What's new

Black Friday at Evenant Online Courses

Walid F.

Evenant Black Friday sale! Starting Thursday, Nov 24th and ending on the 29th.

We are having the biggest sale of the year for our online music courses! Our courses will be 30% off their original price from 24/11 - 29/11.

The courses we offer at the moment are:
  • https://34.gs/trailermusic (The Aspiring Trailer Music Composer) - A Complete Introduction To The Art Of Creating Music For Hollywood Trailers
  • https://34.gs/musicbasics (The Basics Of Modern Music Production) - A Full Beginner's Walkthrough To Creating Music On Your Computer
  • Introducing a new course: https://34.gs/musiclicensing (The Business Of Music Licensing) - Generating Revenue Through Your Music, An Online Course By Emmett Cooke

Use the code BLACKFRIDAY on checkout for the 30% discount!

Don't miss out on this big deal, guys! Stay tuned for more courses.

Have a great weekend!
W.

Just a quick question, has the content in The Business Of Music Licensing course been updated as things will have moved on a bit since 2013?

Definitely. We are talking with industry professionals who share their thoughts and tips on music licensing, collect them and deposit them in the course in an easy-to-read way. We also add more content as we go, together with the creator Emmett Cooke, and really make sure it can be a very handy and useful course for learning about music licensing and what to do to get by in that world.

It is like this for all our courses. We will never stop updating them, providing new lectures, walkthroughs, tips and tricks from industry pros, etc. You pay a one-time price to be part of it, and we keep sending update emails so you can check out anything that we update the courses with, since we are collecting all the feedback, critique and suggestions and creating content based on that.

Best,
Walid

I am trying to enroll, sent an email about this. I am VAT registered and normally when buying from outside the UK its zero rated as we have to self account for it. The only exception is where a company has a UK office (like Native Instruments) and has a UK VAT number and issues a full tax receipt.

It seems to be adding 20% tax which is in line with the UK, but I need to make sure we would receive an invoice with a UK VAT number on it otherwise we cannot reclaim it.

But there is no info on the site about billing and tax.

The Blackfriday discount code seems only to work with the payment at once option and is not possible when you want to split the amount...

I am trying to enroll, sent an email about this. I am VAT registered and normally when buying from outside the UK its zero rated as we have to self account for it. The only exception is where a company has a UK office (like Native Instruments) and has a UK VAT number and issues a full tax receipt.

It seems to be adding 20% tax which is in line with the UK, but I need to make sure we would receive an invoice with a UK VAT number on it otherwise we cannot reclaim it.

I'm in the same boat. There's usually a way to put our VAT number in at checkout. Businesses outside UK/EU are liable to charge VAT to EU consumers https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...pplying-digital-services-to-private-consumers but not businesses.

Yes I know, I have been caught out a few times getting charged foreign tax I cannot reclaim. Its strange that they have a system thats intelligent enough to charge the tax at the local rate, but no way to enter a valid tax number.

A word of caution to anyone buying through a business.

I made the mistake of purchasing with tax included as it seemed to display in PayPal without tax. However I should not be charged tax if I have a valid UK VAT reference.

I followed the link on the PayPal receipt and they are using a 3rd party course system which seems to have an automated tax system that charges tax at your country's rate regardless.

They do not currently have a feature to collect VAT numbers.

Hopefully the have a manual system to deal with this as I am not happy about being charged tax incorrectly. Luckily its the Licensing course so the tax amount is not too much, but I won't be signing up for the Trailer course until its resolved as it puts the cost up another $20.

Anyone else please note this as the tax only shows up prior to paying, the advertised prices do not state "plus tax".

Hi! I answered your e-mail. I can reply here as well:

Some companies do provide a VAT exemption field for European-registered companies, and I believe that is great. However, the payments system provider we use does not have this implemented.

I have talked to them and we are in discussions on adding this in, so our EU students don't need to pay the VAT on the site, if they are VAT registered in Europe.

Moreover, if you pay VAT right now, you should always bring that up in your tax declaration. If you have paid VAT but not received any for any services you do, then you will get that VAT back. It's all a balance. Meaning it doesn't matter if you pay VAT or not – you always get it back.

We are trying our best to implement the VAT exemption field as soon as possible to avoid any misunderstanding, as we do not handle any of the VAT paid through us.

I hope that helps.

If you are a VAT registered company in Europe, there should be a perfectly good way to reclaim it through declaring all your VAT payments (both to and from you) throughout the year. But again, I am trying to get the VAT exemption field implemented.

Thanks!

Best,
Walid

If you are a VAT registered company in Europe, there should be a perfectly good way to reclaim it through declaring all your VAT payments (both to and from you) throughout the year. But again, I am trying to get the VAT exemption field implemented.

Thanks!

Best,
Walid

Hi Walid. It's not quite that simple.

EU businesses do not charge each other VAT. We operate under a "reverse charge" scheme where exports to other EU state VAT registered businesses are zero rated. The importing business applies and then reclaims the VAT notionally at their home country rate. These figures are reported to the Govt on an "EC sales declaration" each quarter.

