Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'OFF-TOPICS - General Musings' started by puremusic, Apr 3, 2019.

1. puremusic

puremusic Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Anyone here on blood pressure medication?

Curious how folks are handling it, side effects wise, as I've just been put on it last month.

Next I'm supposed to go on Lipitor. Thrilling! :D

2. Dr.Quest

Dr.Quest Senior Member

I was on lisinopril for many years and it worked great till I developed an allergy to it. Took a few tries to find another that worked. No real problems and I've used them for a long time. Keeps me in a good range. I have had no problem with Lipotor. My Cholesterol is now in ideal range although of course exercise and diet helps that as well.

puremusic likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    puremusic

puremusic Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Doctor put me on Toprol XL, probably going to be changing medications tomorrow, after a trip to the ER today for an EKG and chest x-rays due to chest pains and muscle spasms. Not listed in the side effects as far as I can tell, most people seem fine with it as it's very popular, but it didn't work out for me. Great muscle relaxant though, I was even wondering if my piano playing would improve, but them's the breaks.

Great aunt of mine went on Lipitor, had muscle pains, and went off it, as far as I know still is on nothing at all, and rather healthy for a lady in her 90s.

I am going to have to work hard on improving my diet and exercise, though the doc didn't think it'd help the cholesterol enough unless I was "eating 6 eggs every day".

4. michelsimons

michelsimons Active Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Delft
    I am also on lisinopril for two years now. The only real side effects I had (until now) were dry coughs. But that was mainly in the beginning. Last year was also an eye-opener when it comes to the effect of stress on blood pressure. I hadn't expected it to be that big.

puremusic likes this.
  5. WaveRider

WaveRider Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Was diagnosed last year and put on Olmestartan. No side effects at all. To improve things, I also stopped eating meat (except fish), limited alcohol and exercise regularly. I had to reduce the dose to half a pill because blood pressure was getting too low. I may be able to stop the drug altogether. Healthy lifestyle seems to be the key.

Studio E, MartinH. and Polkasound like this.
  6. bill5

bill5 Active Member

Oct 18, 2018
    I was on metoprolol for about a year after a heart attack. No symptoms, at least none directly attributable to the drug. Also on a statin and clopodogril.

7. Divico

Divico Senior Member

interesting that the coughing stopped. Normally the cough is why this group of meds has to be changed to e.g. Sartans.

8. michelsimons

michelsimons Active Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Delft
    I have to admit that I never mentioned it to my doctor, because it was the least of all the side effects listed.

9. kgdrum

kgdrum Senior Member

Apr 11, 2005
    @ the OP IMO you should be THRILLED! your doctor is trying to keep you healthy and alive.

Years ago people walked around not even aware they had high blood pressure,cholesterol problems etc....no meds etc......

As others have mentioned dietary changes and exercise are important as well.

I have no side effects from the meds I take presently,a previous hbp med I used to take me thirsty all of the time.

I've been a Lisinopril user for several years,it works well(bp is always 120/80) If you are in the USA generic meds via Walmart are very cheap ,I get Lisinopril: 90 days for $10.

I also take Atorvastatin for cholesterol which also works well it's a bit more costly but still reasonably priced.

My brother is a cardiologist he clued me in about Walmart.
    Go online print up their available meds w/ prices bring to your Doctor & see what he recommends,it’s saved me a ton of $$$ :)

https://www.walmart.com/cp/$4-prescriptions/1078664

Good Luck

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  10. rollasoc

rollasoc Member

Sep 6, 2018
    Ask me next week, about to go on some, even though my blood pressure is fine....

11. MrLinssi

MrLinssi A glorified bedroom musician.

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    Not yet, but looking at the medical history on both sides of my family (high blood pressure, heart diseases, all the good stuff) I will probably answer "yes" in a few years. Fast forward about three decades and I'll probably kick the bucket... :D

12. Shredoverdrive

Shredoverdrive Active Member

Feb 7, 2018
    I'm both on Amlodipine and Hydrochlorothiazide (these are the molecules names as meds have different names in different countries). Quite satisfied with them although the Hydrochlorothiazide makes you pee like you're a the pub.

MartinH. likes this.
  13. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    That's probably the first time I see something medical being cheaper in the US than in Germany. And by a huge margin too!

14. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    UK
    I await an appointment with the doctor and a decision on meds.
    I've cut out booze, caffeine and all the other fun stuff. Can't do much about the "composer life" though..

15. Synetos

Synetos Gear Addict

Feb 1, 2016
    I have been on them for years. They all tend to mess with my voice. Depending on the cause of your elevated BP, you might get by for a while longer without meds if you can just cut back on salt, and maybe increase your potassium intake. If you like V8 juice, the low sodium version has lots of potassium in it.

16. marclawsonmusic

marclawsonmusic Senior Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    I was on BP medicine for about 4 months in 2011. My BP was 140/100 at a doctor visit. I had gained a lot of weight (was 210 lbs on a 6'0" frame), was drinking too much, and wasn't exercising.

My grandmother was crippled due to a stroke, so at 36 years old, this was a wake up call for me. I decided to make some changes and lost 40 pounds, moderated my drinking and started an exercise routine. My blood pressure went down and I was able to discontinue the drugs.

Don't underestimate the impact of diet and exercise on this problem. We are lucky to have drugs, but for every pound (or kg) you lose, you will reduce BP by 1 point -> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3070038

Good luck

WaveRider likes this.
  17. novicecomposer

novicecomposer Member

Apr 15, 2014
  18. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    My blood pressure is on the low-ish side, at least when a dr. checks it. I never bought a thing to check myself more regularly, maybe I should.
    Is there anything I can do to raise it other than to get fat? Ideally I'd want to lose weight, not gain more. Also I already consume above average amounts of salt, but I vaguely remember reading a study about salt not even affecting blood pressure for everyone the same way, so I might be immune to that effect, I don't know.

19. Divico

Divico Senior Member

Why do you want to raise it?"

20. marclawsonmusic

marclawsonmusic Senior Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    Good question and honestly, I have no idea. Maybe your doctor can offer a suggestion.

I heard from a doctor once that our health is 1/3 genes, 1/3 choices and 1/3 luck. I can't control 2/3 of that equation, so I do my best to manage the 1/3 that is in my control.

MartinH. likes this.