1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bluegrass instruments libraries

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by garyhiebner, Jun 30, 2017.

1. garyhiebner

garyhiebner Senior Member

Jan 3, 2015
    Can you guys recommend any good libraries/instruments for Bluegrass?

I got RealiTones' RealiBanjo. And I've seen Boulder Sounds Banjo come up as a suggestion as well.

But I'm also looking for some good Bluegrass-style upright bass, mandolin, and fiddle instruments.

2. Paul Grymaud

Paul Grymaud Active Member

Hi Gary,

Yes, I can recommend Boulder sounds. Great banjo and mandolin.
    Here's an example where I use both. The acoustic bass comes from Trillian

I have to say that I used "Table edit" to input the notes (note by note...) than I saved it as a midi file, loaded it on my DAW (Cubase) and refined it (velocity, length of notes, etc.). It took me two hours. But I have to say that I let my banjo on my knees and with one hand wrote the note into Table edit. Of course, I'm a banjo player and what You can hear is exactly what I play in the reality.

So, I can say Boulder sounds are really great for the banjo and the mandolin. I didn't try realitone banjo which sounds good to me (first impression). I'll buy it if You want me to compare OR if You already have it (or someone else). I can give You the midi file of the tune Ole Joe Clark. It's public domain and this example is my own version mixing three different styles: Scruggs, Reno, and melodic (like Carl Jackson or Bill Keith).

Cheers, Paul

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  3. Paul Grymaud

Here's another example. I don't remember the name of the tune but it's a rag !
    Banjo from Boulder and bass from trillian

4. Paul Grymaud

And a third example. It's my own composition called "Paul's rag".
    Banjo and bass same as above and Thin whistle from Embertone or Efimov ? I have both but I have to go and see which one I used.
    The tune is not finished yet and I'd like to ad a bodhran and eventually a fiddle

5. rrichard63

rrichard63 Perpetual Novice

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Guitar: Orange Tree Samples Flatpick 6
    Mandolin: Orange Tree Samples and Bolder Sounds
    Banjo: Bolder Sounds
    Dobro: Indiginus Resonator (Wavelore Glide is brilliant but the developer appears to have gone AWOL)

The hard one is fiddle. I'm told that old time and bluegrass fiddlers use a different bow, so it's hard to get this sound out of a violin library. I'm not aware of any libraries recorded specifically for this. The violin in EWQL Gypsy might be close, but I haven't played with it.

The easy one is probably upright bass, since the instrument and technique don't differ much from swing and jazz.

Orange Tree is said to be working on a new Dobro, which I am waiting for eagerly.

6. OP
    OP
    garyhiebner

garyhiebner Senior Member

Jan 3, 2015
    Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, I thought fiddle would be the hard one to find. Interesting to know about the bow.

I've tried programming in a bluegrass song awhile back, and gosh a lot of details goes into getting that sound if you just using standard mandolin's and Violins. Will check into these libraries and see how they sound.

7. Polkasound

Polkasound Senior Member

Bolder Sounds - Bluegrass Banjo V3
    Bolder Sounds - Pure Mandolin
    MusicLab - RealGuitar 4
    Orange Tree Samples - CoreBass Pear

I'm sorry the short clip doesn't feature much instrumentally, but you can hear the very end of the banjo solo and the mandolin backbeat chucks throughout.

The Bolder Sounds mandolin is very nice, but I wish it was sampled just a little more deeply with some "dirty" nondescript notes and slides. For the price, though, it's still a good value. The mandolin in Chris Hein Guitars seems to be quite deeply sampled.

http://www.wizardserver.de/web3/ChrisHeinExtraPages/Articulations_Mandolin.html

I think a deeply sampled bluegrass fiddle is yet to be developed. There are violins hitting the market all the time, but no fiddles. I've used the fiddle from the Kontakt Factory Library with some success.

Johann F. and higgs like this.
  8. rrichard63

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    If there is such a thing as a klemzer fiddle/violin library, that would be worth checking out.

EDIT: if you enter "Bluegrass fiddle" is the VI-Control search box, there are a number of previous threads related to this topic.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  9. AmbientMile

AmbientMile Senior Member

Oct 24, 2014
    East Texas
  10. Alohabob

Alohabob Senior Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Embertone mountain dulcimer. They may have others

11. rrichard63

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Dulcimer is a great instrument for traditional Appalachian music. And Embertone's is a great dulcimer library. And Bluegrass is derived from traditional Appalachian music. But the instrument is not used at all in Bluegrass. Unless, of course, the OP wants to expand the genre -- which is to be encouraged.

12. ghandizilla

ghandizilla Lick Furry

The most important may be how you write for your instruments. Hence this question: what is typical bluegrass writing? What kind of ornamentations and chords do you use? It would be really useful resources.

13. rrichard63

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Valid and important point. But equally true of other genres.

14. reddognoyz

reddognoyz Senior Member

SAMPLEMODELING violin can give you the dry scrapey sound you need and it can do the cliche "bent into" thirds. It's a hard instrument to emulate with the wonky tuning and squeaks, but sm may be your best bet of your willing to put in the time with it.

15. HardyP

HardyP Senior Member

Jun 30, 2013
    LDK
    Not exactly a fiddle, but coming near:
    Friedlander can also be played very fast, so check out the SC-playlist, maybe it might fit your needs.

16. rrichard63

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
  17. Polkasound

Polkasound Senior Member

I own both the Orange Tree and Bolder Sounds mandolins, although I might pick up the Indiginus one simply because I like the way it sounds in solo mode.

Bolder Sounds: Their mandolin's greatest feature is sampled chops and ghost notes. No amount of scripted strumming can replace a true mandolin chop, so the Bolder Sounds mandolin is a must for Bluegrass rhythm. Compared to the other mandolins, it doesn't offer much in the way of articulations, nor does it give you desirable options like random misfrets and playing noises.

Indiginus: The Indiginus mandolin, based solely on the video and audio samples, sounds great in solo mode. It has much needed articulations and performance noises, but since the articulations have their own volume control, I have to think there may be just one sampled dynamic layer. I personally don't care for the sound of this mandolin in strum mode -- it's a little too mechanical and clicky for my taste.

Orange Tree: Their mandolin also offers much needed articulations (you can even slide down the fret board), random misfrets, noises, etc. and the powerful strumming engine is well suited for many different types of music.

All three mandolins are great, but none are perfect. The perfect mandolin would have the sound and interface of the Indiginus mandolin, the power and flexibility of the Orange Tree mandolin, and the sampled chops of the Bolder Sounds mandolin.

rrichard63 likes this.
  18. Paul Grymaud

You're absolutely right !

rrichard63 likes this.
  19. rrichard63

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thank you! This is an extremely helpful post.

20. Twrogstudio

Twrogstudio Senior Member

Aug 5, 2016
    I just bought The Indiginus mandolin. Love it! Highly recommended!