Beware intransparency of the Spitfire Wish List Sale

FriFlo

I was thinking hard on how to title this and avoiding any words that might trigger certain people. But it is how it is: On bundles and during sales you used to see an exact calculation how the end result is reached, now, you do not see that any more. Compare how discounts and bundles are presented to you on the VSL site for example and it becomes obvious, what is the right way to do it.
While that might annoy me with most sales Spitfire does, it wouldn't get me to write this tread. There is more ...
Spitfire tells you, that you get 40% on individual products and 30% on bundles on top of the bundle discount, right? Up to 65% discount, they say. Well, how would that logically translate to bundles of which you already own certain products? I'd say, it is pretty straight forward ... calculate the individual value of the products not owned and apply the discounts as they are promised (anything between 30% and 65% of). But that is not actually the case! They calculate the full pride, apply the discount and only substract what you actually paid for the other products! Meanin, if you bought one of those during intro sale, you get less appreciation as a customer, than someone who buys this bundle without having bought anything before.
To make it simple to understand, here is what this can actually lead to and you tell me, wether you think that is fair ...
This is how the Bernard Herrmann Library shows up in my wishlist:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-09 um 13.51.10.png
So far, so good! There also is the Bohemian Bundle, which I own all products from, except for Bernard Herrmann. What would you guess would they charge for it, then? Go figure ...
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-09 um 13.50.15.png
So, essentially, for the same product during the same sale, I am supposed to pay 150 bucks more within a bundle, that should actually make it cheaper by common logic?!
Neither can I cope with this in terms of fairness towards a customer who already bought half of their catalogue, nor do I think it is transparent!
And don't tell me to contact support! I already did and they made it perfectly clear, that everything is correct - even after pointing them at the elephant in the room, that this doesn't make ANY sense!
One reason to post this is to make you aware that you should take the time to calculate those bundle discounts from spitfire before buying anything! The other reason is to point at something that is definitively not right and fair by any healthy definition of the word. For me, it is quite clear that I will not continue buying from a company that has such low ethics on transparency and fairness in regard t their sales. In case you think that is standard today, hence, I should not worry 'bout those things, let me tell you this: I will never except for a practice like this become "normal" or "expected". Otherwise, there is no point in having ethics and morals. Everybody screws everybody and that is fair, because everyone does it, right? No, not to me ...

gamma-ut

I found when I added Bohemian the price seemed absurdly high - BH is the only one in that bundle I don’t have. But when I went back to the wish list, the price came down to something more realistic. I think there are some issues with the database or website code caused by the late change to “do it live”.

Support probably don’t realise the prices are getting a bit garbled in places.

I think Spitfire said some bundle calculations were off, eg SSO-SCS Edition, because of the way it calculates what’s in a bundle or not and that support would fix those issues - or at least come up with a better price.

AllanH

One thing i noticed with the Spitfire wish list, is that some of the "adjustments" happen overnight. For instance, it took a day before the SSO CS Edition reflected that I already owned Chamber Strings pro. Now it does. Likewise, my purchase of Studio Brass Pro was not immediately reflected in the wish-list price of the Studio Orchestra Pro.

Yeah that’s the thing, I could get the SSO chamber edition and only pay 355 for chamber strings (which is close to 50% off) as I own the rest of the SSO, but if I go to the individual SCS page the price is 420. I can’t remember what I’d pay for the SSO-SCS if it wasn’t on sale but I know there would be a discount. Then again, am I to complain when I can basically get chamber strings for half off. Do I even need chamber strings lol

lucianogiacomozzi

Similarly I can update my "Starter" bundle (as I owned everything before they updated the new Solo Strings) for £257.41 but Solo Strings alone are now £131...?

DavidY

To make it simple to understand, here is what this can actually lead to and you tell me, wether you think that is fair ...
View attachment 19908
So far, so good! There also is the Bohemian Collection, which I own all products from, except for Bernard Herrmann. What would you guess would they charge for it, then? Go figure ...
View attachment 19907
So, essentially, for the same product during the same sale, I am supposed to pay 150 bucks more within a bundle, that should actually make it cheaper by common logic?!
Something is off in the maths there.
Have you definitely got the Bohemian collection in your wishlist?

For me the Bohemian collection, which is in my wishlist, is showing as £419.63 on Spitfire's website (sorry it's a different currency but gives a good idea) and that's because I only own Alternative Solo Strings.

As far as I can figure out, the math(s) for Collections when you already have one or more products is something like:
* get the individual prices for the things you don't own yet
* reduce by the overall percentage discount (at the bottom of the table on the Spitfire Collections graphic at the bottom of collection webpages, but for Bohemian it's 19.86% in my currency - £198 savings divided by £997 full price)
* then multiply by 30% if the Collection is in your wishlist

For me that's:
* £299 + £449 (LCO Strings +BHCT)=£749
* Subtract collection average discount = 19.86%, leaving £599.45
* Take off 30% because it's in my wishlist= £419.62

Last edited:

Studio E

Eric Watkins
One thing I've noticed, is that things cost money, and that it's either worth it or not. Then, when a company offers a discount, it's worth whatever they are asking for it at that point, or it's not. Then with that knowledge, I either buy it or I don't. Then usually after that decision, my life goes back to thinking about other things, usually within seconds. Sorry, but we ALL have it TOO good almost ALL of the time. I understand bringing a miscalculation to the attention of a company, but if they make it clear that it "is what it is", then refer back to the part where I think about something else within seconds.

