What's new

Bohemian Series Expansions Thread, Violin Expansion 2 Improv Video

yes. It is spark verb which is part of the product, but you can turn it off and use reverb of your choice- the library is recorded dry.

Spark Verb is great. Also a part of Falcon, I believe. What's great about Spark Verb imo, is that like another reverb I mentioned elsewhere, it's really good at positioning your sound within the soundstage without at the same time making it sound like it's buried in verb and muffling the overall sound. (unless that's a sound that you're going for, which it can do as well.)

Gotta say...of late most releases are....meh...THIS ONE has my attentions. Looking forward to hearing more about the release and especially the release of the rest of the quartet.

I would be interested to know how you control which articulation plays as without CC, Expression, Keyswitches I can only assume its velocity based like Cinesamples?

It is not just velocity based ;) _ It is based on a number of parameters which the system handles on your play style one of which is velocity and others are what articulation are you on at the point of origin, how far did you get in the bow (how long you held it for), did you lift the bow or overlapped your notes or not, did you rebow ect..

Maybe one the the best virtual violon to control expression (attack, vibrato, legato) is the Emberton Friedlander violon. But it needs a good active EQ (as HOFA) to control the harsh sound or other imperfections. I own other solo violons, but I hate "Key switching".
Sorry, I like that other library you mentioned, but IMO alas it cannot even come close to what Lucia can do. :)

We are very proud to present our First ever showing of our brand New library.

For over a year we have worked on a completely new way of making Virtual Instruments. Instead of making another Virtual Instrument we have made a Virtual Performer. This is his first public performance!
We Present to you the Bohemian Violin - First ever violin performer and first in our new Soul Capture series.

No Loops, No CC, No keyswitching and No Cheating. Just playing the keyboard live!

For more info and to pre-order visit www.virharmonic.com/bohemian_violin

Hello ,

Thanks for the nice video and preview. I think the violin has a great tone and nice ambience. Though I have a few maybe simple questions:

1. Are you able to control expression / dynamics also via modwheel? Or is it only based on note velocities?
2. How agile is the Library? Though At 2:22 around there are some few passages, I am speaking of even faster writing.

Last edited:
Gotta say...of late most releases are....meh...THIS ONE has my attentions.

Mine too. This really is something. Easiest pre-order decision of the year.

Alexander - the virharmonic folks have answered these questions a fair bit around the different forums (and indeed Q1 is answered just a few posts up from yours - in short - no to modwheel, but it uses more than key velocity, and all expression is baked into the sounds which is hopefully more realistic than CC1 if everything else pays off). Q2 - at the moment that's the speed limit of the library, the next release will focus on faster performing.

Mine too. This really is something. Easiest pre-order decision of the year.

Alexander - the virharmonic folks have answered these questions a fair bit around the different forums (and indeed Q1 is answered just a few posts up from yours - in short - no to modwheel, but it uses more than key velocity, and all expression is baked into the sounds which is hopefully more realistic than CC1 if everything else pays off). Q2 - at the moment that's the speed limit of the library, the next release will focus on faster performing.

Sorry, I passed that post, had a long day in the studio..

Thank you, Guy.

Just to clarify, Rob...that was Lucia Micarelli to whom I referred...a real violinist. Check out the comments about her on page 1 of this thread if I created any confusion with my comment. :) Cheers.
yup for sure - having said that - this VI has my interest. Love to 'try it' here in the studio. I have a dozen solo vlns and unless I want to spend way more time than I usually have - there they sit on my SSD's. I'd love to 'hear' something and play it almost instantly...minor tweak perhaps and then move on.

Also, if I'm correct, you can get up to three activations - which is enough to have one on your main computer, one on your laptop and even one spare. Generous policy imo.

I don't want to start a new 'ilok war' but I really find it excessive to use copy protection AND forbid reselling a product. I own EWQL products so I know what iLok licence manager is. Since Virharmonic is listening to their customers, I think it's important for them to understand why they loose sales, especially when the product is really good ;)

Personally, I don't have any problems with iLok protection or the companies that use it...or USB e-licenser keys. Virharmonic is also not doing anything any different than many other companies in that regard either. Again, just my personal opinion, but for me I'm not sure why iLok association should stop anyone from buying a great library. It certainly wouldn't stop me for example. I have 34 licenses on iLok, have never had a problem over the years, and have ZDT in case anything ever happens. Others obviously have other opinions though, so I only speak for myself and others who are content with the system. In any case, it doesn't appear it's going to stop too many people here from proceeding with a purchase of this new library, and for me personally, it's not an issue.

How much does a soul go for these days?

Roughly over a year of 60+ hours per week of concept recordings and testing :), but seriously guys we are really happy by the reception of our newest project and we look forward to working with you on the expansions and further development as we go through all the expansion stages. Trust me when I say that we are as excited as you are.
Thank you for sharing the videos, blogging about it and making it seen.

Cheers Ondrej

Top Bottom