What's new

Bohemian Series Expansions Thread, Violin Expansion 2 Improv Video

Wonderful update - puts it in its own league now. That's saying a lot with the 'other' vln VI based on a famous player. :) So hoping this 'treatment' applied to the cello makes that one more useable here. While the tone and playability of this violin is outstanding I am less in love with the player used on the cello library - but perhaps with all these similar options that one will find its way on more projects as well. ;) Again - outstanding update of the violin. Now will be my go-to.

This is particularly apparent with the Ab from 0:35-0:39.
Man, you're right. That's actually a bummer...it not only changes timbre but sounds kinda synthy. Hoping that's limited to a few samples....Oh well, like you said, still a great update.

[I posted this on TSB but thought I might share here too. Sorry about the crosspost.]

The main problem I hear that will be difficult to treat in post-processing is the degree to which some of the notes differ in timbre as they're rebowed. This is particularly apparent with the Ab from 0:35-0:39. It still sounds musical, which is the most important thing, but it pretty abruptly breaks the illusion. On the flip side, it took that grace note at 0:41 like a boss.

Still, this is a great expansion, and the best part is that since I already own the Bohemian I paid $0 for it. :)

Hi Tack,

Personally to me it sounds still natural. Timber of the rebow is dependent on both the string position ( performer tries to match it 100%, but in some points it can be difficult to match it 100% as it can be in a region where it is harder to predict where the melody will go, but also there is a natural difference in timber between up bow and down bow which can be most noticeable right after bow change. Normally this difference is nominal, but in some cases it can be more pronounced as they are captured as part of a performance, so this can happen in a very limited amount. However the main advantage is that you still have all the other bow variations, you could try to use Mid Arc or Sustain depending on the needs and decide if one of the alternatives sound better to you. For EXP3 we can look into ways to add even more control for re-bowing as there is so much that one can do while rebowing, but there is already plenty of ways to approach phrases in current version :)

I'm really happy to hear that now we are discussing true nuances of performance :)

Hope that helps and
Wonderful update - puts it in its own league now. That's saying a lot with the 'other' vln VI based on a famous player. :) So hoping this 'treatment' applied to the cello makes that one more useable here. While the tone and playability of this violin is outstanding I am less in love with the player used on the cello library - but perhaps with all these similar options that one will find its way on more projects as well. ;) Again - outstanding update of the violin. Now will be my go-to.

Thanks Rob, we will aim to make sure that the cello enjoys the same treatment as the violin and I hope that the cello pops to your go-to list too after the update as well :)

Sounds amazing!

Just one thing - I cant get tremolo to work at all

Hi Simon, Tremolo must be played really fast. I mean true tremolo speed. You might have to sequence that in a DAW as it will engage only once it reaches the speeds of tremolo and depending on the speed of your Key Return on your keyboard it might be hard to play. Different moods engage tremolo sooner or later. Improv will use it only if you actually reach the speed of tremolo. Czardas and Concertino will engage Tremolo slightly sooner ( ie easier to achieve on live keyboard) but it must still be really fast rebows. At this point we have added this type of tremolo and in EXP3 we can add normal style force on tremolo as well as the EXP3 is about the extended articulations and what ever else you manage to come up with and we manage to implement, but if you make sure that you have a sequence of really fast midi in your DAW in tremolo speed (in case the keyboard doesn't return fast enough for piano tremolo) you will see that tremolo activates :)

Hi Simon, Tremolo must be played really fast. I mean true tremolo speed. You might have to sequence that in a DAW as it will engage only once it reaches the speeds of tremolo and depending on the speed of your Key Return on your keyboard it might be hard to play. Different moods engage tremolo sooner or later. Improv will use it only if you actually reach the speed of tremolo. Czardas and Concertino will engage Tremolo slightly sooner ( ie easier to achieve on live keyboard) but it must still be really fast rebows. At this point we have added this type of tremolo and in EXP3 we can add normal style force on tremolo as well as the EXP3 is about the extended articulations and what ever else you manage to come up with and we manage to implement, but if you make sure that you have a sequence of really fast midi in your DAW in tremolo speed (in case the keyboard doesn't return fast enough for piano tremolo) you will see that tremolo activates :)
LOL I had it for a second

my arm hurts now.

LOL I had it for a second

my arm hurts now.
:rofl: It is lot easier to sequence the tremolo. Playing tremolo on piano is not the easiest unless there is a really good key return action, but as at this point we have performable tremolo, if it engages too early it would be destructive to normal composing, so hence the requirement for tremolo speed

I'm getting an unusual really loud held sustain on the highest G (G5) note in Improv. Not tried with other styles yet. Is this just me? I've adjusted octaves on my controller and get the same response. I know i have a dodge G key on my controller but this happens on all my G keys. Even if I enter that note manually in my DAW sequencer I get the same response. Not related to or responsive to velocity or mod wheel. It will only fade once I play some (more than one) subsequent notes and I guess the legato function stops using that sample.