No hard feelings but life is short and sample libraries aren't life. Move along.....

chocobitz825

I mean I guess I get your point..but you condemn spitfire without saying if you ever contacted them about this discrepancy. So you seem to fault them with malice intent for something that is more likely a rare occurrence for their automated system to calculate, rather than a common issue for the majority of customers. This may just be the way they do business, or maybe if you ask them about the math, they may be able to adjust it for your particular case....but I don't know if I'd say this little discrepancy is enough to paint the entire company as some kind of thieves in the night.

reid

One thing I've noticed, is that things cost money, and that it's either worth it or not. Then, when a company offers a discount, it's worth whatever they are asking for it at that point, or it's not. Then with that knowledge, I either buy it or I don't. Then usually after that decision, my life goes back to thinking about other things, usually within seconds. Sorry, but we ALL have it TOO good almost ALL of the time. I understand bringing a miscalculation to the attention of a company, but if they make it clear that it "is what it is", then refer back to the part where I think about something else within seconds.

No hard feelings but life is short and sample libraries aren't life. Move along.....
Totally.

NekujaK

Searching for the Lost Chord
I'm just grateful they decided to offer such generous discounts to begin with. After all, Spitfire, or any other vendor, are not obligated to ever cut their prices, and certainly not so deeply. How lucky are we!

DavidY

@FriFlo in case this helps your discussions with Spitfire support, it looks like you're not getting credit for Alternative Solo Strings in your Bohemian pricing.

(I found the Euro prices so think I found a way to get to the figure it's quoting for you.)

As far as I can figure out, the math(s) for Collections when you already have one or more products is something like:
* get the individual prices for the things you don't own yet
* reduce by the overall percentage discount (at the bottom of the table on the Spitfire Collections graphic at the bottom of collection webpages, but for Bohemian it's 19.88% in Euros- €228 savings divided by €1147 full price)
* then multiply by 30% as the Collection is in your wishlist
It looks like the figures its using are
* €299 + €499 (Alt Solo Strings +BHCT)=€798
* Subtract collection average discount = 19.88%, leaving €639.37
* Take off 30% because it's your wishlist= €447.56

bzyboy

So far, so good! There also is the Bohemian Bundle, which I own all products from, except for Bernard Herrmann. What would you guess would they charge for it, then? Go figure ...
I'm lost here, or maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in but if you own all of the products of the bohemian bundle EXCEPT Bernard Herrmann, why would you buy the bundle instead of just buying the Bernard Herrmann library, especially since its 150 cheaper .... looks like you're complaining just to complain

SpitfireSupport

Customer Experience
I was thinking hard on how to title this and avoiding any words that might trigger certain people. But it is how it is: On bundles and during sales you used to see an exact calculation how the end result is reached, now, you do not see that any more. Compare how discounts and bundles are presented to you on the VSL site for example and it becomes obvious, what is the right way to do it.
While that might annoy me with most sales Spitfire does, it wouldn't get me to write this tread. There is more ...
Spitfire tells you, that you get 40% on individual products and 30% on bundles on top of the bundle discount, right? Up to 65% discount, they say. Well, how would that logically translate to bundles of which you already own certain products? I'd say, it is pretty straight forward ... calculate the individual value of the products not owned and apply the discounts as they are promised (anything between 30% and 65% of). But that is not actually the case! They calculate the full pride, apply the discount and only substract what you actually paid for the other products! Meanin, if you bought one of those during intro sale, you get less appreciation as a customer, than someone who buys this bundle without having bought anything before.
View attachment 19908
View attachment 19907
Neither can I cope with this in terms of fairness towards a customer who already bought half of their catalogue, nor do I think it is transparent!
And don't tell me to contact support! I already did and they made it perfectly clear, that everything is correct - even after pointing them at the elephant in the room, that this doesn't make ANY sense!
One reason to post this is to make you aware that you should take the time to calculate those bundle discounts from spitfire before buying anything! The other reason is to point at something that is definitively not right and fair by any healthy definition of the word. For me, it is quite clear that I will not continue buying from a company that has such low ethics on transparency and fairness in regard t their sales. In case you think that is standard today, hence, I should not worry 'bout those things, let me tell you this: I will never except for a practice like this become "normal" or "expected". Otherwise, there is no point in having ethics and morals. Everybody screws everybody and that is fair, because everyone does it, right? No, not to me ...
If you own everything in a bundle except for one product, that product (when bought within a bundle) should absolutely be cheaper than if you buy it individually. I'm really sorry if this doesn't appear correctly for you and even sorrier if you contacted our support team and they told you that it was correct. Perhaps I'm missing something but the first sentence in my reply is absolute fact. Can you contact support again and ask for Ben? Thanks, Ben.