Big Fat Analog Drones preview

Discussion in 'Sound Design and SFX' started by Fredeke, May 11, 2019.

1. Fredeke

Fredeke Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Belgium
    Hi. This is my first sample collection. Any feedback welcome.

I especially wonder: upon seeing / hearing this promo material,
    1. do you have an idea of what you'd be getting ?
    2. does it make you want to get it ?

Also, any distributor to recommend ?

THE VIDEO : not on Youtube yet, because I might still want to tweak it after getting feedback. But you can watch it at my beta website: http://www.2496ad.com . It's at the top of the page.

THE AUDIO :

THE BLAH :
    (from my website - still 2496ad.com)

A collection of 80 humongous drones: both plain and sparky like no digital sound can ever hope to be, they fill up the spectrum from the deepest rumble to the crispiest crackle.

Whether you lay them down to build ambiences and soundscapes, or cut them up to create your own sound effects, hairs will stand at the litteral sound of electricity !

They were generated from a big modular synthesizer featuring lots of waveshapers, plus classic analog synthesizers like the Korg MS-20 or the Moog Sub37, as well as the more exotic Murom Aelita – a vintage Soviet synth built (and sounding) like a tank. A few acoustic sources were thrown in for even more ruggedness, depth and variety.

Analog processing involve the Moogerfooger Phaser, different versions of the Aphex Aural Exciter and Big Bottom Expander, and the Thermionic Culture Vulture – an incredibly fat tube disto. Digital reverbs, served in separate files, include the hardware Lexicon PCM91 and Strymon Big Sky. Little equalization was done, to retain the full roughness of the original sounds, and leaving you all liberty to EQ them at your leasure and fit them into any mix.

All which were loopable in nature (that is most of them) are looped perfectly, and most are several minutes long already.

They are sampled at 96KHz, so slowing them down up to an octave won't compromise their brightness (except for the ones devoid of significant HF content: those are at 48KHz). All come in 24 bits.

Format: WAV
    Size: 50 Gb

Yeah I know it's commercial talk, but isn't that the point? Plus, it's all true ;)

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    givemenoughrope likes this.
  2. ghobii

ghobii Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    1. A bunch of samples
    2. Yes
    I rarely use loops in my music, as I enjoy the sound design process. But these are pretty fabulous. Just the reason I'm starting to explore modular myself.

I felt like the video could have been shorter. Cut the samples shorter, and showcase more variation, keeping it in the 2-3 minute range.

Fredeke likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Fredeke

Fredeke Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Belgium
    Btw... I think these might interest movie sound editors more than musicians, or just as much.
    Does anyone have a stock SFX website to recommend ?

(This should have been the thread's title... darn.)