What's new

Beyond the orchestra - 73% off!

reutunes

I've been keeping my eye on Audio Plugin Deals and just seen their new deal...

Versilian Studios Chamber Orchestra 2.5 PLUS 3 other libraries for just $99.99

I'm not going to go into all the details here but the basics are that you get a complete chamber orchestra for Kontakt PLAYER (yay), Bowed Psaltery, The Strumstuck & an exclusive release "Luna’s Gayageum". Total size is 21GB and there's over 100 instruments.

My personal opinion? The orchestra will be a great starter kit for some and useful percussion / solo toolkit for others. I haven't played with the other libraries but Versilian are usually solid and the demo videos are impressive.

Full details HERE

Satorious

I'd be interested in picking up the other instruments separately as I don't have them - but already own the Chamber Orchestra (the main reason to get this bundle). Not sure if @APD or Sam can offer a deal?

There is a lot of material in Chamber Orchestra. Some instruments certainly work better than others, but there is some really interesting and unique stuff here which I don't have elsewhere (plus it also has a low memory footprint - so it's great for layering). This is a great deal for anyone starting out. Curious to see that Etherealwinds Harp II wasn't included (really like that one).

Shredoverdrive

Sounds good on the whole I think. And it's the only place to find an Ophicleide apart from the very expensive Historic Winds by VSL. I have been eyeing this hungrily for a while for this reason mainly (and to have more orchestral options of course).
As regards Etherealwinds Harp II, it is very good indeed. The reason why it's not here, I guess, is because it was discounted not so long ago.

OP
reutunes

reutunes

Sounds good on the whole I think. And it's the only place to find an Ophicleide apart from the very expensive Historic Winds by VSL. I have been eyeing this hungrily for a while for this reason mainly (and to have more orchestral options of course).
As regards Etherealwinds Harp II, it is very good indeed. The reason why it's not here, I guess, is because it was discounted not so long ago.
I think that's probably correct - I remember seeing that (excellent) harp discounted very recently.

bigcat1969

Note that you can get a fraction of the orchestra as a sort of try version for free. Try the sfz version for the closest sound. The full version is a nice Kontakt player version though. That old bigcat normalized and edited and messed with the samples while the sfz are more the straight samples. The brass and percussion are the stars here. Also in the full version, the samples are phase locked so you can do the modwheel crossfade and it sounds like one note on one instrument getting louder or softer. The free stuff isn't like that.

http://vis.versilstudios.net/vsco-community.html

Tacet

Sounds like a good deal.

Personally, I'm only really interested in the Chamber Orchestra, but for that price I'd obviously be happy to get the whole package.
I own Etherealwinds Harp II and like it a lot.

Are the solo strings in the CO any good for quartet writing?
Can anyone offer feedback?

Wally Garten

Just want to make a huge plug for VSCO2, which I picked up a while back and have used on EVERYTHING. As bigcat says, the brass is especially complete and great-sounding, and there's a ton of percussion. Also lots of cool bonus instruments like ethnic flutes, a complete set of recorders, and a harpsichord, plus a set of very enjoyable multi-instrument "ensembles" with delightful themes like "Dragon Hunt." It's just ridiculous fun for $99.

Wally Garten

Are the solo strings in the CO any good for quartet writing?
I would say the solo strings are basic, and scripted legato only, but on the other hand you do get some interesting articulations, like Bartok pizz and col legno, as well as some cool effects. (Also, you get two different basses!) So it really depends what kind of quartet music you're doing (and what kind of sound you like, of course). Here's a demo with some quick hits on each articulation:

Tacet

I would say the solo strings are basic, and scripted legato only, but on the other hand you do get some interesting articulations, like Bartok pizz and col legno, as well as some cool effects. (Also, you get two different basses!) So it really depends what kind of quartet music you're doing (and what kind of sound you like, of course). Here's a demo with some quick hits on each articulation:

Thank you!
For the price that's fairly impressive, I think.
And let's not forget the rest of the instruments you get.
Considering I've got some rewards money with APD, this is a total no brainer... :2thumbs:

bigcat1969

I just spent a couple hours messing with the brass. If you dare you can find the results in members compositions. I started with the unique instruments like the Cornet, the Euphonium and the Ophicleide and then did a little bit with the traditional Trumpet, Trombone, and Tuba. Given my complete lack of talent, I thought the instruments sounded pretty good and of course it is fun to play around with the oddball instruments which I think help set this chamber orchestra apart. I think I'll try the SSATB recorders and wooden flutes next. But first i must recover my sanity so I'm off watch Green Acres.

Sibelius19

Music is just color and rhythm --Debussy
Etherealwinds is currently available in the APD store for as little as $14.99 US, depending on how much store credit you have.
That's great, except my store credit just disappeared out of nowhere. Contacted support about a week ago....silent. Tried to contact again. Seems support is down.

Mike Fox

The pipe organ in this library is worth the price alone. It's seriously massive sounding. Versilian Studios also offers top notch customer service. Can't go wrong with these guys.

DivingInSpace

The pipe organ in this library is worth the price alone. It's seriously massive sounding. Versilian Studios also offers top notch customer service. Can't go wrong with these guys.
So, from what i got from other people/reviews up until now is:

The Percussion is great and could be its own library
The Brass really shines in this
The woodwinds is a highlight
The strings sound lovely

And now the organ is worth the price alone? People also says that it has its ups and downs, but it seems like every section has something great to offer. I would love to hear some opinions from people though, as i am very interested in this by now.

Top Bottom