Can anyone else repeat this on their systems or is it just me?

Edit - tried with other styles and get the same response apart from the Concertino.

Edit edit - I should say that apart from this one thing it sounds brilliant.

Last edited:
I can not replicate the issue, Are you using the newest most up to date version of UVi Workstation? Otherwise I can not replicate the issue. If you continue having the issue please contact our support and we can look into it, but there are no issues reported so far and already hundreds of users have it, so I would expect to be hear about things like this. Most important is to update the UVI Workstation.

I can not replicate the issue, Are you using the newest most up to date version of UVi Workstation? Otherwise I can not replicate the issue. If you continue having the issue please contact our support and we can look into it, but there are no issues reported so far and already hundreds of users have it, so I would expect to be hear about things like this. Most important is to update the UVI Workstation.
Thanks for checking. I will check my version of Workstation (and may try to uncompress the download again). If none of that solves the problem I will log a ticket with support. Been playing some more in the meantime and it really does sound amazing. Very happy.

Edit - updated UVI workstation (if in doubt read the instructions, sorry) and in standalone I'm not getting the problem. Will check in DAW now. Thank you Virharmonic.

Edit edit - And works as expected in DAW now too following update to latest UVI player.

Last edited:
I have a problem when I try loading the newest version, either in Falcon or UVI Workstation (updated also to the latest version). I get a message "loading samples" with an spiraling arrow beside this message and it won't go away. I can't access the options in the window because of this message. Anyone can help? Thanks.

I have a problem when I try loading the newest version, either in Falcon or UVI Workstation (updated also to the latest version). I get a message "loading samples" with an spiraling arrow beside this message and it won't go away. I can't access the options in the window because of this message. Anyone can help? Thanks.

Hi Ryan Please update UVI to the newest version and please make sure that the plugin is connected to your audio. The only time UVI GUI will not respond is if it is not connected to audio. To check if it is audio connection please click effects tab in UVI and then back to edit. If the DAW is causing an issue this should fix it. If the issue persist please contact our support and we can investigate your exact setup and assist you further

I messed around with it yesterday and even I, as an extremely incompetent keyboard player, managed to get a reasonably good result (imho of course). I am glad I got aboard a couple of years ago. A great instrument.

Vibrato is a literal signature of any string performer. You can usually tell who is playing what by their vibrato. We have a nice lyrical vibrato in the samples as part of the performance style we went for, but would i say it is as dominant as in her playing especially on the lower dynamics? Probably not as that would make it less flexible. Now if the question was if we can add that in the later season - the answer is sure - if there is enough interest we will. In the end it will be users who will vote on the next articulation/play style we work on in January. We will explain this way of working on Soul Capture as we go along, but the current plan is to do quarterly updates introducing more and more articulations and play styles as the seasons progress. We are very well aware that we will be working day and night to get this done in speedy manner, but that is why we have spent over a year developing a modular engine where we can add features to at a whim and not cause issues for us. This is very unique setup as we have developed this library with the core philosophy that version one is the base (very powerful one) to expand on.

Just downloaded the update the other day and it sounds great ! The legato and vibrato sound very good. Will there ever be an update to be able to adjust vibrato to taste as it can be a bit strong in some instances for certain pieces ? Right now it seems it is either on or off with a key switch to no vibrato correct ?

Just downloaded the update the other day and it sounds great ! The legato and vibrato sound very good. Will there ever be an update to be able to adjust vibrato to taste as it can be a bit strong in some instances for certain pieces ? Right now it seems it is either on or off with a key switch to no vibrato correct ?

Thanks for the kind words. To answer the question. This is one of the rare times where we have to say no. While we are crazy with the amount we are willing to sample, controllable vibrato can not be done well with this concept and would result in breaking the concept. We have been open about this since day one as the main issue is that crossfading sounds bad and so does virtual vibrato when put directly next to the rest of the samples captured this way. One of the main reasons Bohemian violin sounds so real and emotional is because all the samples are real and played in phrase and musical context and the moment you try to add something fake or not natural it will sound out of place and we avoid faking things where ever possible (hence almost 56k samples)

Thank you
Alex

Thanks for the kind words. To answer the question. This is one of the rare times where we have to say no. While we are crazy with the amount we are willing to sample, controllable vibrato can not be done well with this concept and would result in breaking the concept. We have been open about this since day one as the main issue is that crossfading sounds bad and so does virtual vibrato when put directly next to the rest of the samples captured this way. One of the main reasons Bohemian violin sounds so real and emotional is because all the samples are real and played in phrase and musical context and the moment you try to add something fake or not natural it will sound out of place and we avoid faking things where ever possible (hence almost 56k samples)

Thank you
Alex
Thanks for the quick reply , Thats what I figured but thought I would ask anyway. For most things the vibrato will be fine given that it is very emotional. If I need something less for vibrato I do have some other solo violin libs I can also use.

You could always try hacking it with non-vib articulation and pitch bend, but that's probably not gonna sound exceptionally well...

Top Bottom