What's new

BF2018: The cigarette after it. How do you feel?

Wolf68

I should compose something.
Well...my finances did not suffer too much. Bought just two libraries and two updates.
Here are my purchases:

-Dominus: excellent!
-Silka: not tried yet, but I have Insolidus, so I know what it will deliver.
- Studio One update: not yet tried either, but I'm sure, it will be a workflow improvement.
- Melodyne update: well well, not too groundbreaking. Just bought it in order to be prepared, when Cubase gets Ara Support.

Shiirai

Resident Crow
I had a budget, and i basically stuck to it (within a margin of a buck or twenty).
As a result, I have a nice package to get started with my composing and orchestrating studies.

My purchases:
  • Red Room Audio Palette + Melodics Brushpack
  • Aria Orchestral Bundle
  • 3 Udemy courses on Orchestration, Orchestrating for Strings and Composing Trailer music respectively.
  • Rigid Audio Cinematrix ('cause it looked like fun)

And i'll probably get the Embertone Walker Concert D Lite before the week is out.

EDIT: Nope, got that too :D. Feels good to be part of the Embertone Family

tokatila

Instruments/Samples:
Era II Vocal Codex
Spitfire Solo Strings
(just few days before: Musical Sampling Trailer Bundle)

Effects:
Fabfilter Simplon

Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven

Softube Tape
Softube Drawmer S73

Overloud Gem Dopamine

Waves Abbey Road Chambers
Waves Abbey Road Vinyl
Waves H-Reverb
Waves Aphex Aural Vintage Exciter
Waves Scheps Omni

Other:
Samsung Evo 860 1TB

Still wondering between A or B?

Geez....Forgot Output Complete Bundle, Acon Reverberate, Tube Tech Upgrade to Mk ii, Lexicon MPX....

Last edited:
OP
Wolf68

Wolf68

I had a budget, and i basically stuck to it (within a margin of a buck or twenty).
As a result, I have a nice package to get started with my composing and orchestrating studies.

My purchases:
  • Red Room Audio Palette + Melodics Brushpack
  • Aria Orchestral Bundle
  • 3 Udemy courses on Orchestration, Orchestrating for Strings and Composing Trailer music respectively.
  • Rigid Audio Cinematrix ('cause it looked like fun)

And i'll probably get the Embertone Walker Concert D Lite before the week is out.

EDIT: Nope, got that too :D. Feels good to be part of the Embertone Family
yea..good choice...I'm also still thinking about the Red Room "Melodics" Expansion, too....

OP
Wolf68

Wolf68

Instruments/Samples:
Era II Vocal Codex
Spitfire Solo Strings
(just few days before: Musical Sampling Trailer Bundle)

Effects:
Fabfilter Simplon

Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven

Softube Tape
Softube Drawmer S73

Overloud Gem Dopamine

Waves Abbey Road Chambers
Waves Abbey Road Vinyl
Waves H-Reverb
Waves Aphex Aural Vintage Exciter
Waves Scheps Omni

Other:
Samsung Evo 860 1TB

Still wondering between A or B?
good choice, too. ERa vocal Codex is the killer!

MaxOctane

Last year I went nuts with Spitfire bundles, a bunch of sonokinetic, Output signal, tons of drums.

This year I spent like $30. Felt like there were fewer hot deals.

I hope I don't regret grabbing Afflatus though.

Mikro93

CineBrass Core.
Definitely not what I expected it to be, despite a double digits amount of hours watching playthroughs on YouTube and asking for advice here. Let's make something out of it, shall we? And maybe grab VSL SE Brass to compliment it.

VSL SE Woodwinds 1&2
I tried these, and was amazed by what I heard. Waiting for the USB dongle to come.

ERA II Medieval
Thanks to a fellow forum member, and I'm eagerly waiting for it to arrive :)

Henu

Exhausted, poor and also very satisfied. Here are my last remaining two cents, a recap and mini-reviews!

