1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bewitched by Metropolis Ark 2

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Parsifal666, Sep 13, 2018.

1. @Fry777 : This subject really went too far when the library was released imho.

A part of the issue comes from the fact the volume of some sections was artificially raised - you can see it when editing the patches. If you compare a ppp string short with a mp string short, and both are playing at same volume... yeah, the ppp will be noisier :)

I found that when properly balanced, the noise really isn't a problem at all except for a very few patches.

In Albion V Tundra, which has a similar concept, there is some kind of filter + volume drop happening at the lowest dynamic layer to "help" the feeling we're at the edge of silence. It's kind of cheating :) I like Tundra as well but always prefered how the samples were kept intact in Ark 2.

2. Akarin

Akarin Senior Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Switzerland
    I'm really tempted by both Ark 2 and Albion Iceni. Do you happen to have an example of something you wrote with them? Thanks!

TheSigillite likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    @Chris Hein
    I would, but I REALLY suck lol! It wouldn't be helpful.

I don't have Ark 2, but I can full on recommend Iceni...mostly if you don't already have Ark 1 (although, as Mike mentioned above, Ark 1 can still worth owning for the choirs).

Iceni features some of the nastiest brass, diseased low woodwinds, and punchy/dark strings you'll ever hear. And I mean that as a compliment! Just wait until you check out the horrific scrape of the low woodwinds, really godawful stuff (in the "good" way).

The only drawback of Iceni is the room sound, but it's nowhere near as hard to integrate with other instruments as, say, Albions One and Two. At least not for me.

4. thevisi0nary

thevisi0nary Senior Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Sooo sick!

5. InLight-Tone

InLight-Tone Senior Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Honestly, I think VI composers barely scrape the surface of functionality of the libraries they own. I think the majority buy a library and hope it inspires a few tracks to be created. No one digs that deep as you are referring to let alone REALLY getting to know the library DEEPLY. As you mention, you can make other libraries you own match the Arks. If one is adept and can mix, manage, and deeply edit groups and samples even, in Kontakt, you can really maximize investment in the long term. Remember the days when we were using Soundfonts and/or the limited sample memory of the Alesis Quadrasynth or the Roland S-550?!?

col, jononotbono and Parsifal666 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    The bass and alto flute ensembles are a huge selling point for me...heck ALL of the woodwinds in Ark 2! And I must say it's quite a recommendation coming from such a (deservedly) revered developer! @Strezov

I've heard mostly good about the harps...but I have a specific sound that I want, which seems well represented in Ark 2. That 9 harp thing that Bernard Herrmann accomplished on Beneath the 12 Mile Reef. It's such an incredible effect (just imagine how many movers must have been involved in that project lol!).

7. ChrisSiuMusic

ChrisSiuMusic Senior Member

Dec 21, 2017
    I used Ark 2 primarily for this short piece:

Parsifal666 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    I like how it's almost liquid, very good sound. And it seems the perfect complement to Ark 1. Thank you!

ChrisSiuMusic likes this.
  9. ChrisSiuMusic

Dec 21, 2017
    You’re welcome! Come to think of it, I think it was exclusively Ark 2. :2thumbs:

Parsifal666 likes this.
  10. lp59burst

lp59burst Keeper Of Odd Knowledge (Kook)

Sep 11, 2016
    SF Bay Area
    I'm confused... (easily done... ;)) ...you used Ark 2 to "rescore" an Albion ONE demo or did I miss something...? :unsure:

ChrisSiuMusic likes this.
  11. ChrisSiuMusic

Dec 21, 2017
    Yes, this was indeed a rescoring competition for Albion ONE’s 10 year anniversary :) I thought using Ark 2 for this style of trailer would be fitting.

col likes this.