What's new

Bohemian Series Expansions Thread, Violin Expansion 2 Improv Video

Virharmonic has a maintenance right now ...
Maybe it's time for something new?!
Not just yet.

This is just a server and minor website update so we could give nicer accounts for customers, easier downloads, faster speeds, faster loading and all that. We should be back up and running in few more hours or tomorrow morning if we don't get it all done and propagated today.

The major stuff is still at least a month or two off. But there are some really exciting major things coming this year. Once the site is up, feel free to check out the Dev Blog and as usual we will keep our progress updated there.

Only the secret project is missing from the schedule and what is the secret project will be unveiled with the next big release ;)

Thank you for your patience

And the Update is complete. Site is back up. Thank you for your patience. Next announcement should be much more glamorous ;)

Last edited:
Not just yet.

This is just a server and minor website update so we could give nicer accounts for customers, easier downloads, faster speeds, faster loading and all that. We should be back up and running in few more hours or tomorrow morning if we don't get it all done and propagated today.

The major stuff is still at least a month or two off. But there are some really exciting major things coming this year. Once the site is up, feel free to check out the Dev Blog and as usual we will keep our progress updated there.

Only the secret project is missing from the schedule and what is the secret project will be unveiled with the next big release ;)

Thank you for your patience

And the Update is complete. Site is back up. Thank you for your patience. Next announcement should be much more glamorous ;)
viola is now at 63% including content for part 3........

what is the content of the 3‘d part?
anybody knows?

viola is now at 63% including content for part 3........

what is the content of the 3‘d part?
anybody knows?

Hi Silence is Golden

We haven't announced an exhaustive list as of yet for EXP3. We only do that when we go to Beta as some features or articulations may not make it into the final release (if they don't meet our expectations). Saying that, I can say that EXP3 is looking at extended articulations (Sul Tasto, Harmonics, Sul Ponticello and more) and upgrading the whole library ( upgrading existing features, loading time being squashed, memory uptake and much more)

What we are aiming for at the moment is to launch Violin EXP3, Cello EXP2 and 3 (launching together in one huge update) and Viola (including all expansions) during this summer as all libraries are being worked on simultaneously ( the current world events have had some impact on our schedule, but luckily Czech Rep is now releasing the quarantine rules, so we expect to be back to full operational speed next week and while it might not be the beginning of summer as I originally wanted, it will happen this summer as some other things have gone ahead of original schedule, so it should all pan out nicely).

We also have 3 more unannounced libraries in the pipe line and One Big Secret that we have been working on that will be revealed with the launches ahead :)

We have exciting months ahead for us (Filled with hours of never ending work :D ) and I'm confident that you will love the things we have in the pipe line ;)

Warm Regards

Ondrej

Hi Silence is Golden

We haven't announced an exhaustive list as of yet for EXP3. We only do that when we go to Beta as some features or articulations may not make it into the final release (if they don't meet our expectations). Saying that, I can say that EXP3 is looking at extended articulations (Sul Tasto, Harmonics, Sul Ponticello and more) and upgrading the whole library ( upgrading existing features, loading time being squashed, memory uptake and much more)

What we are aiming for at the moment is to launch Violin EXP3, Cello EXP2 and 3 (launching together in one huge update) and Viola (including all expansions) during this summer as all libraries are being worked on simultaneously ( the current world events have had some impact on our schedule, but luckily Czech Rep is now releasing the quarantine rules, so we expect to be back to full operational speed next week and while it might not be the beginning of summer as I originally wanted, it will happen this summer as some other things have gone ahead of original schedule, so it should all pan out nicely).

We also have 3 more unannounced libraries in the pipe line and One Big Secret that we have been working on that will be revealed with the launches ahead :)

We have exciting months ahead for us (Filled with hours of never ending work :D ) and I'm confident that you will love the things we have in the pipe line ;)

Warm Regards

Ondrej
Marvelous!
thanks for including us in the plan.( you said nothing about the secret project so that speaks ;) Edit: didn’t read it all, you spoke about the secret project....... and others!!

and I think you now have an obligation to the world by @davidson brilliant suggestion.

Last edited:
Huge respect for the precision innovation and passion that Vir Harmonic bring to their art and engineering.