Heavyocity Ethnic Drums Ensemble (68.56 €)

- I'm a sucker for what it comes to ethnic instruments and percussions, and what I miss from any of my libraries is a proper ethnic flamming drum ensemble. For me, this was very useful and a unique purchase. And it sounds awesome, just like Heavyocity usually does.

Modwheel Angklung and Worldly Goods (12.88 €)

- ANGKLUNG: Love the sound of this instrument and always wanted to get a sampled version. With this price it was hard to resist. However, thanks to Modwheels non-existing instructions or any manuals/ videos, this was a complete miss. UI and patch list is a nightmare and the sound is quite lackluster. Lucky for me, it was at least cheap as hell.

- WORLDLY GOODS: Bones! Stones! Archaic sticks! With this price it was exactly what I thought it was. "Thought", because once again Modwheel provided absolutely no further information of this small collection of instruments. Cheap, fun and not very versatile- but I'm sure I'll be using these bones later.

IK Multimedia Amplitube Max (289 €)

- Yes, it was expensive as hell. And contains a lot of amps I don't necessarily need. But knowing that I need a versatile go-to-workhorse amp sim to use with my clients and my previous one had proven to be WAY too unstable during sessions, I had kept watching this for some time already. Unlike many people, I usually am not so keen on using external cabinet impulses, so I wanted to get a moldable sound straight out of the box for those sessions I need a sound which I cannot provide by simply reamping. For me, this full version was a godsend and I'm sure it will pay itself back right away.

Embertone Shan Bawu and The Charmer (19.23 €)

- As my collection was lacking this sort of a flute, it was a no-brainer. Every time there's a major sale, I always surf to Embertone's page to see if they have any new ethnic winds I don't have. Well, now I do! For what it comes to the Charmer, I actually went through my libraries to see if I have any middle- eastern ones...and as I didn't, and none of them provided such a sharp attack, I decided that settled the deal and put the bundle into my cart.

At this point, I was sure there's nothing I need anymore, so I thought that was for my consumerism this year. Until I got hit by....

Orchestral Tools Berlin Woodwinds Revive (379 €)

...this one. Having spent last year over a MONTH comparing should I get Spitfire WW or the Berlin ones, I ended up buying the Spitfires and having been happily using them since then. Sure, they are rather wet and are maybe best suited for more textural writing but they are very light and agile- sounding AND JESUS TAPDANCING CHRIST THE BERLIN WOODWINDS ARE ON SALE. These babies are HEAVY on resources but they fill the gap between Spitfire's williamsesque fluttering and Cinewinds' angry elfmanish soloists like a charm. The sound is gorgeously detailed yet not too aggressive, the amount of articulations is stupefying and the customization + the clearly very different- sounding microphone choices make these absolutely the most versatile set of orchestral woodwinds I've ever used. These are not going to replace my Spitfire WW, but will continue from where they begin to lack. Absolutely one of the best sample library purchases I've made.

Audioplugin.deals Soundiron Bundle (91,97 €)

Remember when these guys had this one on sale a year ago? I do, because I missed it back then. So I got myself the "other bundle" with Mars and random cool Soundiron stuff (of which half I still haven't installed), hoping that Venus will come on sale after that so I could get myself their Olympus Choir in it's full glory. Well, fuck you lady fate, this was worth the wait! In other words, I almost missed this one (again) but grabbed it after two hours of idiot-proofing my opinion by watching some of their walkthrough videos. As a bonus, I also got another random set of Soundiron libraries I will install some day...yep, some day. Not that I have anything against Brynn in particular but I think I'll do with him in that Voices of Gaia which I got when buying Mars a year earlier.And I'm pretty sure that some day I will have some great use for a library full of bowed cymbals too!

Don't get me wrong, though- I love Soundiron stuff and they are a fucking awesome company with one of the coolest peeps ever. But their line of products is sometimes a bit eccentric for this old instrument-conservative composer. I just can't accustom myself playing music with something which does not really exist as an instrument.

