Best Woodwinds?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by 5Lives, May 14, 2016.

1. Vovique

Vovique Senior Member

Aug 11, 2013
    It's their first woodwinds sampling attempt, which, based on the quality of Sonokinetic orchestral phrase libraries, will have a beautiful sound to it for sure. If the scripting is on par, they'll have a top shot woodwinds library.

sostenuto and Mundano like this.
  2. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Native instruments woodwinds...that is kind of vague for me. Do you mean the factory instruments?

I'm a little lost here, but now I'm also interested.

You and I have opposing viewpoints on East West Hollywood's English Horn, but I use that and the rest of their woodwinds (plus the Albions) and love them both a lot. Though I'm probably driving people crazy by mentioning EW so much :whistling:

3. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
  4. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
  5. Mundano

Mundano Senior Member

Dec 8, 2015
  6. Mundano

Mundano Senior Member

Dec 8, 2015
  7. chibear

chibear Senior Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Manitoba, Canada
    This thread provided an amazing overview of what's available. Each Library had obvious strengths (and weaknesses) with for me no one really standing out way above the others. I seem to constantly not be running with the pack and here is no different. For me, because of the incredible automation flexibility and possibilities therein, next time I have some time to learn a new library, I'm probably going to pick up Chris' woodwinds. (unless I find something really better in the meantime :P )

Mundano likes this.
  8. Tony Marescalco

Tony Marescalco New Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Man did you put reverb only in Berlin Woodwinds (or more in it)? It sounds so good but wet

9. sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    THX for 'reminder' !!! :thumbsup: Was going thru personal toolbox, and totally spaced Sonokinetic Woodwinds Ensemble ….
    Oldheimers I guess ….... combined with excessive GAS attacks :notworthy:

10. Rodney Money

Rodney Money My wife made me cut my hair.

Mar 6, 2015
    Same reverb on both, but with the default mics on both libraries, Berlin sound is more in the orchestra where CineWinds is more Lord of the Rings solo flute when the hobbits return to the shire after their adventure.

sostenuto likes this.
  11. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Fluffy audio woodwinds? I have only the flute, but it's really agile, has a great legato, multiple mic positions, nice amount of articulations, incredibly customisable options how to use it, very cleanly recorded samples. Don't know how good are the other instruments, but if the quality is the same, it would be a really solid choice.

Quasar likes this.
  12. markleake

markleake Recovering sale addict

Nov 8, 2015
    I always say this, but the Fluffy Audio clarinet is fantastic too! A most wonderful tone, which is hard to get with sampled clarinets.

rottoy and Quasar like this.
  13. markleake

Nov 8, 2015
    @sostenuto. I have the Sonokinetic Woods Ensemble. They are good (albeit with a bit of a poor noise floor sometimes and a few inconsistencies), but I'd recommend getting good solo instruments first before ensembles.

Berlin or Spitfire or CH or VSL or Cinesamples. They are different, have different strengths, and I think some are better value than others. But they're all gonna be good libraries and work well.

sostenuto likes this.
  14. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    There is no best. There's what you like and what you don't.

PerryD likes this.
  15. Leon Portelance

Leon Portelance Composer | Songwriter

Jan 2, 2017
    Corning, California
    Since I got Berlin Woodwinds Legacy, Revive and Expansion A, B & C, I don’t have any desire to use anything else. Although I do add in some Embertone Woodwinds and an Armenian Dudak.

16. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Just got a letter saying Fluffy Audio is having a sale.

Do you (or anyone) think that getting Fluffy's Solo Woodwinds bundle would be redundant if one already has Chris Hein Winds?

17. sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Apologies for 'tedious' inquiry …… Cinesamples is choice from your list due to earlier edu pricing approval.
    BUT FluffyAudio just promo'd Solo Woodwinds Complete Bundle at $199.. Beyond their Clarinets, do the other WW(s) hold up well ? :barefoot:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  18. markleake

Nov 8, 2015
    @Quasar. I don't have Chris Hein Winds, so I can't give any comparison there. It seems to me Fluffy's approach is different though to Hein's... the Fluffy instruments are recorded I think with a bit more expression built in. The Hein instruments may have less of that, but be a bit more versatile. At least the Fluffy clarinet is biased in this way anyway - the benefit is you get a more natural tone and playability, but there are downsides to it also, mainly being that a particular line you have in your head you may not be able to get the instrument to do it perfectly, or at least as easily, because it wants to do its own thing a bit. The Fluffy interface is fantastic: it is very playable out of the box, but also has a lot of tweakability and control. It's an excellent GUI.

The clarinet is the only instrument I have of the Fluffy range. To my ears it's the best instrument in the range going by all the tracks I've heard (and the best clarinet that I personally have heard sampled, in my opinion, in terms of tone!). I am biased though, having been a (fairly casual) clarinet player all my life. The flute comes highly recommend from other folk, so I'm fairly confident it will have the same wonderful qualities also. I've heard less about the other two instruments.

Quasar likes this.
  19. markleake

Nov 8, 2015
    Sorry I can't answer @sostenuto. See my above post... I only have the clarient instrument so far. I do know the flute is very well regarded also, but don't know much about the other 2 instruments.

Suffice to say though, I have eyed getting the others for a while, so maybe now is the time?! :)

Here's something I did a while ago with the clarinet. From memory this is just using the legato articulation only, with me playing the line into the track ad-hoc with no tweaks afterwards. It is capable of some amazingly expressive playing with little effort!

Quasar likes this.