Very little respect for their effort estimates :)

This is not in any way a complaint. When you're creating something so fundamentally new, forging into territory as hitherto undiscovered as these instruments, this is exactly the right way to do it.

But I for one am setting my expectations so that I'm going to be immensely delighted, perhaps even a little shocked, if a summer release turns out to be remotely realistic. As opposed bitterly disappointed should it turns out that the engineering challenges of really knocking it out of the park turn out to be, well maybe a little more complex than expected (because such things always are) and a summer release turns out to have been a touch optimistic. Such is the nature of this kind of innovation. :)

Sul Tasto though .... so exciting. Will it have legato? Because I'd kill for a cello Sul Tasto legato.

Last edited:
I've just bought the Cello to go along with the Violin I purchased in the initial pre-order (I kept meaning to add the Cello but never quite had the funds). Absolutely wonderful (excusing the couple of hours I had to wait as ilok was down). Definitely one of the most enjoyable instruments to just play.

I wonder if it would be possible to see a midi-out that includes the articulations being played in improv, etc. so that an improvised performance could be recorded and later tweaked.

Really looking forward to the upcoming viola and additional announcements.

The world would be a better place if Virharmonic decided to one day release full orchestra section libraries with the same playability as the solo strings.

This is a nice idea theoretically but unfortunately it would probably take about 15 or 20 years for them to accomplish such an endeavor,if it was even feasible.
What kind of CPU would be able to handle something along these lines,yes maybe in that time the technology will be there.
Seeing the amount of time they have needed to create the cello and violin and the upcoming viola.
As nice as this idea is I just don’t see it as realistic in this point in time,although I hope I’m wrong.

Since the constant prices keep me from buying the Virharmonic libraries before I've found my peace with all the sales of the other big companies, is there any chance of an introductory price or even a reduced introductory bundle price for all the Bohemian libraries when the updates are released in the near future?

Since the constant prices keep me from buying the Virharmonic libraries before I've found my peace with all the sales of the other big companies, is there any chance of an introductory price or even a reduced introductory bundle price for all the Bohemian libraries when the updates are released in the near future?

This is a question for @Virharmonic, but their business model with the Bohemian series seems to be to get their customers to invest in the creation of the libraries. It's like Kickstarter, really. We give them our money and they use our money to make and gradually add features to the libraries. Without our advance investment, they simply wouldn't be able to take so many years to make them. I think they started with the pre-buys on the violin in 2016 or even earlier.

At this point, I can't imagine why they would tell people not to give them seed money today by saying it will all be available cheaper down the road. No, the inducement is that it's cheaper today and more expensive down the road. I don't think you will ever be able to get the violin or cello for less they are than today.

Companies do all sorts of things, but if they lied to their customer/investors on this, it would hurt them with all their future attempts to do things in this way.

Hi Sphore,

It is unlikely that the Bohemian series will go on sale in the future, the price has increased for new customers as we have added additional content (which was always free to existing owners).

We have always priced the product on the current content level (not including future updates in the price calculation), we do use what would be the profits for extra development and additional free content to existing customers (which alway massively increase the ability of the performer) because we aim to make something special and are willing to spend the time and money needed to get what we and our users desire. All new expansions have always been free for existing customers, so if they bought the library at the start (before the 2 expansions we added) they bought at the content price of that time.

Of course the Bohemian Series has a unique model of free expansions, but not all our series will work that way.

I hope the above clarifies the model we have taken with the pricing and structure of the updates for the Bohemian Series.

Warm Regards

Alex

Hi Sphore,

It is unlikely that the Bohemian series will go on sale in the future, the price has increased for new customers as we have added additional content (which was always free to existing owners).

We have always priced the product on the current content level (not including future updates in the price calculation), we do use what would be the profits for extra development and additional free content to existing customers (which alway massively increase the ability of the performer) because we aim to make something special and are willing to spend the time and money needed to get what we and our users desire. All new expansions have always been free for existing customers, so if they bought the library at the start (before the 2 expansions we added) they bought at the content price of that time.

Of course the Bohemian Series has a unique model of free expansions, but not all our series will work that way.

I hope the above clarifies the model we have taken with the pricing and structure of the updates for the Bohemian Series.

