What's new

Best way to control Thrill/Pharlight/Straylight? XY controllers?

theStyg

How do you all control these types of libraries that use an XY grid with two parameters being controlled?

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 12.26.15 PM.png

WindcryMusic

Recording automation with any touch surface or a mouse
Agree with the former at least. A large-sized X/Y pad in a Lemur program on an iPad or other supported tablet (or even a phone, for this purpose) works a treat … I just have the pad control set up to send out two CC values (simple) and then assign them in the Straylight UI. I assume other, less expensive apps like TouchOSC can provide this same, very basic functionality.

Marsen

Alien Member

RobbertZH

After having bought Straylight, I wanted an XY controller. For this I bought the Korg nanoKey Studio, which has an XY touchpad (works straight out of the box with StrayLight). But as the XY mode has three different modes, you may need to select the correct mode first (press the correct button).
As a bonus, I now also have 8 turn knobs, 8 drum pads and two octaves of keys (with octave switch). Everything is programmable.

paulwr

Avid Control on my iPad. I use that for quick panning moves when mixing in Atmos 7.1.4 as well. The capability with Nuendo and Cubase is quite good, even on PC

Marsen

Alien Member
I bought a magic trackpad 2 and it's surprisingly much more responsive on a macmini 2018, than a magic mouse 2. Both connected over Bluetooth.
So next, i'll try Audioswift for xy.

Last edited:

sostenuto

NKS Fan !
Gotta try current Wacom INTUOS tablet (USB) already in place before displays. Should be cool for these NI libs ??

charlieclouser

Yes, Morph at its most basic (with no overlay) can be set up as an X-Y controller that sends whatever pair of CC's you like - as accurate as an Apple trackpad but much larger, and doesn't commandeer your mouse pointer like normal mousing or Swiftpad or whatever. But with the rubbery overlays that snap into place magnetically, and automatically tell the unit + software which overlay is in place, it becomes three or four really cool add-ons in a very small space. The thing is impossibly thin and seems to be made from a single slab of machined metal. No moving parts, no little gaps for dust to get in - it will probably last forever. They even have a developer overlay and SDK that I think will let you define any crazy custom layout you would like. For the money it's fantastic, and having a nice large surface to do X-Y stuff in Thrill / Straylight / etc. makes them a lot more musical and easy to automate.

OP
theStyg

theStyg

Sensel Morph. Bonus is that it can be an MPE keyboard, multi-drum-pad, and Buchla Thunder. Build quality is Apple-level and overall it's killer.
This has earned a place on my ever-growing wishlist. Thanks for the recc!

Top Bottom