What's new

Best video calls software for online teaching?

Rob

stale member
I find myself in need of a good software solution to keep doing lessons to my (few) students. I have tried Skype and Zoom, but the quality of the audio really is mediocre to say the least... any other options out there? Specifically looking for audio quality...
Thank you!

Audio for Zoom can generally be greatly improved with the correct routing. The Zoom defaults are terrible for music, and simply turning off the defaults and selecting original audio will greatly improve the sound. I'm told that the best audio quality for Zoom is got by routing audio from a DAW to the zoomaudiodevice because audio sent to zoomaudiodevice bypasses all the zoom audio processing. In practice, I've found that to be a pain and have found that turning on original sound in Zoom and using a program to route audio and microphone into Zoom does a reasonable job in delivering usable audio for class meetings. I use Loopback to route audio but there are many options for this.

Reactions: Rob
If you want to hear your students with good fidelity, you will also need your students to have their Zoom configured correctly so they are also sending good sound.

Reactions: Rob
thank you very much, I'm experimenting with sending audio from a daw I have on my laptop (reaper) and the results are encouraging. Still, when I hold a chord for more than a couple seconds, the sound fades away. Like there's a gate that closes when the level goes below a certain threshold. I have "original audio" enabled, but it makes little difference here. Have to do some more research. Thanks again!

Have you tried Jitsi Meet - https://meet.jit.si/? I'm not sure how it is for DAW audio but worth a try. Doesn't require an account for you or your student, you just send them a link and you're good to go.

Last edited:
I just realised, when I copied the link I put the Jitsi channel in there that I was using yesterday - "librewave". You'll want to remove that from the URL to setup your own meet.

Mmm... what's zoomaudiodevice? Don't seem to have that...
I don't recall how I installed it. At some point I asked Zoom to do something with audio and then it installed it. It may be when I selected share computer audio. Once installed, zoomaudiodevice shows up as an audio device when you look for inputs and outputs from your DAW. This post explains much of it:
You'll need to make adjustments for your own mic inputs/software and there will be some routing differences if you use a PC, but the principle is the same.

The article is not accurate that you need Zoomaudiodevice to make this work, but using it is one way to get it to work and folks who have tested various configurations for fidelity say that using a DAW with Zoomaudiodevice renders the best audio in Zoom and that it is very high quality.

Top Bottom