Best VST for string runs..?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by bergman, May 21, 2019.

1. bergman

bergman New Member

May 21, 2019
    Hi!

I'm using Cinematic Studio Strings atm and havent yet quite figured our how to make the that runs I want.. (working on it)

What's your favourite library for creating stringruns?

Obviously cineruns comes to mind since it specializes on just that , havent tried it though..

Any recommendations on offer?

Thanks!

Johannes

2. FriFlo

FriFlo Senior Member

Jun 13, 2011
    One library you can get really terrific results with, as long as you stick with what is available is Orchestral Tools String Runs. If you want to hear it in action, I partly used it on the Horror Score I posted in "Members Compositions". Be aware, though, that you have to experiment what sounds good with that library and compose according to that! There are also playable runs included, but you do not get the same liveliness out of those.
    Also, OT have not really put that much attention to keeping this library up to date. It is often frustrating to use and you sometimes get strange (unexpected/wrong/ugly) result when you sequence with it. That is why I can only recommend it half heartedly ... when OT would update it properly and fix some strange things/bugs/mistakes and add some missing pitches via transposition in the runs builder, I would 100% recommend it.
    If you want truly playable stuff, you will never quite reach 100% realism IMO, but I get pretty far with OT Berlin Strings, Spitfire Chamber Strings and Cinematic Studio Strings. There is not one library that is best for everything, sometimes one, sometimes the other and often a combination of two ...

bergman likes this.
  3. LinusW

LinusW Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Kalmar, Sweden
    If I do chamber stuff or layering in pop music, I can get away with the strings runs in Reason (orkester bank) before returning to the other libraries.

bergman likes this.
  4. storyteller

storyteller Senior Member

Dec 26, 2015
    There’s a demo on the CS YouTube page where they walk through the process of creating runs. The process they demonstrate is what many composers have been doing for years with string libraries to get the blur and definition in a run. Not perfect, but it works well in context.

midi-et-quart and bergman like this.
  5. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    Hi bergman, there was a thread about this last week. You also might want to try using the search function, as it is a topic that has been discussed a lot. ;)
    (Although I have noticed that there's a lot of conversations that people like to repeat over and over on this forum.)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    bergman and Consona like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    bergman

bergman New Member

May 21, 2019
    Thanks! Lol, seems I'm not the only one looking for this. Thanks for the suggestions will take a look. Its the more slurred variant I'm having most difficulty with atm.. Marcato works pretty good fore some more defined passages. Yet to try out Berlin Strings and spitfire chamber strings or orkester bank so I'll check it out. Thank you :thumbsup:

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  7. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    AHEM

or just record a much better version in teldex as an expansion for berlin strings??!?!?1?!?

I would pay expansion prices for a culmination of everything they learned from the two libraries to create one in the configuration with BS

FriFlo likes this.
  8. FriFlo

FriFlo Senior Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Sure, I would like that idea as well!Although, I am not to sure how much that kind of library would actually gain from a huge, reverberant room like telex ... glueing lots of individual phrases in quick succession is probably easier with a little less smearing and instead using a bit reverb on the sequence, right?
    Anyway, I would not be against them doing another take on runs! I just think OSR is a good product already and could be even better, if they would just fix some little things (without even having to do additional recordings).

9. Maxfabian

Maxfabian Active Member

Thumbs up for OSR!! Here is a piece where I used OSR together with CSS. I think they work great together:)

Cheers!

Monkberry, Henu, bergman and 2 others like this.
  10. LowweeK

LowweeK Loïc D

Oct 12, 2015
    Paris, France
    From my experience, if one wants to create runs manually -without prerecorded run- a huge attention shall be put in programming also : velocity on first & last note, dynamics in the middle, middle notes not too quantized.
    I’m still learning it using SCS performance legato and it’s very interesting.
    I also watched closely string players when they play runs.
    My next try will be to do the transposing trick on a duplicate track and put micro-changes in the runs to try to get a bit more slurred sound.

Henu, bergman and galactic orange like this.
  11. sneakymax

sneakymax New Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Sonokinetik have some really nice string and woodwind runs in their Capriccio edition, that's my go to now for sure. Orchestral Tools are pretty good but I got so fed-up with all the glitches in their libraries and after A/B'ing their string libraries with Cinematic Strings and Spitfire, I find OT sound thin. Their woodwind libraries sound nice but again have too many glitches. Just my 2 cents.

bergman likes this.
  12. ProfoundSilence

Dec 10, 2018
    "glitches"?

I don't own a mac, but this is the first I've ever heard about OT libraries "glitching". Curious what microphones you were using, that somehow you found the darkest room between the three and felt it was thin. Not to cause any ill will, but just to make sure we're talking about the same libraries - the last time I knew anyone who said it was glitchy didn't actually own it, and was using one of those "tree only" modified versions they pirated - which probably screwed up all of the groups, reaching for samples that aren't there - ect.

Would be odd for someone who can afford 3 mac pros' to pirate anything, but honestly that's the first I've heard of it, and the few libraries from various developers that were glitchy to me - were fixed with a simple batch resave, but again - I'm not on a mac, so any other mac users share max's? experience?

13. sneakymax

sneakymax New Member

Oct 18, 2016
    No not pirated, and not a mic choice. When I say glitches I mean the samples recorded with artifacts in them, or starting the sample just after the attack, or some that were off key. And 'thin' is a subjective thing. I just don't hear a 'fullness' in their strings like I do in other libraries. Don't mean to start a war, just my opinion.

14. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
  15. ProfoundSilence

Dec 10, 2018
    Again, im just wildly curious WHAT mic you used - because I literally can't imagine we are talking about the same libraries... if you mean fullness like lushness - that's an entirely different situation, because then it's about section sizes, but CSS isn't much better, SCS is about the same size, and only SSS is a significant change in players.

So you don't mean physically thin sounding, you just don't hear a 60 piece orchestra.

Still have no idea what artifacts or poorly cut samples you're talking about

16. OP
    OP
    bergman

bergman New Member

May 21, 2019
    Beautiful sound! Will have a look, cheers :thumbsup:

Maxfabian likes this.