What's new

Big Bang Orchestra: Fornax

Ben

VSL
This is not our last library in this Series: Big Bang Orchestra Fornax is here!

5 exceptional sets of pianos and pitched percussions are waiting for you for the introductory price of just 65€ (regular: 95€):
We recorded our three pianos, a Yamaha CFX, a Steinway D-274, and a Bösendorfer Imperial, in combination with plate bells, gongs, pitched and unpitched drums and more to creatre a wide range of sounds from mysterious to epic.

5 exceptional sets of pianos and pitched percussions are waiting for you for the introductory price of just 65€ (regular: 95€):
We recorded our three pianos, a Yamaha CFX, a Steinway D-274, and a Bösendorfer Imperial, in combination with plate bells, gongs, pitched and unpitched drums and more to creatre a wide range of sounds from mysterious to epic.

The main problem with Fornax is even f the pianos are turned way up and the drums turned off, you cannot get the drum volume remotely low enough for my tastes.

The main problem with Fornax is even f the pianos are turned way up and the drums turned off, you cannot get the drum volume remotely low enough for my tastes.
It's not a piano library, but a pitched percussion library with an unusual percussion set ;)

It's not a piano library, but a pitched percussion library with an unusual percussion set ;)
I understand, Ben, but I would still like to turn the drum volumes lower when playing piano notes. I’m not saying turn the drums off completely, but the piano is a percussion instrument too and I simply want to mix some of the drums down more (not off) and can’t do it, that’s all.

Also, I would love to just isolate piano with timpani or just piano and one other drum and you can’t really do that as the piano mics pick up all the drum sounds too loudly in the soundstage even if those drums are off. I was not expecting a solo piano library but thought I could have more control of the mix than one can for my tastes. When playing the piano at low dynamics it is not as problematic for me IMHO, but more of an issue at louder dynamics as for instance the bass drum is sometimes just way too loud for my tastes in comparison to other instruments. There is so much much bleed at higher dynamics that I can’t use the mixer effectively to get the overall tone I want IMHO🤔 I don’t have a problem with some mic bleed 🩸 with all the drums appearing in the piano mics but I wish this bleed amount could be adjusted somehow more than the program allows.

Also, Dorado comes with 9 sets of instrument sections yet Fornax I believe only comes with just 5 sets of instrument sections. I wish Fornax had more sets of sounds like Dorado.

Dorado sounds very good. Fornax sounds good too but feels much more limited and niche of a product. So I am hoping they update and improve these titles.

Food 🍖 for thought 💭

Last edited:

Ben, can you give us any idea of how many more instalments we can expect? Even roughly? Probably a trade secret but I'd just love to have some idea what to budget for, both literally and in terms of hard drive space. I've bought all the offerings so far and they are very reasonably priced but if it's going to go too far into the alphabet...! :unsure: :shocked: ;)

Ben, can you give us any idea of how many more instalments we can expect?
I really don't know how many there will be... But I know there will be some more. And there are also some great ideas in the feedback we get from all of you.

I really don't know how many there will be... But I know there will be some more. And there are also some great ideas in the feedback we get from all of you.
Sure they must be less than the letters of the alphabet, or you are going to run into trouble naming them! :)

Haha, when I was studying the Theory of Computability in graduate school, I almost had a nervous breakdown when we got to the point (no pun intended) where the symbols had to be interpreted contextually (which in itself was an implicit concept one had to ascertain), because they had to be reused after the Greek and Hebrew alphabets had been used up once. Perhaps that is better than moving on to the Thai alphabet (for example).

• Haha
Reactions: Ben
I just now looked at the full instrument list (I can't afford to buy the library at the moment, due to being unemployed for the first time in my life and the huge delay in any incoming compensation from the government).

I noticed two things in particular, after opening up Synchron Player to see what individual instruments are already available as dedicated libraries:

Bosendorfer Imperial
Vibraphone

Are these SYNCHRON-ized versions (perhaps they are in SYNCHRON-ized Special Edition; I haven't checked), or is this an indicator that new multi-mic Synchron versions have been recorded and are on the "long list" of upcoming releases?

My understanding is that these might be group-recorded vs. individually-recorded instrument combinations, but I also understand that when an instrument is set up to be miked for one session, often other planned sessions are done at the same time out of efficiency and for consistency.

I will fully understand if for business reasons this is too sensitive of a question to answer.

Top Bottom