1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blockchain tech a solution for copy protection

Discussion in 'KONTAKT: Sampling, Programming & Scripting' started by gsilbers, Feb 9, 2018.

1. gsilbers

gsilbers Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com

2. TGV

TGV Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't think so. A blockchain is just a distributed administration. The one problem it can solve is dependence on a single server. But a good hacker will just as easily remove a blockchain dependency as a dependency on e.g. iLok.

3. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires Senior Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    Let the software companies worry about all of that.

I am a composer. I only care about how the software will make my life easier, not protecting the intellectual property of a company. They hire people to do that kind of thing. People care too much about how restrictive a company can be with some sounds. We don't work for NI or these other companies. We buy a product and use it.

Why in the world do composers worry so much about that? It confuses the hell out of me.

4. tcollins

tcollins Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Orlando
    Do you care about protecting the intellectual property of composers? We're all in this together.

5. averystemmler

averystemmler Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Some of us composers are also fascinated by advancements in technology outside of our immediate composery goals - and the blockchain is a hot topic right now (sort of). Further, I appreciate threads like this, musing on what the future of this-or-that aspect of the industry is going to be. It helps to give me perspective on my place in it.

Many members of the "software companies" you mention also use this website as a forum for discussion. Not everyone here makes their living as a composer.

6. Lindon

Lindon KSP Developer

Jul 27, 2010
    Republic of Yorkshire
    See the title of this sub-forum?

This is where the programmers hang out.

7. gamma-ut

gamma-ut Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    I can't see how blockchain would provide anything that's better or more efficient than traditional mechanisms. Blockchain is good for controlling transactions - not what happens after the transaction has completed (as shown by numerous thefts from coin exchanges or coin exchange owners simply making off with the 'money').

Desire Inspires likes this.
  8. polypx

polypx Complete Idiot

Jan 7, 2007
  9. Fugdup

Fugdup Senior Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    You should do an ICO!

*Throws money at screen*