Warm Regards

Alex

Because we are in your safe zone of this forum, I will keep my thoughts mostly to myself. And I think you perceive this approach towards pricing as fair and mean to do well towards your customers, which I respect.

In short: I think this pricing model is highly unfair and has some aspects of a snow ball system. The better your position in the hierarchy, the more you gain. Of course your pyramid doesn't collapse at some point (hopefully). I wish you all the best and greatly like the sound of your Bohemian series. Soundwise they are a no-brainer for me. Really great and exceptional quality. But if there won't be some workaround for example with a bundle offer with the release of the viola or anytime later this year, but just another price raise, I'm out for good. And glad I haven't supported this business scheme in the first place.

Because we are in your safe zone of this forum, I will keep my thoughts mostly to myself. And I think you perceive this approach towards pricing as fair and mean to do well towards your customers, which I respect.

In short: I think this pricing model is highly unfair and has some aspects of a snow ball system. The better your position in the hierarchy, the more you gain. Of course your pyramid doesn't collapse at some point (hopefully). I wish you all the best and greatly like the sound of your Bohemian series. Soundwise they are a no-brainer for me. Really great and exceptional quality. But if there won't be some workaround for example with a bundle offer with the release of the viola or anytime later this year, but just another price raise, I'm out for good. And glad I haven't supported this business scheme in the first place.
Wow that’s a bit harsh. You get what you pay for. Earlier adopters get the advantage of a cheaper price as a thank you for their trust and support - but later adopters who have to pay more still get incredible value for their money. It’s not as if the libraries are not worth the asking price even later down the road. You are presupposing that paying more later is unfair to you - but it is not. You get an amazing library for the money. It’s up to you if it’s worth the price they ask.

companies do all sorts of things to entice customers, and offering lower intro pricing or even pre-pricing is common.

orchestral tools offers introductory pricing on new libraries, and then rarely if ever has a sale after that. It’s just part of the business model.

It takes a lot of money and time to develop these high quality libraries, and I personally support this with my money, happily.

These sample libraries have to make money some how ! I think comparing it to some corrupt snowball /business scheme is ridiculous. The items may be quite expensive now, but you get what you pay for. They really are so expressive and one of a kind.

A race to the bottom (in terms of prices and sales sales sales ) will only harm everyone involved in the business. I don't think any sample library OWES us to have a Sale etc.
If you feel the price is too high - Don't buy, but putting VIR Harmonic down aint right, when they have been honest since the start ?

I was an early adopter for the violin and cello... I have absolutely no problem with Virharmonic offering discounts on said products - individual and/or bundles. It will be in their best interests to reap what they can from their efforts.

Ever since I got Version 3, the notes seem to sustain quite a bit longer when I release a key than on the prior 2 versions? Is that intentional? This is on all 'styles' Improv, Czardas etc.

Thank you.

Ever since I got Version 3, the notes seem to sustain quite a bit longer when I release a key than on the prior 2 versions? Is that intentional? This is on all 'styles' Improv, Czardas etc.

Thank you.

Hello Michael,

Yes that was intentional, Version 3 has a new "Release Time" which you can adjust on the user interface, originally it was hard coded so you could not change it, but now you can switch between a Release time of 300ms, 225ms and 150ms, it is set at 300ms by default as that is the easiest setting (for loose playing).

The Release time is also adjustable for each mood, so you can have different times depending on the mood you are on. You can find the Release time on the top right of the control page (there is a reference to it on page 17 of the manual). And here is the example on the Quick look GUI Tutorial (I've jumped to the relevant part):

I hope the above helps and please do not hesitate message me if you have any further questions :)

Warm Regards

Alex

Hello Michael,

Yes that was intentional, Version 3 has a new "Release Time" which you can adjust on the user interface, originally it was hard coded so you could not change it, but now you can switch between a Release time of 300ms, 225ms and 150ms, it is set at 300ms by default as that is the easiest setting (for loose playing).

The Release time is also adjustable for each mood, so you can have different times depending on the mood you are on. You can find the Release time on the top right of the control page (there is a reference to it on page 17 of the manual). And here is the example on the Quick look GUI Tutorial (I've jumped to the relevant part):

I hope the above helps and please do not hesitate message me if you have any further questions :)

Warm Regards

Alex

Damn, I don’t know there’re hidden features until now! Thanks!

Top Bottom