Soundiron Angklung (26,67 €)

Oh yeah, well. Remember that Modwheel- dissappointment? I gotta confess something. I cheaped out on Friday, picking up that Modwheel Angklung instead of the Soundiron one. I was really close getting this one, but in the end I thought that the cheap one will probably suit my needs anyway, so "why pay more, right?". Obviously, I ended up paying for two instruments instead of one due to my cheapness. Lesson to learn? Always buy your Angklungs from the good chaps of Soundiron. By the way, this one sounds awesome.

BUBBLING UNDER:

EastWest Spaces 2 (216 €)

This wasn't a Black Friday- thing, but I still need to count it to the same pool of madness. Or, technically, I don't even have this one. I bought the unused licence from a forum member two weeks ago and everything went very smoothly. However, while registering it, it turned out that I had actually paid 216 € for Play 6 software (retail price $ 29). Lucky for me, the seller was as puzzled as I was and contacted the shop who sold it to him. The shop promised to get back to him, but it's been rather silent since. I really hope this will get solved soon, so let's see what happens. Does any of you have any experience with this sort of mistake and how did you solve it?

Last edited:

dzilizzi

I know nothing
Spent more than I planned. But it was hard to resist the Berlin Woodwinds and Fluffy Audio's Dominus Choir. And a 32" monitor. It is curved and huge. I'm not sure I like it. But then, I can see everything on it.

Everything else was pretty much planned, and, as usual, I bought too much.

Gerhard Westphalen

Scoring Mixer
I got Soothe and DearVR. Having some issues with Soothe hoping to get resolved in the next few days. Also renewed my Slate subscription at the BF price.

I bought a headphone amp about a week ago which cut my BF budget. Would've liked to get Intensity, the Leapwing plugins, Softube Weiss, and Slate ML-1. Maybe next year. Was hoping that Black Box would go on sale but it didn't.

gregh

upgraded Melodyne to Studio - worth it for the various transformations
bought Photosounder for a specific set of projects. I think it will be very effective but will not really know until those projects are underway

bought BlueCat MB-7 multiband vst host/mixer and Late Replies - vst hosting delay. Got them on a good deal at Thomann just before BF. Great purchases, particularly MB-7

Also - Decimort, Byome, Dent. Byome is again in the must have for me - running parallel Byome instances through different frequency bands in MB-7 is a sound persons dream

Main thing now is to sell off a bunch of stuff that is now redundant and claw back a few dollars. I easily have enough to explore for quite some time

Zoot_Rollo

Throbbing Member
East West Hollywood Strings Diamond

Cinematic Strings 2

Modwheel Lowdown v2

Fabfilter Pro-R
EaReckon - EAReverb
TC Electronics - VSS3

Soundtoys - Decapitator

A few Udemy courses

I spent more than I'd planned, sorry to report, but some of the deals were too darned attractive ($100 for three SA libs, whaaaaaaa?). Other things (quite a few plugins) were on my radar anyway, since my Herculean effort to make a monster template this year is now approaching the "template balancing/mixing" phase. And then there was Dominus ... which I just knew I wanted if a sale came along, and sure enough one did.

Full documentation of the carnage is found here: Post Your Black Friday Haul Pictures HERE!

P.S.: all told, I think I spent around $1300 ... but ended up with over $3K worth of stuff. So I don't feel TOO bad about it ...

JeffvR

I Bought no sample libraries and no reverbs this year. I think I have enough for the moment + I'm waiting for Cinematic Studio Brass.

I did buy:
- Google Home Mini :D
- 3 masterclasses by M Verta (one of which is the brass class, very nice so far)
- Kush Clariphonic (I like it, always in search to add some sexy highs, this simple plugin delivers)
- Slate Digital bus compressors
- Elgato Stream Deck
- Mixchecker Pro (couldn't resist at +/-75% off)

Funny to see everyone has completely different purchases :)

Top Bottom