What's new

Blood Pressure

Marc, you and I, being friendly, could discuss this more privately, but I think it’s important enough to put it out there.

Clarity-at almost 65, I try to average 4-5 miles a day of fairly strenuous walking-huffing and puffing up steep hills and inclines. I see my doctor (s) regularly for various maladies. I take medications (too many). Still, sometimes I’ll have fries or chips. I’m addicted to popcorn but keep it in check and try to eat the healthiest kind. I have an occasional dessert.

I like Irish whiskey and martinis. I’m not the alcoholic I once was but I still drink too much. In general, I try not to go overboard but try not to deny myself that much either. Middle of the road really-“fuck it...kinda.”

Sorry for the late reply, but yes it's an important topic! I didn't learn about health and that choices=consequences until I was well into adulthood, so I have tried to raise my kids' awareness about that as much as I could.

In terms of saying 'fuck it'... you don't sound so far off the rails, Larry! And if your numbers are good, who cares? My biggest 'number' concerns are blood pressure and cholesterol - those have given me trouble in the past. More recently, I learned I had low thyroid hormone, so now I take a pill for that. It helps with mental clarity and sluggish metabolism.

Anyway, I have learned the reason people talk more about health as they age is because shit starts to break! :grin:

That alone won't do it. On average, reducing salt intake only reduces blood pressure by about 6 - 7 mm Hg.

It needs to be a comprehensive plan that includes more fruits and veggies, less meat, less processed food, little to no alcohol, exercise, and of course no smoking and drugs.
Less "meat" (I assume you mean beef?) and less "processed food" (depending how you define it) is a good idea in general, but not likely to decrease blood pressure.

If someone goes this way, pls know the consequences. I hate it when patients harm their bodies and expect docs to fix it with meds.
Recebtly I gave this advise: Do what you want but know the consequences and accept them. You smoke ? K, but dont cry when cancer gets you. Also keep in mind your health is not onlh concerning yourself. Treating lung cancer e.g. costs more than all the cigarette taxes a smoker paid his whole life. Not to speak about time spent for them...
....and these are the people who typically cry when their health care isn't free. Ditto people who stuff their faces with soda and fast food a lot. (etc)

Less "meat" (I assume you mean beef?) and less "processed food" (depending how you define it) is a good idea in general, but not likely to decrease blood pressure.

....and these are the people who typically cry when their health care isn't free. Ditto people who stuff their faces with soda and fast food a lot. (etc)

You know who I hate? Those people with Type 1 diabetes...you know, childhood diabetes. Whiners. And those kids with leukemia! Their parents should be sold into slavery to pay hospitals back!

Whiners, whiners, whiners.

Btw, why is EVERY FUCKING THING political these days??

Actually, processed food in general has high sodium content, which is considered a contributor to high blood pressure. So its usually best to cut back if high blood pressure is a problem.

And? Even my thin mother eventually had high blood pressure in her late 70's/80's. I was told as you age, the arterial walls get thinner or something.

Actually, processed food in general has high sodium content, which is considered a contributor to high blood pressure. So its usually best to cut back if high blood pressure is a problem.

And? Even my thin mother eventually had high blood pressure in her late 70's/80's. I was told as you age, the arterial walls get thinner or something.
not thinner. Harder. The thing with bad nutrition is, you font have to be fat. You can have screwed up cholesterine and be perfectly thin.

not thinner. Harder. The thing with bad nutrition is, you font have to be fat. You can have screwed up cholesterine and be perfectly thin.
She never had cholesterol problems that I knew of and ate fairly healthy, except her glass of wine or two a night. She just didn't survive that third bout of cancer.

Just a little advice I would like to throw in from my Tai-Chi master:
Take care about your best friend. He is the only one who is there for you your whole life. When not mother or girlfriend is there, he always takes care of you. But if you dont care about him at all he is getting tired someday.

I dont do this enough (still, sigh....), but I think it is really the only Point of view you have to take in account to get thins done much healthier: would you REALLY do this to your best friend ?

It is one of this easy things (like the book from Mother Theresa called "The easy way") that is so hard to do, but that dont change the core of it: it IS an easy way, you dont need anything for it apart of some attentiveness.

I say "fuck it" still far to many times but at least begin to realize (the next morning for example :) ): do I feel better now ? Did I really need this ?

I am 56 now and still want to try to get rid of my blood pressure medicaments. Last time it took me only 2 years, this time it will be harder of course. But its ME and no one else just disregarding his best friend still too many times....

