Best Way to Deal with Mostly Duplets in 12/8?

Discussion in 'NOTATION Speak: Sibelius, Finale & Dorico' started by Zedcars, May 19, 2019.

1. Zedcars

Zedcars New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Hi,

I'm notating a male vocal part that has lots of duplets and quadruplets in a 12/8 piece. So, in essence, the vocal is singing in straight 4/4 time, while the rest of the band is swung.

I'm wondering if it would be better to notate the vocal part in 4/4 to avoid all the tuplets, and maybe add a rhythmic cue line to clarify that the other instrumentalists will be playing in 12/8?

Here is a snippet of the part:
    BAS-Vocal_Example1.png
    This doesn't change a lot rhythmically, just lots of duplets and quadruplets throughout. Do you think this would be acceptable, or should I change the part to 4/4?

By the way, the non-duplet notes in bars 21 and 28 etc would ideally be 16th note duplets, but I notated them as 8th notes to avoid fussy notation.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Your instinct, I think is correct. I would never write that for a singer / player. It's almost all duple, as you point out. Definitely 4/4 with a triplet where necessary.

Zedcars likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Zedcars

Zedcars New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Thank you. OK, so now i need to go in and re-write it all...painful but necessary I guess. :thumbsup:

JohnG likes this.
  4. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I think you'll be a lot happier with what you get. I agree on the pain side!

Zedcars likes this.