What's new

Bohemian Series Expansions Thread, Violin Expansion 2 Improv Video

Hi Simon, The servers are peddling rather well, but sadly depending on your location you might not be getting the speed the server can deliver. Little we can do about this on server side, but if you contact our support we will be able to assist you. ;)

Warm Regards

Ondrej
I live in Melbourne, hardly the middle of nowhere. I don't think there's much support can help with. Ill just have to leave my computer on all day and night.

It appears to be going faster this morning so that's good!

Last edited:
How do I activate my product? I - thankfully - dont have to use Ilok much anymore. I have a serial number but it looks like you need an activation code which I do not have?

How do I activate my product? I - thankfully - dont have to use Ilok much anymore. I have a serial number but it looks like you need an activation code which I do not have?

ilok nowadays no need the dongle anymore right? you just need to login into the ilok account and get it activated either to your dongle or to your PC.

Downloading went smooth. Playing the instrument even smoother.

Bohemian Cello Exp is the very best instrument I have in my library I guess. I just LOVE it.

And I have...

-Albion 1
-Omnisphere 2
-Jaeger
-Cinematic Strings 2
-Bohemian Violin Exp

And a lot more...

Very verrry nice update folks, congrats.

I thought I'd do a test to see how well the two instruments track the same phrase using the Improv empotion. Answer - pretty well... eventually. I ended up having to do a bit of manipulation to the midi data on the violin as some notes the scripting made oddly quiet. I had to undo those for the cello, which sounded very natural on the original playing. So I got to wondering.... has the scripting been improved overall for this release, and that will make it into the next violin release?

Thank you guys for the really kind words :)

Here comes another tutorial as promised. We will release one more next week on legatos specifically and that will complete the tutorial series. Promo price will end 5th March

A

I could listen to you all day!

Just a question, I really liked the Bow Change option in the violin - is it possible with the Cello exp 1?

Really nice tutorial, congrats ! That little timeline is a great idea :)

Thank you :) I hope users find these useful.

Very verrry nice update folks, congrats.

I thought I'd do a test to see how well the two instruments track the same phrase using the Improv empotion. Answer - pretty well... eventually. I ended up having to do a bit of manipulation to the midi data on the violin as some notes the scripting made oddly quiet. I had to undo those for the cello, which sounded very natural on the original playing. So I got to wondering.... has the scripting been improved overall for this release, and that will make it into the next violin release?
Hi Guy,

Yes and Yes, but to a point - all script advances will be passed over to the violinist when we launch EXP2 as well as sample edits, but of course each of the performers has different approach to the same phrase, so they will never be exactly the same ;) . Also Expansion 2 is shaping up to be very similar in size to EXP1, so the violinist will once again be ahead of the Cello once EXP2 comes out and we have to do further script advances to accommodate such an expansion, so yep, we will pass on any advances, but in EXP2 we also evolve them, plus the violinist will of course get the spanking new GUI to match the new GUI in Cello ;)

I could listen to you all day!

Just a question, I really liked the Bow Change option in the violin - is it possible with the Cello exp 1?
Hi Simon. Thank you for the kind words :) It is in there as well, just select which force key will do so by going to the layout page - if you missed it you can check out our GUI tutorial where I explain how to change GUI slots, so you can setup things how you need for your workflow. Although the Bow Change can also by activated without force key - By simply not overlapping the notes - if the new note is shortly after the released note then you get bow changed legato in the same way as if you have forced it via force key.
GUI Tutorial is in Tutorial Tabs on the cello page - https://www.virharmonic.com/bohemian_cello and legato tutorial will come out beginning of the next week. It is already sent of for video editing ;)

Yes and Yes, but to a point - all script advances will be passed over to the violinist when we launch EXP2 as well as sample edits, but of course each of the performers has different approach to the same phrase, so they will never be exactly the same ;) . Also Expansion 2 is shaping up to be very similar in size to EXP1, so the violinist will once again be ahead of the Cello once EXP2 comes out and we have to do further script advances to accommodate such an expansion, so yep, we will pass on any advances, but in EXP2 we also evolve them, plus the violinist will of course get the spanking new GUI to match the new GUI in Cello ;)

That all sounds great. FWIW to clarify - the issues I found with a mp/mf test phrase with both violin and cello were not so much to do with phrasing on the violin, there seemed to be this very strange volume drop on part of the violin phrase unless I wildly compensated with editing the offending key velocities to 127, when it sounded smoother. It sounded seamless first time on the cello on the original velocities, hence me thinking that there had been some general scripting improvements with the cello.

That all sounds great. FWIW to clarify - the issues I found with a mp/mf test phrase with both violin and cello were not so much to do with phrasing on the violin, there seemed to be this very strange volume drop on part of the violin phrase unless I wildly compensated with editing the offending key velocities to 127, when it sounded smoother. It sounded seamless first time on the cello on the original velocities, hence me thinking that there had been some general scripting improvements with the cello.

There has been improvements in smoothing things over in the script, but I will also be going through all the violin samples prior to release of EXP2 and make sure that there are no volume dips. We have also improved our workflow on the cello, so the violin will receive the same love ;)

Had this in my cart last night and had some trouble, logged in today and the price went up even though it's still the 5th here....

Looking forward to trying the Bohemian cellos that I purchased last week. Lousy PC issues have caused me to reinstall Windows 10 again. :eek: Hoping to be in sampled cello heaven though any day now. :dancer:

In my "Composing chamber music fast" tutorial video I've put Bohemian Cello and Bohemian Violin to good use...
The screencast starts and ends with some juicy Bohemian action, the mid part is "just" the process of composing the music.
No keyswitches used, just plain MIDI.

@Virharmonic Could you please add a toggle/latch for the portamentos... there are times when I do not want any portamentos, but the players insist!

Hi LamaRose,

The performer does use slurs for half onbow legato and the full note legato in the cases where we have position change which includes slur during the position change. In other words it isn't forcing on a portamento, but the slur is captured as part of the" in mementum capture" and is part of the legato. If you want legato without the slur you can either force quarter speed (faster) legato or use bow changed legato, as the fast legato uses fingered legato with a string change instead of slurred position changed legato.

I hope the above helps. In exp2 we are further expanding the variety of legatos and bow types available to the performer, but the above tip is immediate solution to avoiding slurs on legatos you want to be fingered.

Top Bottom