I stand to be corrected (that's why I have an accountant :)) but this is my understanding:

If your payment provider is based in the UK, all they have to do, in order to charge VAT to a UK business, is supply a valid UK VAT number. Then a VAT registered UK business can reclaim that VAT as input tax.

If your payment provider is based in the EU then they should not be charging VAT to another EU VAT registered business outside their home country. Period. They should zero rate the export and supply their EU VAT number so the "reverse charge" scheme can be applied. A UK business cannot legally reclaim VAT incorrectly charged by another EU business because this is not a proper "reverse charge" sale and therefore cannot be declared on the EC Sales list.

If your payment provider is outside the EU then VAT is only charged when selling digital services to Consumers. VAT does not apply on sales to EU businesses (pretty sure it's all businesses, VAT registered or not). This is a new "digital" law that came in a year or so ago linked in my post above.

Whole thing is a minefield, especially with digital services. Governments are trying to squeeze as much money as they can out of this new Global digital economy! But the bottom line is, if your payment service provider is located in the EU they must not charge VAT to other EU VAT registered businesses.

It's not quite that simple.

Is this only for UK?

In Sweden, we need to balance out anything we pay and receive, with all other European countries. We don't always need to invoke reverse tax, at least not what I've understood when I'm doing my taxes for any company issues.

At any rate, I will contact our payment system provider and see what I can do in this issue. A VAT exemption field would obviously be the prime deal.

Thanks for your insight, guys.

Best,
Walid

Meanwhile... Our black friday sale is still going on!

Tomorrow, Tuesday the 29th Nov, the offer for 30% off is gone. Be sure to take advantage while you can! Buying now will guarantee access for lifetime updates, meaning extra videos, insights, tips and tricks, and more.

Here are the three courses available:
  • https://34.gs/trailermusic (The Aspiring Trailer Music Composer) - A Complete Introduction To The Art Of Creating Music For Hollywood Trailers
  • https://34.gs/musicbasics (The Basics Of Modern Music Production) - A Full Beginner's Walkthrough To Creating Music On Your Computer
  • https://34.gs/musiclicensing (The Business Of Music Licensing) - Generating Revenue Through Your Music, An Online Course By Emmett Cooke
See you there!

Best,
W.

Is this only for UK?

In Sweden, we need to balance out anything we pay and receive, with all other European countries. We don't always need to invoke reverse tax, at least not what I've understood when I'm doing my taxes for any company issues.

At any rate, I will contact our payment system provider and see what I can do in this issue. A VAT exemption field would obviously be the prime deal.

Thanks for your insight, guys.

Best,
Walid

I actually did some reading up on that link and in your instance there should not be tax charged AT ALL. See the paragraph here https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...te-consumers#sales-not-affected-by-the-change

Sales Not Affected By This Change
  • educational or professional courses, where the content is delivered by a teacher over the internet or an electronic network (in other words, using a remote link)
In any event as I emailed you, a US based company should never charge businesses VAT only consumers. An EU based company should only charge consumers or non VAT registered businesses VAT.

I believe Teachable the platform you use need to re-read the rules as the have misinterpreted them incorrectly. At the very least you should have a manual overide to refund business customers after the transaction. All you are required to do is display the customer's VAT number on the invoice you issue.

This is exactly the kind of thing that prompted the UK to vote Brexit, its these kinds of convoluted centralised dictums on life, business and politics that make no sense that started the debate, not the smokescreen of immigration.

It a sledgehammer approach to tackle the likes of Amazon and Facebook for their tax evasion which ultimately hits small businesses the hardest trying to account and collect VAT

... rant over

@Walid F. Not to take anything away from the current offer, but you mentioned there would be additional offers on other courses (Cinematic Music for example) on Cyber Monday. Any news on that?

About VAT

Hi again!

I have contacted them, and we are trying to solve this out. I will update with the information you have provided me. It really is a jungle with this VAT and taxing overall. Thank you for having patience with me – will try my best to fix this now and for the future.

@Walid F. Not to take anything away from the current offer, but you mentioned there would be additional offers on other courses (Cinematic Music for example) on Cyber Monday. Any news on that?

Yes, that was our initial plan, but we decided to give it a little bit more time to really make the course shine. Preliminary (and very probable) date of public release of the Cinematic Music course is 15th Dec. It will have an introductory price, and will continue throughout the year until the 1st of January. So stay tuned for that!

Thanks.

Best,
W.

I would jump on these immediately if they were mainly video courses with multiple walkthroughs or tutorials and just having the text lessons and info slimmed down for reading reference purposes. I didn't realize they are mostly text reading courses. I may still try one just to see how it goes.

I'm interrested in both the trailer and the music production courses but I have to decide which one I want to do because I don't have enough time to do both. Some of the basics in the music production aren't that relevant for me apart from the composing and the mixing sections. But these two sections would be worth the price for me because I still have problems with mixing. It seems that the trailer course deals more about stylistical and musical aspects while the music production course is more about technical aspects, is this correct?

Top Bottom