What's new

BIFSC 2021 Results

Yes, I have the same feeling about my score :) I have such habit - to kill movie drama by music. But I did it within 3 days. Within 64 hours non-stop to be precise, because I could not start earlier, and have only 3 days before the deadline. I don't think I will be in top 3, but for me to be in top 10 is already a very good achievement.

And for those who are not in 10: Taking a part in such competitions is a great training and a great teacher. Believe me or not, but each time you take a part in a competition, you become better and better, even if you were not chosen by a jury.
in 3 days, that's impressive!
And you're right, these competitions are great practice and make yourself better on every level!

I didn’t watch the selected ones but I remember that the last 2 editions have crowned entries on the ambient/electronic side more that strictly classical style.
I guess you're right. But the jury certainly likes a BIG sound!

I guess you're right. But the jury certainly likes a BIG sound!
Indeed. They certainly like impressive sound more than elaborate writing.

Which is not necessarily bad : it taught me to simplify my orchestration and focus on a musical meaning rather than piling up instrument tracks.

hey. Here is mine.

If someone feels to give feedback (and Dimitry too)... :)

Hey, it seems I already liked your entry on Youtube a month ago! The right combination of tension, mystery and melody. An epic feel without being overly bombastic. Maybe the big drum sound could do with a bit more variation?
For me, you should have been a finalist.

hey. Here is mine.

If someone feels to give feedback (and Dimitry too)... :)

Hi! Very very good! I think if we divide film score into 2 approaches: 1) "Tom & Jerry" style, where music follows the picture and reflects everything on the screen, and 2) Background following, when music is hardly noticeable, and just creates an emotional background (like in Dark Knight), you are somewhere in the middle. You emphasize events in the movie, you react in very good manner. I have a feeling that you stretched out a bit the same mood across all action. I feel the pulsation (which is good for case #2), but I don't hear a melody (which is bad for case #1). And if you stick with case #2, you should avoid pauses, but increase/decrease pulsation pressure. What case is more close to you? #1 or #2? You you see some other case #3?

Ok, in which category would you put my composition in? 'Tom & Jerry" or "Background emotion"?

Hey, it seems I already liked your entry on Youtube a month ago! The right combination of tension, mystery and melody. An epic feel without being overly bombastic. Maybe the big drum sound could do with a bit more variation?
For me, you should have been a finalist.
Yes, you told me, thanks :)
Hi! Very very good! I think if we divide film score into 2 approaches: 1) "Tom & Jerry" style, where music follows the picture and reflects everything on the screen, and 2) Background following, when music is hardly noticeable, and just creates an emotional background (like in Dark Knight), you are somewhere in the middle. You emphasize events in the movie, you react in very good manner. I have a feeling that you stretched out a bit the same mood across all action. I feel the pulsation (which is good for case #2), but I don't hear a melody (which is bad for case #1). And if you stick with case #2, you should avoid pauses, but increase/decrease pulsation pressure. What case is more close to you? #1 or #2? You you see some other case #3?
Thanks ! You're surely right for the same mood. My background is more atmospheric mood (even if I have a classical formation), and I'm trying to progress for being less, and these competitions are good for progressing. I didn't listen to all 10 finalists, but those I listened have a very good musicality, a very good production, multiple themes but I find a lack of breath, and pauses...

Congrats to all finalists. Here is my work. I made some non-orchestral score, so any feedback is welcome. Thanks

Great work everyone. Very impressive! I’m trying to get a unscored copy/access to the video for practice (I missed the competition). Anyone able/willing to send me the video unscored? Thank you so much!!

The 1st prize is well deserved, it’s a perfect fit for the movie. Very impressive.

The 1st prize is well deserved, it’s a perfect fit for the movie. Very impressive.
Agreed! The music “fit” perfectly. Great seeing/hearing all the work being done by so many talented people around the world.

Congrats to the 3 winners! They were all fantastic and earned their place.

It was pretty fantastic to be one of the finalists this year. Here is my entry:

I put a fair amount of thoughts in the description if you're interested.

Congratulations to the winners!
Number 3 dares to be different and is rewarded for that.
Ferenc Batris entry is great! Sounds super professional.
The winner is also very good. Doesn't really stand out to me but a has a very nice recurring flute theme. What bothers me a bit is that the different sections don't always tie together very naturally.
To be honest, I think Chris Kennedy's entry here above should have been up there in the top three :)

Congrats to the 3 winners! They were all fantastic and earned their place.

It was pretty fantastic to be one of the finalists this year. Here is my entry:

I put a fair amount of thoughts in the description if you're interested.

Really like your work Chris! The way you made the different parts flow into each other is excellent. In particular between 2'00 and 2'30, where the pods return and connect to the machine (for me this was the hardest part to score). Very impressive.

Top Bottom