What's new

Best vocoder

eross2121

I haven’t had a need for vocoders in a while, but i’m just curious what is out there. Also I just watched the new gemini man trailer and it has a great vocoder in the vocals. any body have any recommendations ?

I'm looking at Vocodex. I demoed Vocodex and NI Razor. Vocodex seems to deal nicely with the higher frequency buzz you often get with vocoders. Razor is quite versatile but suffers from that sharp hf issue.
I hear good things about XILS labs one, but not tried it.
My advice would be to demo. Vocodex has a pretty much full functioning demo, and NI Razor does too. Plenty of youtube vids online about these both.
Vocodex may be going down in price to $39 to coincide with NAMM London.

I'm looking at Vocodex. I demoed Vocodex and NI Razor. Vocodex seems to deal nicely with the higher frequency buzz you often get with vocoders. Razor is quite versatile but suffers from that sharp hf issue.
I hear good things about XILS labs one, but not tried it.
My advice would be to demo. Vocodex has a pretty much full functioning demo, and NI Razor does too. Plenty of youtube vids online about these both.
Vocodex may be going down in price to $39 to coincide with NAMM London.
yeah, i have razor, and it’s pretty cool, but more robotic. i guess i’m looking for a cleaner tone. i’ll check out vocodex. thanks

I've tried several software vocoders, my favorite is the old Prosoniq Orange Vocoder, but it is Mac only. and I'm using Windows, so I've tried a bunch more.

The UAD/Softube Vocoder is quite capable, and really expensive for the number of times I'd use it, so kind of let that demo expire peacefully.

The TAL vocoder is free, or it was, and it does a very credible job. In fact it reminds me quite a bit of my Electro-Harmonix Vocoder.

Cakewalk has/had a synth that could be a vocoder. Pentagon was developed by RGC, so it may resurface.

Klanghaus (I think) had an excellent vocoder, but it was x86 only, and has since disappeared from the marketplace.

Which brings us back to the Orange Vocoder. Not too long ago Zynaptiq announced that they would be updating and re-releasing Orange, for Mac and Windows. I'm looking forward to that!
Of the bunch I think Klanghaus came the closest to what I think a vocoder ought to do.

I've tried several software vocoders, my favorite is the old Prosoniq Orange Vocoder, but it is Mac only. and I'm using Windows, so I've tried a bunch more.

The UAD/Softube Vocoder is quite capable, and really expensive for the number of times I'd use it, so kind of let that demo expire peacefully.

The TAL vocoder is free, or it was, and it does a very credible job. In fact it reminds me quite a bit of my Electro-Harmonix Vocoder.

Cakewalk has/had a synth that could be a vocoder. Pentagon was developed by RGC, so it may resurface.

Klanghaus (I think) had an excellent vocoder, but it was x86 only, and has since disappeared from the marketplace.

Which brings us back to the Orange Vocoder. Not too long ago Zynaptiq announced that they would be updating and re-releasing Orange, for Mac and Windows. I'm looking forward to that!
Of the bunch I think Klanghaus came the closest to what I think a vocoder ought to do.
yeah, I really like the sound of that orange vocoder as well. i saw a namm coverage of the version 4 but i guess it hasn’t been released yet. looks cool though

I like the BV512 vocoder in Reason. The knob for HF emphasis makes it easy to get the right amount of treble. You can also shift modulator bands by swapping cables at the back.

this thing looks very very cool. thanks for suggesting. this might be what i’m gonna head toward
I had Izotope's Vocalsynth (1, yes there is a 2 now) and when I discovered Manipulator I liked it a lot better. It works really well from the extremely subtle to the extreme, and features such as the smooth grains when pitch shifting down are effective. I can't say it's "better" than any other similar tool, only that the UI, workflow (easy to do the MIDI routing) and sonic quality is superb from my POV.

I was fortunate enough to capture this on a really deep sale. I don't remember how much it cost, but it was far less than $149.

If you want hardware, the Electro-Harmonix V256 is a fantastic option!

So much fun to be had if you go hardware! I hear great things about that EHX.

The https://www.amazon.com/Roland-VP-03-Boutique-Vocoder/dp/B01LVTVF2W/ref=asc_df_B01LVTVF2W/ (Roland VP-03) has a very classic sound. It's a digital model of the VP-330, which was used on a ton of stuff. I use it a lot -- e.g.:

Behringer is also releasing a VP-330 clone. Considerably more expensive than the Roland, but you get the keyboard and analog circuitry.

(EDIT: Both of these also net you a cheesy-or-fantastic-you-decide strings synth and "human voice" synth, too. If you're into that sort of thing.)

And Roland has also just released a new vocoder...ish thing, the VT-4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjvyXDHn7qg (Looks fun).

But for software (er... yes... I'm on the the virtual instruments forum!), I think this is great advice, if you already have Reaktor:

There are a bunch of vocoders available for reaktor,

Check this list!

https://blog.native-instruments.com/best-free-vocal-hacks-in-reaktor/

Top Bottom