What's new

BIFSC 2021 Results

How do you upload a video? I only get this link, no video image...🤔
In the comment area, there is a button on the upper right that shows a picture and a film (left to the big quotation mark), where you can embed a YouTube-Link (or any other Link that is in the large list), and it will be shown as a video after you've posted the reply!

I was so proud of my work and was so certain about it, but couldn't make it to the finalists sadly..
The music in the climax of the film is my favourite score that I've ever written, and hope that maybe some others also like it!
Here's my piece:

Anyway, congratulations to all finalists!
I'm really looking forward to listening to the pieces!

Best

Yes, congrats to all the finalists. Here's my submission as well. It's helpful to see everyone's different vision of this score, but also the finalist's scores and what seemed to differentiate them.

I'd do a few things differently if I was starting this just now, but I guess that means I'm learning!
Best of luck to the finalists.

A caveat. BIFSC is concerned with the contemplation of new names every year. There's no unbiased judgment in their results.
Why do you say that? We see the same name several times in the finalists of previous competitions.

Hi! I am (Dmitry Lubenskiy) one who is in 10. If you need any help or suggestions -- anything I can do for you -- welcome.

My humble suggestions:

Joao -- -- you don't feel the picture. Check a video, warp your timeline with markers, adjust tempo, then write music.

Woodie -- too much tragedy. You should go thru the movie and make points where music mood is changed. And you don't use Orchestra. You use instruments. Think about it.

Yoshi -- very good work. But it is very selfish. You was involved too much in composing, and you forgot about the picture. Check Tom & Jerry cartoon, you will see how every note of your music should follow the action.

LSDMO -- you were on the right track, but you forgot about wrapping video with your music. You feel the picture, but your music is not flexible for the picture.

PeteH -- you don't follow the picture. To much dissonances in your music (imho), and I suggest to change string library - it is too mechanics.

xandersores -- very good work, better then others here I think. You should work on better fit to a picture (and you did well). And you should be more selfish -- your music is very good, and your orchestration is in the level. Find this level where you can serve the picture, and show up your music.

I am very sorry if I said something wrong or offensive, but I thought it might be helpful.

BR.

Dmitry Lubenskiy.

Last edited:
Hi! I am (Dmitry Lubenskiy) one who is in 10. If you need any help or suggestions -- anything I can do for you -- welcome.

My humble suggestions:

Joao -- -- you don't feel the picture. Check a video, warp your timeline with markers, adjust tempo, then write music.

Woodie -- too much tragedy. You should go thru the movie and make points where music mood is changed. And you don't use Orchestra. You use instruments. Think about it.

Yoshi -- very good work. But it is very selfish. You was involved too much in composing, and you forgot about the picture. Check Tom & Jerry cartoon, you will see how every note of your music should follow the action.

LSDMO -- you were on the right track, but you forgot about wrapping video with your music. You feel the picture, but your music is not flexible for the picture.

PeteH -- you don't follow the picture. To much dissonances in your music (imho), and I suggest to change string library - it is too mechanics.

xandersores -- very good work, better then others here I think. You should work on better fit to a picture (and you did well). And you should be more selfish -- your music is very good, and your orchestration is in the level. Find this level where you can serve the picture, and show up your music.

I am very sorry if I said something wrong or offensive, but I thought it might be helpful.

BR.

Dmitry Lubenskiy.
Hey Dmitry, congratulations on being a finalist!
Your comments may feel a bit harsh at times but I think they are sincere and useful.
The trouble with most competitions is the lack of feedback from the jury (Score The World being the exception I believe).
I wouldn't mind if you judged my entry as well:

Congrats to the finalists !! You surely did an amazing job !

I think I have to make some improvements yet in orchestration, or maybe the mix.

