculous, do they do the same if I send it as a payment for service? You would end up paying them money. Has to be a better way.

What, you couldn't just bang around on the desk??

Anyway, awesome. I dl'd, haven't had a chance to try, but will and absolutely will donate. Sounds like an excellent cause. Cheers, dudes.

Edit-a suggestion and a question.

Suggestion-post the link for the charity here (unless you're shamelessly trying to drive traffic to your site, which is ok by me but if you want the most donations, make it easy peasy)

Question-how come what for K5.8.1?? I ain't upgrading less I gotta. Oh well, I'm happy to donate to a good cause, which I done.

Last edited:
We appreciate the donation NYC Composer

Suggestion-post the link for the charity here (unless you're shamelessly trying to drive traffic to your site, which is ok by me but if you want the most donations, make it easy peasy)

Our nifty paypal donate button doesn't seem to wanna work here for some reason. You can send a donation via paypal to [email protected]
And please check out https://etmla.org/ for more info on the charity.

Question-how come what for K5.8.1?? I ain't upgrading less I gotta. Oh well, I'm happy to donate to a good cause, which I done.

Because here at Botdog Samples, we pride ourselves on being at the cutting edge of sampling technology. So deal with it!
(But also, that was a rookie mistake on my part. I simply built it in the version i had installed at the time. If i could make it backwards compatible, I would. <3)

We appreciate the donation NYC Composer

Our nifty paypal donate button doesn't seem to wanna work here for some reason. You can send a donation via paypal to [email protected]
And please check out https://etmla.org/ for more info on the charity.

Because here at Botdog Samples, we pride ourselves on being at the cutting edge of sampling technology. So deal with it!
(But also, that was a rookie mistake on my part. I simply built it in the version i had installed at the time. If i could make it backwards compatible, I would. <3)
Hey J-dog, not sure if you have seen my query above re payment. Can you help? Should I just go direct and cut out the middle man...ah I mean dog?

Hey J-dog, not sure if you have seen my query above re payment. Can you help? Should I just go direct and cut out the middle man...ah I mean dog?
Oh thanks for the reminder. Having just checked the paypal fees page, Paypal takes 30c + 2.9% for every payment we receive, that's either by donation or by other payment.
Furthermore, if I were to send money to friends & family in another country, there is an additional fee which varies depending on where I'm sending. Apparently it's $2.99 (+2.9%) for Canada & Europe, $4.99 for everywhere else.
I imagine it's a similar situation for you when sending money as a gift.
To confirm though, the receiver is only charged $0.30 + 2.9% of payment. The sender is charged the transaction fee.
Can you confirm whether you are required to pay those higher fees when following the donate button on the website? https://botdogsamples.com/lali-drums

Oh thanks for the reminder. Having just checked the paypal fees page, Paypal takes 30c + 2.9% for every payment we receive, that's either by donation or by other payment.
Furthermore, if I were to send money to friends & family in another country, there is an additional fee which varies depending on where I'm sending. Apparently it's $2.99 (+2.9%) for Canada & Europe, $4.99 for everywhere else.
I imagine it's a similar situation for you when sending money as a gift.
To confirm though, the receiver is only charged $0.30 + 2.9% of payment. The sender is charged the transaction fee.
Can you confirm whether you are required to pay those higher fees when following the donate button on the website? https://botdogsamples.com/lali-drums
I’ll check that and report back. Thanks for the reply.

I'll skip that one since I'm saving for N.

Joke aside, good initiative & good instrument. I'm already thinking of some uses.
Been donating too.

okay, so no fee in the US if you use your Paypal balance or bank account. If you use your credit card, it was showing as a $.45 fee for $5. I'm guessing this is because they have to pay the credit card fee whenever you use it. Similarly, there are probably international transaction fees.

Top Bottom