What's new

Big Spitfire Purchase Feedback

Wow, so many things to reply to! I won't be able to directly reply to everyone, but I have read over everything. Thanks again everyone for contributing your thoughts, I really appreciate it!

The four main themes across what has been shared seem to be:
  1. Slow down and don't buy so much at once
  2. Build collection over time based on needs and a better understanding of them
  3. I could save a pretty big amount of cash by waiting until sales
  4. There's an immense amount of really great libraries and personal preference is a major factor (hence point 2)
Other notes:
  • I'm not married to Spitfire, but its what I know from the past and been pretty happy with it in my limited experience with some of their stuff from years ago. OT's woods and brass are super interesting and from what I've seen sound simply incredible, and the workflow of CSS seems superior to Spitfire products in certain areas with the trade off of fewer articulations, etc.
  • HZS seems strongly liked and disliked for seemingly similar reasons, which I think goes back to point 4 above.
  • It sounds like the main weakness of OT's products (memory usage) will be fixed soon with a new player (I assume no longer being capsule) with new ways of purchasing them.
  • There's been so many really great libraries mentioned above that I need to research. Thanks again for listing all these! I will definitely be returning to the posts above quite a bit for the next while.
  • My rigs are beefy and can be linked if needed/or just build a new one should it be insufficient. :)
Conclusion:

I am going to not buy all of these libraries at once, but rather get a feeling for some initial ones and build my library over time. I imagine this will happen in 2-3 step functions over the next 5-6 months, mainly dictated by sales. I'll still be drowning in libraries, but at least they'll be bought with more intention and at a slightly more manageable pace. In the meantime, I'll stick to Komplete 12U and subscribe the EW Composer Cloud which will still be a silly amount of content. I think that'll give me a good amount of time to get back into the swing of things as well, which will certainly influence my selection of libraries.

Let me know if you think I missed anything, got anything wrong, or have additional feedback!

Once more, thanks everyone! :)
Sounds sensible - like an orchestra-in-a-box straightaway sounds perfect, but using VIs is rarely quite like that in practice - enjoy the process :)

In the meantime, I'll stick to Komplete 12U and subscribe the EW Composer Cloud which will still be a silly amount of content. I think that'll give me a good amount of time to get back into the swing of things as well, which will certainly influence my selection of libraries.
I started out with EW libraries before they offered the cloud and I still use Hollywood Brass all the time. It’s a great place to start for sure, especially with K12U. Look into NI’s Reaktor Community for a ton of free Reaktor synths.

JT

If you end up purchasing now, don't forget that the Spitfire Orchestra collection will save you about 25% compared to buying the sections individually. But you will save more if you wait for their sales.

ProfoundSilence

One of the few A listers who is willing to show us his non-private libraries.

not that using the same libraries will make you successful - but still, he does explain what he uses, when he uses it, and what he doesn't use it for.

But then again, I see a good amount of A listers using a lot of OT - but have behemoth machines with like 512+ gb ram and xeon processors.

I know I've got an 8 core i7 and 128gb of ram and I wish I had more ram :)

Top Bottom