What's new

Best Woodwind Library(ies) for WW Quartet + Quintet writing / mock up ?

Paul Jelfs

Hi ,

I know there is a lot of post about best WW library overall etc , but I wanted some input from people that have used VST Woodwind libraries for smaller, chamber sized Quartets or Quintets (ignoring the French horn for now).

Most libraries do come with Soloists , which will obviously make a big difference, but for any one that has written for these types of ensembles, could you please give some input on which library you felt gave your mock up the best sound for this kind of writing.

I am thinking maybe Synchronized Woodwinds by VSL?

doctoremmet

I don’t have the writing experience (nor skills) you’re looking for, so cannot give you any valuable experience. However, I strongly advise you to examine the XSample Woodwinds (called XSample Complete Part 1). They sound particularly suited (to my ears) for the type of composition / music you aim for. I hope some more experienced actual composers can confirm my suspicions ;) (for clarity: I do own a lot of woodwind samples and these are by far the best ones for me - I’m just not a professional composer).

doctoremmet

I am thinking maybe Synchronized Woodwinds by VSL?
It is generally considered a top tier library, I’d say at least “top 3” material. And VSL’s sound is considered by many to be very much suited for classical arrangements. So I wouldn’t be surprised that VSL WW is extremely suitable...

doctoremmet

It is generally considered a top tier library, I’d say at least “top 3” material. And VSL’s sound is considered by many to be very much suited for classical arrangements. So I wouldn’t be surprised that VSL WW is extremely suitable...
God... the GAS to just purchase VSL Synchron Strings Pro, Synchron-ized Woodwinds and a bunch of BBO brass and some BBO Phoenix and Quasar percussion is strongggg ;) - sorry for the off-topic. @Ben what have you done to me haha

OP
P

Paul Jelfs

Thanks Doc :)

Yes the Xsample libraries really do look fab- are the woodwinds just as good ? Hard finding reviews and videos about them - at least any number

José Herring

Lost in Cyberspace
God... the GAS to just purchase VSL Synchron Strings Pro, Synchron-ized Woodwinds and a bunch of BBO brass and some BBO Phoenix and Quasar percussion is strongggg ;) - sorry for the off-topic. @Ben what have you done to me haha
I know, I had SySPro in the basket about to check out a few minutes ago then I'm like wait! Do I really NEED them?

There will be a Synchron purchase in the near future. Maybe BBO stuff but the strings are still top of the list. Just going through what I have to make sure that I'm not getting something that I can do with my already purchased libraries.

doctoremmet

I know, I had SySPro in the basket about to check out a few minutes ago then I'm like wait! Do I really NEED them?

There will be a Synchron purchase in the near future. Maybe BBO stuff but the strings are still top of the list. Just going through what I have to make sure that I'm not getting something that I can do with my already purchased libraries.
Good man. Wanna bet that both Temme Sikkema in The Netherlands and mister José Herring across the Atlantic will both at least end up with Synchronized WW at some point?

doctoremmet

Thanks Doc :)

Yes the Xsample libraries really do look fab- are the woodwinds just as good ? Hard finding reviews and videos about them - at least any number
Reviews are nearly non-existent. So I went by my gut feeling AND the excellent Soundcloud demos by @Hans Josef (who runs XSample). He is a GOOD composer btw, I have found out that his skills are about 10.000% better than mine ;) - anyway: the libraries sound very good, like in the demos that are there. I sort of bought all of Complete after getting Contemporary Solo Strings, because the latter convinced me and sold me on “the rest”. I kind of have this grand master plan to create some demos and walkthroughs for XSample, especially the woodwinds. They deserve it. They may not be as comprehensive spec-wise as some of the “big name libraries” but I don’t care. They are GOOD.

OP
P

Paul Jelfs

Reviews are nearly non-existent. So I went by my gut feeling AND the excellent Soundcloud demos by @Hans Josef (who runs XSample). He is a GOOD composer btw, I have found out that his skills are about 10.000% better than mine ;) - anyway: the libraries sound very good, like in the demos that are there. I sort of bought all of Complete after getting Contemporary Solo Strings, because the latter convinced me and sold me on “the rest”. I kind of have this grand master plan to create some demos and walkthroughs for XSample, especially the woodwinds. They deserve it. They may not be as comprehensive spec-wise as some of the “big name libraries” but I don’t care. They are GOOD.

Ahhh another library - cant afford ! With the 8Dio special Brass this week , its like too many choices and not enough cash!

Can you tell me how big the Woodwinds are ? And do they have a playable legato patch - i.e. legato that can handle faster runs, or is it all about the Key Switches ?

Thanks again

PJ

doctoremmet

Ahhh another library - cant afford ! With the 8Dio special Brass this week , its like too many choices and not enough cash!

Can you tell me how big the Woodwinds are ? And do they have a playable legato patch - i.e. legato that can handle faster runs, or is it all about the Key Switches ?

Thanks again

PJ
Largely key switching and scripted legato. For plonkable woodwinds I love Infinite Woodwinds. The 1.2 update is imminent - so maybe that one is better suited for your needs? But XSample Woodwinds do sound gorgeous! I also just got the Chris Hein Winds.... (oops).

doctoremmet

Thanks again

PJ
The Century Brass is gorgeous. It should keep you busy for a while, don’t let the GAS stop you from making music!

Top Bottom