What's new

Body and Soul

hi Craig, very tasteful arrangement!
The strings sound lovely, and well written
Solo violin at the very beginning is almost real, though rebows (at least that's what they sound like to me) tend to interrupt the sustained notes a bit.
An interesting choice, the sound of the guitar. I was expecting the typical 175...
What's there at 02:56, harmony seems to be less intelligible for a couple bars... I'm nitpicking I know

Nice work, have already listened three times...

hi Craig, very tasteful arrangement!
The strings sound lovely, and well written
Solo violin at the very beginning is almost real, though rebows (at least that's what they sound like to me) tend to interrupt the sustained notes a bit.
An interesting choice, the sound of the guitar. I was expecting the typical 175...
What's there at 02:56, harmony seems to be less intelligible for a couple bars... I'm nitpicking I know

Nice work, have already listened three times...

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the listen or should I say listens!..I'll recheck that bowing on the violin, thanks for that though I expect it to be played by a real player. The guitar is a Gypsy Jazz guitar, influenced by Django. I have a 175 but have moved away from using it as I find the sound to be a sterile compared to Gypsy Jazz guitars where you can vibrato and bend and do all kinds of tricks most typical jazz players do not do. That's what attracted me to the style. That said Metheny who is a 175 style player maybe my favorite guitarist but his sound is not that of a typical jazz player. The part at 2:56 is exactly as intended, the chord is an Eb9 which is a b5 sub of the A7 & going to Dmaj7 but to me is far for interesting. It is a typical gypsy Jazz sub because the Bb is actually in the bass of the Eb9 chord of the guitar and though it may rub against the A from the bassist I still like the sound. Again this is from Gypsy Jazz vernacular and not something I would teach in theory. I could also change the bass note to match.

Reactions: Rob
Thanks Guys!...appreciate the listen, didn't think people came down here (certainly not often)

Top Bottom