Again, define "processed food." Most of the food you buy is processed in some way or other. If you simply mean those frozen meals, yes, many of them (but not all) are high in salt, and fat, and sugar. ugh. But some of them aren't. It's all in reading the labels.

She never had cholesterol problems that I knew of and ate fairly healthy, except her glass of wine or two a night. She just didn't survive that third bout of cancer.
? "Except?" A glass or 2 of wine a night is healthy. Or so the experts say. They will probably change their minds in a year or 3.

I see what you are saying and when you get down to it every food is processed in some way. Even things like fresh tomatoes. They've altered the plants so they grow consistent products because that what people want to see. And they lose a lot of flavor and vitamins doing it.

But generally when saying processed foods, I think of lunch meats, heat and eat meals, and things like that. Though I suppose there are healthy options, they still aren't better than making it from scratch.

The "bad" processed foods are things like crackers, chips, pizza, baked goods, basically any food that comes in a package that you can buy in the middle isles of your grocery store. You'd be surprised how much sodium is in these foods. Even certain breakfast cereals marketed as healthy are loaded with sodium.

Meat -- including beef, chicken, pig, turkey etc. is loaded with saturated fat and cholesterol. If you eat it for lunch and dinner every day it will eventually clog your arteries. Clogged arteries will raise your blood pressure.

The "bad" processed foods are things like crackers, chips, pizza, baked goods, basically any food that comes in a package that you can buy in the middle isles of your grocery store.
Sorry, not true. Or at least a huge oversimplification. Crackers for example vary a great deal in nutrition, including sodium content. They are not inherently "bad" by any means. In fact numerous brands of crackers have a low sodium option. And labeling bad "any food that comes in a package that you can buy in the middle isles of your grocery store" is absurd. Again, one needs to read the labels vs painting things with a broad brushstroke.

Meat -- including beef, chicken, pig, turkey etc. is loaded with saturated fat and cholesterol. If you eat it for lunch and dinner every day it will eventually clog your arteries.
This is also incorrect or at least a serious oversimplification. Chicken and turkey in particular are quite lean and as for beef there's a huge difference between a fast food burger and a lean cut of steak. As with anything, it's a question of how much you eat and how you prepare it. A good diet is about balance, moderation, and common sense.

From now on, please submit all health and nutrition questions to bill5. He knows more about the subject than any dietician or doctor. If you know anything about health and wellness, you are wrong, and he is right.

And here's another tip kids -- smoking is not bad, it's just about balance, moderation, and common sense.

Marc, you and I, being friendly, could discuss this more privately, but I think it’s important enough to put it out there.

Clarity-at almost 65, I try to average 4-5 miles a day of fairly strenuous walking-huffing and puffing up steep hills and inclines. I see my doctor (s) regularly for various maladies. I take medications (too many). Still, sometimes I’ll have fries or chips. I’m addicted to popcorn but keep it in check and try to eat the healthiest kind. I have an occasional dessert.

I like Irish whiskey and martinis. I’m not the alcoholic I once was but I still drink too much. In general, I try not to go overboard but try not to deny myself that much either. Middle of the road really-“fuck it...kinda.”

Well, I f*ckin' love ya, so you'd best be on good form to hear me whine about romantic woes on my next visit.

From now on, please submit all health and nutrition questions to bill5. He knows more about the subject than any dietician or doctor. If you know anything about health and wellness, you are wrong, and he is right.

And here's another tip kids -- smoking is not bad, it's just about balance, moderation, and common sense.

From this thread, I get the impression that bill5 just wants to argue. If he is going to put that much energy into defending crackers, he must have an axe to grind.

So instead of owning up to making a mistake or backing your inaccurate "facts," you instead decide to have a hissy and make childish snide comments. Speaks for itself.

Excuse the hell out of me for pointing out that what you posted was wrong, but given the importance of the information, I felt it was merited. Perhaps you should actually get a clue before posting incorrect information. Let me guess, you're into homeopathy too :rolleyes:

Given your track record, I'm hardly surprised you posted that either.

From this thread, I get the impression that bill5 just wants to argue. If he is going to put that much energy into defending crackers, he must have an axe to grind.
Yeah that must be it. It couldn't be that what I said is simply correct and I think posting false health and nutrition information on the net is irresponsible and should be called out and corrected, since someone might be naive or foolish enough to believe that false information and it could be detrimental to their health.

I'm also hardly surprised that neither of you have anything to back up such silly claims as "crackers are bad" or "meat is bad." Good ol ad hominems.

Top Bottom