What's new

Blood Pressure

Studio E

Eric Watkins
Also recommended for better blood pressure; Not engaging in online arguments.

Here in America, I can speak for what I see. When I am out in public, over half of us are grossly overweight and most just seem to accept it. When I go to the grocery store, and look at the total shit people buy to feed themselves, it’s no wonder.

I have been mostly healthy but developed A-fib at an early age. That scared me into (for the most part) staying in shape. I managed to quit smoking around 30 and have had an on again off again relationship with exercise.

Now at 50, I’ve joined a running club and hike regularly as well as doing resistance training. I make a smoothie if fruits, vegetables, and vegan protein every day to start the day. I don’t eat almost anything that comes in a box. At the very least, foods like that are kept to a minimum.

Slow but steady and small changes over time can make a big difference. The big ones are don’t smoke, limit processed foods in general, and get good, regular exercise. If you need the meds, by all means take them, at least until your lifestyle can take over if ever.

It’s really not that hard to make incremental change and turn it into habit. Then just up the bar again and again. Your body will thank you.

marclawsonmusic

Yeah that must be it. It couldn't be that what I said is simply correct and I think posting false health and nutrition information on the net is irresponsible and should be called out and corrected, since someone might be naive or foolish enough to believe that false information and it could be detrimental to their health.

I'm also hardly surprised that neither of you have anything to back up such silly claims as "crackers are bad" or "meat is bad." Good ol ad hominems.
Hi Bill! I didn’t come here to argue with you.

I just wanted to give my perspective as someone who struggled with blood pressure in the past and eventually overcame it. Most of my blood pressure issues were due to my poor life choices and I think the advice offered here isn’t so bad!

Avoiding processed foods and red meats is a great prescription for good blood pressure and health! If you want evidence, speak to the people in the Mediterranean regions where they avoid these things and live long happy lives.

Cheers and best wishes. For our health!
Marc

WaveRider

what I said is simply correct and I think posting false health and nutrition information on the net is irresponsible and should be called out and corrected, since someone might be naive or foolish enough to believe that false information and it could be detrimental to their health.
Yeah just imagine if someone took my advice and stopped eating crackers and meat. I'm sure the consequences would have been dire, if not life threatening.

Btw, if anyone's interested, a great read is Dean Ornish's "Reversing Heart Disease"

I tried it for a year and it worked -- my blood pressure and cholesterol reduced significantly. Even if you don't have heart disease, it's a good preventative measure.

Wolfie2112

Avoiding processed foods and red meats is a great prescription for good blood pressure and health!
You got that right, I also know this from experience. North Americans have a terrible selection of "food". Its simple...cut out processed foods, eat lean meat, and anything that has added sodium. Works like a charm! I lost 40lbs and got my blood pressure down to where it's supposed to be. Took a few months, but it actually works.

dzilizzi

I know nothing
Sugar/sweeteners are also something to try to stay away from that are in a lot of things. Don't know if it affects blood pressure so much as triglycerides, which affects your overall cholesterol levels. It gets hidden in a lot of foods.

Bill5 is right about one thing, reading labels is important if you are concerned about your health. I realize most food is processed in some way before we get it in our markets, but most of us understand what is meant by "processed foods being not good for you" doesn't include the fact that your chicken comes cut up and packaged on a tray. Otherwise boneless/skinless chicken breasts would be bad for your diet, not the usual recommended food for getting healthier.

michelsimons

Bill5 is right about one thing, reading labels is important if you are concerned about your health. I realize most food is processed in some way before we get it in our markets, but most of us understand what is meant by "processed foods being not good for you" doesn't include the fact that your chicken comes cut up and packaged on a tray. Otherwise boneless/skinless chicken breasts would be bad for your diet, not the usual recommended food for getting healthier.
And not engaging in online arguments, as Eric said, helps as well. Or in general avoiding stress-inducing "activities" as much as possible (which, of course, is easier said than done).

Wolfie2112

Sugar/sweeteners are also something to try to stay away from that are in a lot of things.
That is actually scary. Not sure they still list it as such, but Kraft salad dressings (to name one company) add propylene glycol for both a sweetener and preservative.

dzilizzi

I know nothing
That is actually scary. Not sure they still list it as such, but Kraft salad dressings (to name one company) add propylene glycol for both a sweetener and preservative.
The FDA lists small amounts of propylene glycol as generally safe for consumption. It is in a lot of flavors as well. It shouldn't be confused with ethylene glycol which is not safe to ingest. And? We eat a lot of chemicals we don't know we are eating. I think in the long run we will either be very well preserved or dead from strange diseases that suddenly start showing up.

NYC Composer

My kid was addicted to that Diet Mountain Dew crap which had brominated oil in it, also used as a flame retardant for plastics. I pestered him until he stopped (he was 24, it wasn’t easy.)

Top Bottom