What's new

BF2018: The cigarette after it. How do you feel?

I probably spent around 3K on samples this year, and I'm still shopping for some last minute deals.

Addicted?...nah.
Yeah, what is up with that addiction? It’s like “do I really need that Deep sampled Ruudga from Burkina Faso”, just in case? Or is it that they are so close to the real thing, so very very close? Mind you my guitar collection.... Buying more libraries is simpler than working that out. I’ Stick to that......

Got the Positive Grid Bias Guitar Bundle for half off

and Waves Horizon Bundle

I needed Waves Plugins for school anyways so I'm counting that as an "educational" Purchase :P

Yeah, what is up with that addiction? It’s like “do I really need that Deep sampled Ruudga from Burkina Faso”, just in case? Or is it that they are so close to the real thing, so very very close? Mind you my guitar collection.... Buying more libraries is simpler than working that out. I’ Stick to that......
Ah, man! I can't tell you how many amps I've purchased (and sold) in the last year. I finally just settled on the PRS MT15, which surprisingly has been my favorite and least expensive amp!...kinda ironic.

When it comes to the sample libraries, I don't buy anything throughout the year, so I just stock up during sales. I do spend, but I also save a lot of money that way.

I was also impressed, though not terribly surprised, that Christian Henson from Spitfire gave away his old Mac Pro Coffee grinder to one of their customers who had a really low end MacBook and was struggling to run their libraries. What a great thing to do - but I've always thought highly of him and Paul.
Just so you know, I've started a money pot for thanking the man. All contributions are welcome.

Reactions: Van
I bought a number of things. Lots of good deals out there. And, more companies participating in really going big on the BF sale than ever before. Like others (and I'm sure the companies, themselves), I wonder how these BF sales are going to impact library sales during the rest of the year, and sales at full price, in general. I see a number of people on this thread vowing to only wait for the big sales from here on out.

Prior to this season, there were companies who just didn't do sales, with the exception of introductory prices. OT comes to mind. Now, I know that they do do sales, so I'll keep that in mind.

I just hope that the market for samples holds together well enough so that developers can keep developing, and we keep seeing interesting products. It just seems to me that there's a threat of things fizzle out as there are more and more and more products on the market. We're now at the point where legacy products are still very good, and compete with new releases in a lot of instrument categories. Product delivery is just a matter of whizzing some 1's and 0's down the pipe, so it's possible to cut prices to the bone and hope to do okay on volume. But, that's going to make it difficult to keep the lights on for some of the larger developers. Time will tell. Lots and lots of VI developers these days, and tons and tons of people sitting behind computers hoping to somehow make a living at music making as incomes plummet. What could turn this race to the bottom around?

I bought a number of things. Lots of good deals out there. And, more companies participating in really going big on the BF sale than ever before. Like others (and I'm sure the companies, themselves), I wonder how these BF sales are going to impact library sales during the rest of the year, and sales at full price, in general. I see a number of people on this thread vowing to only wait for the big sales from here on out.

Prior to this season, there were companies who just didn't do sales, with the exception of introductory prices. OT comes to mind. Now, I know that they do do sales, so I'll keep that in mind.

I just hope that the market for samples holds together well enough so that developers can keep developing, and we keep seeing interesting products. It just seems to me that there's a threat of things fizzle out as there are more and more and more products on the market. We're now at the point where legacy products are still very good, and compete with new releases in a lot of instrument categories. Product delivery is just a matter of whizzing some 1's and 0's down the pipe, so it's possible to cut prices to the bone and hope to do okay on volume. But, that's going to make it difficult to keep the lights on for some of the larger developers. Time will tell. Lots and lots of VI developers these days, and tons and tons of people sitting behind computers hoping to somehow make a living at music making as incomes plummet. What could turn this race to the bottom around?

They just reduce the prices and still sell them. Sonnivox is doing that making money of those will small budgets. All of those Waves $29 plugins haven't had real updates despite slapping the v10 label on them. There's so many products out there that were developed well enough not to need updating they still make money off them.

I was a very bad boy. Bought way too much software, patches, and sample libraries - no hardware though. 8dio Century Ostinato strings is a nice addition to my collection - I'm always looking for playable tempo-synced ostinato patches.

The only thing I'm still waffling on is the Berlin stuff. Might be too "serious grown-up orchestral" for me, and reports of high cpu and memory use are not encouraging. Got to decide tonight I guess...

I was a very bad boy. Bought way too much software, patches, and sample libraries - no hardware though. 8dio Century Ostinato strings is a nice addition to my collection - I'm always looking for playable tempo-synced ostinato patches.

The only thing I'm still waffling on is the Berlin stuff. Might be too "serious grown-up orchestral" for me, and reports of high cpu and memory use are not encouraging. Got to decide tonight I guess...
Don't do it, Charlie @charlieclouser. You wouldn't want to sound like everyone else, fer goodness sake :)

LG 32" 4k monitor 32MU99-W
2 x MX500 2TB SSD
VSL MirPro roompacks 1,3,4,5
Scarbee EP-88s
Arturia 6
Sapphire Pulse RX-580 video card
Some new furniture
Some rugs
winter tires Pirelli Sottozero 3
2 Mike Verta courses
Bunch of stuff from PluginBoutique

Besides being broke, I'm exhausted...
Probably another thread but are you liking 32” at 4K?

On the plus side, this addiction doesn’t really add that much to one’s carbon footprint. So all this consumption is actually diverting mountains of eventual trash from landfills and sparing the atmosphere tons of airplane CO2 emissions from all the family vacations we can no longer afford.:thumbsup:
hmmm...
< “90% of the 75 million servers that host websites are powered by fossil fuels.”>
Your Web Use Leaves A Carbon Footprint

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilye...int-heres-how-you-can-reduce-it/#3b41f0629401

[edit: I forgot to factor in the cigarette after, so now that really screws the carbon footprint up.]

Last edited:
How’re you liking Union? I so dig it. Easy to get lost in it.

It's great!

There aren't many other decent choices unless you can make the huge software and hardware investment for Hauptwerk.

UCO, along with a few other bits and pieces, has let me put together a lovely organ template. I'd love them to do another, larger instrument eventually.

Reactions: Van
I tried to keep myself in check this year... The only plan was to upgrade to the full Soundtoys 5 (which I did!).

However, I also purchased:
- iZotope Iris 2/Trash 2 bundle though Plugin Boutique...which got me Neutron Elements for free
- Cypher 2...couldn't resist the discount being a Roli user
- Cubasis 2

I could have done more damage, but held back.

I bought a 16-voice Moog One and a Prophet X....thus had absolutely no business spending any more money for BF. :shocked:
I finally found someone who has moog One. Great!
What are your impressions? Can you please write something more about this moog from composer (cinematic) perspective?

Top Bottom