Here's my participation aswell :

Hey Dmitry, congratulations on being a finalist!
Your comments may feel a bit harsh at times but I think they are sincere and useful.
The trouble with most competitions is the lack of feedback from the jury (Score The World being the exception I believe).
I wouldn't mind if you judged my entry as well:

Hi! Thank you! I think you don't feel the picture fully. Perhaps, you did not warp your time track? Looks like the same tempo during the video. I believe that picture has to affect music, and music reacts to the changes with all orchestral power. Also I would suggest to pay attention to details: e.g. brasses sound very lonely -- support them with celos, and woods playing different rhythm and manner as the 2nd voice. This would make your orchestra sound not like just brass+strings+woods, but a mixture where instruments are communicating with each other, "talking".

My humble suggestions:

BR.

Dmitry Lubenskiy.
Thank you very much for the feedback! I'm glad that you listened to my music! I love the cartoon of Tom & Jerry too and also really admire the music in there. Though, I definitely didn't aim to do any micky-mousing and also wouldn't say that anyone should follow every frame of the action if not needed, especially in this film!

I'm actually still confident with my approach to the film, but I can also understand what you mean, thank you!
Congratulations that you were chosen to the 10, hats off. :notworthy:

Best.

I am surprised to hear so many participants (in finalists too) who put the music too loud compared to the FX track. At some points, in fact, music could be set in front. For this video, the fx track was really great and should be kept anymore.

Hi! Thank you! I think you don't feel the picture fully. Perhaps, you did not warp your time track? Looks like the same tempo during the video. I believe that picture has to affect music, and music reacts to the changes with all orchestral power. Also I would suggest to pay attention to details: e.g. brasses sound very lonely -- support them with celos, and woods playing different rhythm and manner as the 2nd voice. This would make your orchestra sound not like just brass+strings+woods, but a mixture where instruments are communicating with each other, "talking".
Thank you for your analysis Dmitry!

Indeed, the tempo could have varied more.
And you are right about the orchestration, I still need to learn a lot in that area. Very good tips on making the orchestra sound more as a whole, letting the instruments interact more with each other!

Where I don’t really agree with you is in the feel for the picture (if by feel you mean catching the ambience of the film).
Your entry sounds impressively real, the orchestration is phenomenal! But for my taste the score is a bit too bombastic and doesn’t always match the mood of the story. At times it might as well have been the beautiful soundtrack for a period drama.

I have the impression so far (from watching the finalists entries on Youtube, don’t know about the other finalists yet) that the jury favours a classic sound, full orchestral works that could stand on their own as symphonic pieces.
Which is not necessarily the direction that film music of recent years is going into (cfr. Hildur Gudnadottir, Johnny Greenwood, Ludwig Goransson etc.).

I have the impression so far (from watching the finalists entries on Youtube, don’t know about the other finalists yet) that the jury favours a classic sound, full orchestral works that could stand on their own as symphonic pieces.
I didn’t watch the selected ones but I remember that the last 2 editions have crowned entries on the ambient/electronic side more that strictly classical style.

Thank you for your analysis Dmitry!

Indeed, the tempo could have varied more.
And you are right about the orchestration, I still need to learn a lot in that area. Very good tips on making the orchestra sound more as a whole, letting the instruments interact more with each other!

Where I don’t really agree with you is in the feel for the picture (if by feel you mean catching the ambience of the film).
Your entry sounds impressively real, the orchestration is phenomenal! But for my taste the score is a bit too bombastic and doesn’t always match the mood of the story. At times it might as well have been the beautiful soundtrack for a period drama.

Which is not necessarily the direction that film music of recent years is going into (cfr. Hildur Gudnadottir, Johnny Greenwood, Ludwig Goransson etc.).
Yes, I have the same feeling about my score :) I have such habit - to kill movie drama by music. But I did it within 3 days. Within 64 hours non-stop to be precise, because I could not start earlier, and have only 3 days before the deadline. I don't think I will be in top 3, but for me to be in top 10 is already a very good achievement.

And for those who are not in 10: Taking a part in such competitions is a great training and a great teacher. Believe me or not, but each time you take a part in a competition, you become better and better, even if you were not chosen by a jury.

Top Bottom